ground boxing arts?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Gong_Sau_Rick, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

Hey does anyone know about any of the so called ground boxing arts, such as Dog Kung Fu and Monkey Kung Fu?

I know that sounds ridiculous but it's an honest question.

Hmmm... how the hell would you generate striking power on the ground?

2. Satsui_No_Hadou

Satsui_No_Hadou Ultra Valued Member

I posted a little on Dog Kung Fu on another thread, found some info in wikipedia. Look it up, it has some links at the bottom of the article!

3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I have done elements from Monkey kungfu - from what I did you don't spend that much time on the ground: going down the the ground and coming back up again seems to be a re-occuring theme for evasion.

The monkey is agile and light footed so it resembles moving in and out, down and up (basically using you agility as an advantage).

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

You generate power by pushing up off the ground, you just use your arms and body instead of your feet. Certainly in dog boxing there are more sweeps and elevators than strikes anyway.

5. jmd161

jmd161 Hak Fu Mun

In Monkey and Dog boxing the idea is to send your opponent crashing to the ground, by various leg sweeps and trips etc.. It's not intended to stay on the ground and fight with them. Many styles have various forms of trips, and sweeps intended to do the samething.

jeff:)

6. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

I dont know much about the arts you asked about but Harimau Pentjak Silat is a very good ground fighting style,lots of ground kicks,takedowns,weapon training from and to the ground etc :)

7. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

Dog Style is supposed to concentrate primarily on groundfighting techniques

8. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

I heard that Dog Boxing techinques are employed while you are on the ground and your opponent is standing. The objective is to sweep and bring your opponent down with your legs as they try to attack you.
    A friend of mine saw a demo in China years ago and told me that the practitioner spends most their time on their backs.
    Interesting.....it brings BJJ to mind a little bit.
    Saying that I don't think the objective is to stay on the ground rolling.
    I haven't seen anything of Dog Boxing so I can't comment much further.

9. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

I remember i was talking to my sihing about how it is so difficult to use our styles in the ring against a BJJ fighter. He said Dog Style is all about grounding and submitting (and also ground and pound :D) your opponent. He said if you look at it, it is very similar to BJJ. I've also seen some HG guys who just CAN'T be taken down...they're SCARY good :D