Guns-A Culture of Stupidity

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 47MartialMan, Nov 2, 2015.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Please bare with me in this

Over the weekend I went to a friend's wedding. He had moved and got married in a large metro city a little over 12 hours drive time away from where I lived. Because of this travel time, and having made arrangements to stay with someone while there, my expenses were low. Because the wedding had conflicted with my wife's work schedule, she could not go with me. With a little anxiety, knowing that I was driving into this particular high-crime city, my wife asked that I take one of my side firearms.

The day after the wedding, some of the fellows wanted to go shooting. We came to a set day and time. I realized, that I had not packed extra ammo for recreational shooting. Therefore, I had to stop at a store that sold ammo long before the shoot. In the store, while waiting for my turned to be waited on, I was browsing. As I was browsing, I could clearly hear conversations between the sales clerk and potential customers;

A: Clerk and Customer "John"
    This exchange was happening before I had entered the store. All firearm dealers have to perform a NICS. Almost all dealers have a direct line to the NICS and can get instant approval. This means with modern technology, there does not have to be a wait of 5 or more days.

The clerk returned to the counter and informed Mr. John, that his background checked returned with a discrepancy.
    Clerk told John, "I thought you said (in the beginning of the transaction) that you did not have a background".

John replied " I do not have a background with the FBI, the only thing I had was a home disturbance a couple of years ago."

Clerk: What kind of disturbance?"

John; " I was arrested for a domestic violence. But I made bail and I am ok."

Clerk: "I am sorry, but it is on record and I cannot sell a gun to you"

The problem with a NICS rejection, is that John, will now look in the paper, or speak to someone else about buying a firearm through a private sale. Only about 12 or 15 States, require that even in private sales, that a background check be made. And this State I was visiting, did not require it. Private sales represent a significant conduit for illegal gun trafficking

I think, ALL states should require background checks for ALL gun sales, licensed and private. For private transfer, that both seller and buyer go to a licensed dealer to have the check done. Of course having a set federal standard fee for a private transaction that slightly gives compensation to the licensed dealer and federal

What are your thoughts?

2. 47MartialMan

B: Clerk and Customer "Cindy"
    Same Clerk with John, Cindy was next in line to be waited on. Unlike any other retail store, a firearm store has clerks taking longer to assist customers. . I had approached the counter as to appear to be looking at guns in the cases so I can get in better position. After a brief greeting:

Cindy: " I need to buy a gun"
    Clerk: " What kind to you think you need/'
    Cindy: "Something for protection

Clerk starts showing different guns to Cindy. He is showing her all of the most common automatics. Into hearing the discussion, it seems like the clerk is in favor of autos. This was to be Cindy's first gun. For a fashion statement, she had long nail extensions on each of her hand. These prevented her from properly racking the slide, and most important, getting her finger into the trigger guard. Cindy, a school teacher, made unreasonable statements what she would do with a gun

But far worse from this, it seemed that the clerk had limited knowledge about gun operation than the legal issues concerning sales. He was demonstrating and trying to have Cindy, rack the slides (on many being tried) by pinching and pulling the slide. This is the most common and most incorrect way to chamber a auto pistol. Not to seem chauvinistic, but this incorrect way is difficult for men of small statue as well as women.

The clerk did not bother to show Cindy revolvers (which, IMHO, are far easier and better for women). The clerk did not bother to inform Cindy, that she should take gun ownership very responsibly. And as Cindy kept saying why and how she intended to use her gun, the clerk did not bother to tell Cindy she should take a CCW course which includes training on responsibility and safety,. And the far worse I have ever witnessed for any firearm sale, is the clerk showing Cindy the types of bullets with the said gun, still out of the case.

I think, it should be mandated, ALL firearm sellers know about ALL of the firearms that sell, as well has knowing how to determine the customer's needs. I think, ALL firearm sales should mandate a firearm responsibility/safety course (of reasonable length) before and sale as well as a mental health check. In other words, no one gets a gun without these.
    What are your thoughts?

I would like to state, more laws such as banning, etc., will not stop gun crimes. There have been shootings, where the gunman either had guns previously before their mental state (James Eagan Holmes and , or obtained from a relative (Adam Lanza).

Anyway, I am hoping John and Cindy will not get into trouble with firearms, although the odds they will

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

"I need it for protection"

/facepalm

BUY A FLAK JACKET AND AN EMERGENCY PHONE. The gun probably won't do her any good. It's like defending yourself with a sword against another person whos swinging theirs and yours is in the scabbard. You can do it, but you need to be bloody skilled.

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

They're both incredibly common sense suggestions that are the sort of thing the rest of the world looks at Americans arguing about and wonders what the balls they're doing.

I don't say that as a cheap jab at you or the other Americans on here either. I just don't think you've suggested anything revolutionary. As I say they're both simple common sense and are genuinely things that leave people over here confused when the anti-regulation crowd argue against them.

Also Cindy is going to die. That sounds like the kind of person who'd keep their gun in a deep handbag under a purse, a change of clothes, and a small dog.

