Grrr

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by TheMightyMcClaw, Sep 22, 2006.

1. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

My BJJ club offers a women's Self-defense class on friday nights. I told the head of the club that I was interested in self-defense stuff, and that I'd like to show up even though I'm not a woman. The answer, of course, was no.
    Now, mind you, I'm usually busy friday nights and wouldn't able to show up. But still, I'm upset on principle. I feel like I shouldn't be barred from taking a self-defense class just because I lack ovaries. Sexist jerks.

Ok, venting over.

2. AuntiePink

AuntiePink Naughty Member

Is there any special reason you wanted to learn how to use high heels and a nail file to the best effect?

3. Beltless

Beltless Banned Banned

Um, firstly I'm in this thread by accident, and secondly, as dear Auntie said, Why the hell do you want to learn self defence for woman? Of course they'd say no. Woman go to woman self defence classes because they're confident around other woman, if there's a man present it just defeats the whole object. Are you serious? This is retarded. I'm sorry.

4. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

Yeah it has to be said that womens self-defense courses are specifically designed for women and what they have available. You would be much more suited taking up a male or mixed self defense class and/or martial art like Muay Thai.

5. [T][K][D]

[T][K][D] Valued Member

I believe the key word here ladies and gentlepeople is WOMEN's self defense classes. Why would you want to join a ladies class? The only reason why they have those is so that women can develop their confidence and technique without the presence testosterone pumped male being too aggressive.

6. Emil

Emil Valued Member

I supose they could use him as a dummy

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm seconding (or thirding) what's been said already. It's a women's self-defense class. And much of the psychological work that should be a part of any good women's self-defense class needs to be done without the presence of men. For a time at least. Don't get bent out of shape about it. There are plenty of other training opportunities for you without jeopardizing something that's unique to them.

8. tellner

tellner Valued Member

What they all said. Women who want the best out of their skills should work with men at some point. But many or most do much better if they start off in an all-female class. There are psychological issues, trust issues and social issues. In fact, we had a policy that no men were allowed into the classes except teachers and attacker/dummies. It really is the way to go particularly since we informally estimate that between a quarter and a third of our students over the years had had at least one Really Bad Day.

9. elektro

elektro Valued Member

You could persuade them if you were prepared to be the cannon fodder I suppose........ :p

10. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

Thats pretty much what I was thinking. Not in a silly way either. Maybe you'd have a better chance if you went to pretend you're an attacker or something?

11. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

I don't see what the problem is....it's a 'womens self defense class' not a mixed or male one. Unless you're not telling us or your instructor something...

If you're not a woman, what gives you the right to go to a womens self defense class?!

12. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Hehe, I'm liking the idea.

13. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

I'll have to agree with...everyone lol. As a womans self defence class the attacks and defence is used for an advantage on being a woman. So some if not most possibly all the techniques available in the class wouldn't benifit a man in anyway...

There are however plenty of normal self defence classes in which are more suited to men as thats who they are designed for..

Its just what sex they cater for in that specific class. If its womens only they'll cater for women. You'll only feel like an idiot when its time for something you as a man either can't do or would never be able to use ... I.e say they use hitting an attacker with a hand bag or taking off high heels and using those?

14. Emil

Emil Valued Member

I'n a male self defence class, you will learn certain techniques, e.g. getting a lot of power into your punches. In a female self defence class, you wont learn this, because unless those women have been training those punches for a long time, the chances are they wont do much damage with it. So, they are taught techniques that allow them to get away, as opposed to learning how to fight.

15. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Warrior Poet

Exactly my thoughts, do you really want to spend every Friday night being kicked repeatedly in the knackers? :confused:

(or is that your fetish and your just trying to get it on the cheap? :eek: ) :D

16. Beltless

Beltless Banned Banned

This is like a 30yr old man wondering why McDonald's wont let him join in an 8 year old's birthday party....

See what I mean?

17. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

lol. I'm not sure if you mean its not meant for him, he'd stick out like dogs balls, or if its a kind of wolf amongst the sheep type thing. jk

18. tellner

tellner Valued Member

All joking aside, being the attacker in one of these classes is a terribly difficult job. Do it right, and you can be a great help. Do it wrong, and you can ruin students forever, re-traumatized them and generally mess things up worse than you could imagine. It requires a lot of training and sensitivity. And if you're the kind of person who can be trusted to do it you will pay a heavy emotional price.

19. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

I still can't get over this thread... I mean, why would you want to....womens defense...you're male....

Where's the OP? I want him to explain this a bit better.

20. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

LMAO! Yeah, I can see what you mean.