GSP and his OCD

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by pseudo, Feb 23, 2014.

1. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

2. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

good for him, mental health disorders are at their most dangerous when ignored and it seems he's not gonna let this one run rampant.

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Glad to see him bringing it up. Having a son with severe OCD, I can tell you its a bear.

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

AHA!!!!

I was right!!!!!!

When he "took a break" I was thinking about how what he was saying and thinking he had OCD. Allo when he had issues and Dana White didn't think they were bad, but GSP did- Well that was one clue to me.

I have OCD, you just recognize other OCD people sometimes. So glad he is talking about it. He would be a good spokesperson to help people understand it.

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Man, I should get back to the MMA gym! :)

6. MJJ

MJJ New Member

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

There's nothing in either article that says OCD to me. Obsession with winning is something all successful athletes have - it's not necessarily (or likely) OCD, it's just drive.

Now if he said he was obsessed with winning because he was convinced that his family would die if he lost - now that would be an obvious case of OCD.

8. MJJ

MJJ New Member

If a person thinks they have any medical condition they should really see a doctor to get a proper diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

9. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Maybe he was only satisfied with winning by decision (after counting down from 10-1 missing odd numbers) and would have demanded an immediate rematch if he won any other way....

10. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I don't know...I've seen some vids of Georges training and he seems too well-rounded in his methodology for an Obsessive. When my oldest son (severe OCD) trained in MA for example, he would initially begin gymnastics to complement his TKD and would end up doing nothing but gymnastics before too long.

LOL, I remember right around we put him in boxing, he became obsessed with Chuck Liddell and impressed everyone with mastering Liddell's odd, downward from a blind angle overhand right. Had it down, with a surprising bit of power for his age.

But that's all he would do, nothing else in Liddell's repertoire (or any one else's) interested him.

I can see Georges being an extremely uptight fellow, however - wound tight as a whip-coil wire - perhaps he thinks this is OCD?

11. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

12. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Now if he could just master Mayweather's shoulder roll, he'd have it all!