5. 47MartialMan

Same can be said for martial arts :evil:

The problem from both sides of the "Pro Guns" and "Anti-Guns" is "fear"
    "Pro Guns" fear their guns will be taken away. Although with many gun laws, there is such a thing as "Collector Grade", "Grandfather or Pre-Ban"
    "Anti-Guns" fear that guns cause too many deaths. Although there were a lot of gun deaths in wars and society in the 60's and car crashes kill a higher percentage than guns

I am not at all offended. It is the violent society mixed with the "love affair" with guns making it a powder keg. It will be hard to change such a society

Yeah, that was one of the things she said. She mentioned a purse snatcher. I had to step in their conversation a few times. I told her that if someone snatches her purse, her gun will go with it, and it will be used in a gun crime. I told her, a purse snatcher waits for a opportunity, and a gun in her purse will not prevent that. I had suggested a "fanny pack holster" (along with her purse separate) I told her to not only keep her gun in the fanny pack, but also important documents such as I.D., Credit cards, etc. She frown upon the "fanny pack" as she said it would not be stylish. I had also told her about the brazziere holster. She frown upon that too. I also stated that she should to get a permit before carry. She frown upon that too, stating that will cost more money. I asked her how could she put a price on responsibility?

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Or one of Cindy's children or their friend. :(

7. Southpaw535

Or the dog!

I've also never heard of a brassiere holster. That's a new one. Looks like a lot more effort than a waistband one (opinion from someone who has never and likely will never use a gun) though.

8. 47MartialMan

More likely a child, friend, or it will get stolen and used on someone else

I have been to many firearm shows and speak to many firearm enthusiasts... yes, they make a "bra" holster. Perhaps a woman reaching for her gun, a male might get distracted looking at her going into her bra :)

9. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

After a quick google search , I can't see it being much use if you're wearing anything more than just a top.
    That said , I can see the point being made about a gun at the bottom of a purse/bag.

10. Southpaw535

Yeah I had a google after you mentioned it. But they look like you'd either have to fight with the strap, or the angle looks awkward. I guess I can see the concealment bonus having it tucked under your bosom rather than making a dent in your shirt but even so. It looks less useful than a normal shoulder or waistband one.

11. 47MartialMan

Most women I have spoken to, do not like the shoulder or waistband (as they wear sweat -loose clothing a lot

Google the "fanny pack holster", these women I spoken to use that one

12. 47MartialMan

I only found these videos, but I'm sure there maybe others

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yku7c0GO58g"]Drawing From A Fanny Pack by Gomez-Training.com - YouTube[/ame]

http://guns.wonderhowto.com/inspiration/flashbang-bra-holster-for-fast-and-sexy-draws-0127639/

As for Cindy, she seemed like she did not bother to realize the importance of gun safety/responsibility/legality. Out of a irrational fear, all she seemed she wanted to do was to shoot someone.

Have I mentioned she is a teacher? How can one who "teaches", not follow the same structure and apply it to learning?

13. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Also this.

14. 47MartialMan

Thanks for that....I always liked the fanny holster. But here is a thought: I became aware of many accidental shootings from people I knew, or they knew of

A gun, loaded or not has to be treated with a lot of caution. Guns will go off when people draw them from waist holsters, while cleaning - forgetting a round is chambered, pointing them unsafely, etc.

I wonder how many accidental shootings, fatal of not, was caused by the "bra holster"?

More about Cindy later

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Because she's a human being as well. And fear trumps vocational training.

That said, hers sounds like a terrible plan.

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

More than were caused by not owning a gun to begin with, I'd guess.

17. 47MartialMan

Yes, I understood the answer to my question. I understand the part about fear. (Per my post #5) Especially irrational fear. I know two gun dealers, and people buying, it is the same.

If people see someone in government, looking to put a ban or feel like a ban, people go on a irrational fear frenzy in buying (Obama's first term)

If there are many gun crime on television, esp in someone's city, again, there is a irrational fear frenzy in buying

The same irrational fear people go to martial art classes believing this is self defense

I hardly succumb to irrational fear. I guess it was the way I was raise or how I am studious prior to, in anything I am about to pursue

Per my post #14, I have know people to accidentally discharge their firearms, esp a few hunters. People ought not become relax and complacent

18. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i must ask martial man - what exactly was your plan in with the gun in going through a high crime area?

If someone attempted to rob you at a traffic light buy gun point, they'd surely already have the drop on you so how would you having your gun make you any safer?

I dont understand the "guns to stop guns" argument... its clearly just an endless circle of people trying to protect themselves from other people.

19. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

apparently, according to the original post, big city = high crime.

20. 47MartialMan

150% AGREE.

IT WAS TO ALIEVE THE ANXIETY FROM MY WIFE

PEOPLE THINK BY HAVING A GUN, THIS CREATES A INVISIBLE BULLET PROOF SHIELD.

I CAN SAY THE SAME FOR STUDYING MARTIAL ARTS

CAPS STUCK