Groundwork ever used it?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by morphus, Oct 14, 2005.

1. morphus

morphus Doobrey

The subject of having experience of groundwork & techniques is always being brought up by somebody or other here on the forum. But has anyone ever used a specific ground technique(even if you just past through it) 'on the ground' in an actual live street situation? - & i would rather avoid the restraining tech's. If so what was the situation (keep it as brief as poss') & what did you use?

2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Not groundwork, but I've used a LOT of grappling :D

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yes. i usually manage to stay out of trouble but one time at a party i was talking about martial arts with a guy who practiced tkd. i was a bit drunk at the time and might have said something to **** him off, not sure what- either way he said lets do some sparring out back, and of course in my drunken state i thought this was a great idea. it didnt take long for me to figure out his idea of sparring was to try and take my head off. i was sober enough to realise that he was going to kick my ass standing up, so i tackled him to the ground and used an armlock until he started screaming. my friends broke it up and kicked him to the curb. this was while i was still doing judo and used a kimura lock that we had been drilling for about 3 weeks :D

4. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

I love that one :D

5. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Not quite what i was after - i don't quite consider that live street....live &
    Good though!

6. Swoop

Swoop Valued Member

I've used it on a few occasions. You don't have to be on the ground to make use of grappling. I put someone in a heel-hook from standing once. Once I locked it on he went down screaming.

There was another time when I nearly got KO'd. Me and a mate got into a drunken fight outside a pub (long story, I didn't start it). This guy suddenly swung at me and cracked me right on the jaw. I could feel my legs turn to jelly (it is a horrible feeling). I lunged forward at him and held onto him until my head cleared, kept his arms tied up so he couldn't hit me, then moved around to take his back. Once I had his back I pushed him against a wall and dropped him with elbows.

7. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I've once wished very VERY badly that I had groundfighting, I was standing on near shot ice at the time and instead of trying to pre-emptively strike I held back partly in fear that i would end up on the ground with the guy when i should have just hit him pre emptively. Worked out ok in the end but I should have hit and run really.

8. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Well, I know I'm hardly a conoseur on groundwork etc but I've read soem stuff about NHB and tried it on a few occasions and used what ninjutsu I did to make it nice and nasty.
    Basically I was on a cadet 'Field Skills Exercise' (You can beat someone silly so long as there is no evidence you did it). Two peeps went for me, so the first I did a odd stopping technique where you drop your weight and sorta push then back and knocked him over then the second tried to rugby tackle me but I slumped on him, got into a back-mount and restrained him with a strait arm lock.

Ok gimmie a break :D

9. royder1976

royder1976 Valued Member

I once got in a fight after a night out at a club when some guy got upset because we bumped into each other. He came at me walking at a fast pace and I hit him with a jab and a right and her fell back but he grabbed my shirt and I fell down with him. He had about 40 lbs on me and he rolled on top of me and I just choked him out from the bottom until he could not move and got up and took off.

10. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Yes used Ground and Pound a few times.
    Used a Guillotene choke as well
    Reversed position once leading onto the Ground and pound.

Had to cover up on a number of occasions and not get Ground and Pounded.

11. TheGnome

TheGnome New Member

Not sure if you would consider this real or not, but I used to work in psychiatric institutes where people would be restrained alot. As a Judoka I was able to restrain people on my own when it usually would take 2 -4 other staff people. Often these people were really trying to hurt themselves, or you, so the potential consequences of a bad technique were real. My teacher asked me once I just didn't choke people out. My guess is the administration would have frowned upon that. The only bad thing was that it got to the point that whenever someone was getting out of control my phone would ring. I was a therapist, not a security guard, so it often interfered with my work.

12. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

A few off of the top of my head (not that I get into a lot of fights mind ;) ).

Pushed off of my stool in a pub, dragged the guy down with me and secured armbar from underneath. Held it whilst the guy screamed and we got split up by the bar staff.

Knocked down onto the ground, secured high guard and went to work with fists and elbows on the guys face.

Secured high mount for a GnP a couple of times.

Executed a guard sweep to escape a GnP once.

Taken a guy to the ground and secured back control and RNC.

Executed a few sweeps on standing opponents after being knocked down.

Also, curled up into a ball and recieved a total kicking a few times. Though I don't think that was what you were after ;)

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Does crawling on hands and knee's out of the pub when absolutley blind drunk count as ground work?!:D

In that case yes. I am undefeated champion! :eek:

14. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Oh yeah, I forgot to add of course the obligatory dozensa of times as a bullied kid I had another kid sitting on ym chest pummeling me and I was left wishing I had some ability to get them off me.

15. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

Yeah, walking back from a bar across a field at night, my brother got into a fight with a guy, took him down and put him in an armbar... told the guy to chill or he'd break his arm... guy agreed and my brother lets it go, then the guy tackles him... my brother grabbed his foot and put him in an ankle lock and tore it, then we just walked away.

16. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

I got thrown on the ground once by 6 dudes. After 10 seconds of kicks I stood up and elbowed a guys face against the roof of my car.

Thats the end of my story.

17. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Ground n pound a couple of times (well, once, the other time was sidemount n' knees ;) ) but it's never been "Sever by armbar." I've used a fair amount of standup grappling to avoid hitting the ground as well