Greetings from Minnesota

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Darth Cyrus, May 19, 2006.

1. Darth Cyrus

Darth Cyrus New Member

I would like to say hi to everyone.

To introduce myself I would like to say I am 36 years old married and father of 3 (ages 9, 6 and 10 months, which makes scheduling martial arts hard to do). I have always found martial arts intriguing and exciting, not just for the self defense aspect but the history that is behind each style. In college, I took a self defense class that was RBWI based. I wasn't overly impressed with it but did teach me some basic self defense moves.

Last year my 6 year old daughter joined Kung Fu (and loves it). I decided to join with her as I needed to do some sort of activity to get back in shape and I am not a traditional sport person (basketball, baseball, soccer). Needless to say I am loving it. It is Wu Shu style plus the Sifu takes 15 minutes to teach 24 posture Tai Chi. Sifu also takes time to talk about the history of Kung Fu and China which is another part I like.

Right now I am looking for another Martial Art to study. I found a Bujikan Budo Taijutu dojo really close to me and will probably join in August. Hapkido is another one I am interested in but due to schedule and time that will have to wait.

I found this website while searching and studying martial arts and love it here. I have found it very informative. Thanks for all the information.

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Welcome to MAP. