Groundfighting

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Timmy Boy, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Shotochem

Shotochem Master of Baby-Do-Jitsu..

Not only is there a need for more ground skills, but more clinching and grabbing then striking. Most people do not even know how to properly sweep and throw an opponent either. Most scrums with an untrained fighter fall into the grab and hit category. If you don't know what to do when you've
    been grabbed.......it's over. :eek:

I would personally prefer all of the above to rolling on the ground any day. :cool:

2. James R

James R New Member

I am in the UK and I have had some a fight or two on the street in the past. On two occasions I ended up on the ground, but for a split second only as my instinct was to get back up - and it was not the instinct of my opponents to join me there and armbar me.

I do Systema now. The groundwork is effective and not too technical. The emphisis is on conserving energy and keeping yourself safe until you can find a way to a better position (usually back on your feet, or kneeling on your opponents head or some such). I have found the Systema approach quick to learn, and effective at keeping your average bjj or judo guy at bay (though you cant 'beat' them on their own terms).

Systema also does a lot of work with you on the ground and the other guy still standing, and this is excellent.

Of course it all works by psychic energy:D.

Regards

J

3. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

I am beginning to hate the term groundfighting. All fights are on the ground unless you can fly!

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Can you think of a better term?

5. firecoins

parallel parking?

horizontal dancing?

wrestling?

submission grappling?

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Useless. And taken.

But groundfighting covers getting them to the ground, before they're horizontal. Besides, in the mount, one guy is vertical.

Too broad. Covers everything from backhold wrestling (which concludes at the ground) to sumo.

Doesn't describe chokes or those cases when someone doesn't submit and you end up breaking something.

They're just terms dude. We don't stop calling airplanes "airplanes" just because occassionally they land.

Stuart

7. Shen Yin

Shen Yin Sanda/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Both.

8. firecoins

the first 2 were jokes.

Grappling covers it. Your right we don't call an airplane something else because it lands but wrestling or grappling cover it because it describes the entanglement between 2 fighting parties. It describes their distance. Since most grappling/wrestling usually end up with both parties on the ground.

By the way choke holds are apart of submission grappling.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah dude. I got that. I was joking back.

Okay. But neither is very precise. Groundfighting is the popular term for a certain subset of grappling/wrestling. If you'd like to launch a one-man campaign to change it, I'm not stopping you. I'm just mystified.

Of course they are in practice. But your post was about semantics. "We're always on the ground." Semantically, a guy doesn't submit when you choke him out. He might submit prior to being choked out. But literally, if he goes out, he didn't submit. Right?

Stuart

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  10. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

<pedantic>Well if they aren't in the air you can't rightly call them airplanes, they must be landplanes</pedantic> I suggest we use more neutral terminology: We will just refer to all planes as Bill from here on out and groundfighting will be known as Nancy. There, problem solved; I'm off to make a peace treaty in the Middle East. :D

11. firecoins

Nancy is good name. I am against Nancy. You can prevent Nancy by poking anyone trying Nancy in the eye.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

See that Brian? Bcullen has brought us together and solved our differences. Long live Bcullen.

By the way, sorry. Didn't mean to harp on you. It just reminded me of the sort of debate my good friend Daws and I habitually get into. No hard feelings, yeah?

Stuart

13. Ressla

Ressla Valued Member

Anyone who has Sky in the UK can watch MMA every night of the week for free (ie not ppv). Channels like Bravo and Player are pumping it out every weekday evening.Plus we get the latest UFCs only 18 hours after showtime.

14. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

I think you'll find that very few people train in BJJ exclusively... unless they've bought into Rorion's propaganda of the ultimate martial art.

Even Royce Gracie trains in kickboxing, and Rorion's sons box and wrestle on the side.

In my BJJ class, just about all of us cross train in striking arts. We love striking, but reality is that ground happens.

15. Ressla

Ressla Valued Member

To answer the original question. I am never going to be a professional UFC fighter. Neither am I going to be a amateur MMA competitor. Or for that matter compete in a tournament of any description.

When I train,I do so for the sole purpose of street defence. I train submissions and groundfighting, but its less than the amount of stand up I do.

Why? I feel if I am attacked,its likely to be by "Joe Average Thug" who will be bigger than me or have plenty of ugly friends.

He's unlikely to have just stepped out of training from Next Generation Jiu Jitsu.
    I doubt I'll need to worry if my half-guard game is tight enough.

The chances are my somewhat limited groundfighting abilities are still going to be 50 x more than what mr thug knows.

16. firecoins

none at all

17. Connovar

Connovar Banned Banned

I concur that there were lots of groundfighters around even before he UFC. Lots of wrestlers etc and some judo and jiu/jitsu practioners.

For me BJJ offers someone like myself (who is 51 and counting) the ability to still mix it up full speed and full power with younger guys and not get beaten up so much you cant walk the next day. I had to give up boxing after getting a c6 disc problem but I can still spar full power in bjj. Its not my primary method for self defense. I depend upon RBSD type systems for that, but the bjj does make a good back up.

So for me it functions both a back up for self defense and a means of continuing to spar. Its also a hell of a lot of fun! :)

18. firecoins

Same here. BJJ for sparring and an RBSD as my primary sd.

19. DRMA

DRMA Valued Member

In Australia we don't have wrestling in highschool like America. We no longer have UFC even on pay TV so there isn't much exposure. I think the chances of getting in to a fight in a bar or whatever with any martial artist is slim let alone a BJJ expert. Still it is quite posible with the internet and everything that popularity in such arts will grow or people will try to mimick a ground and pound or something but I wouldn't think the odds are high.

20. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I have sky but I don't get bravo as it's not on my package.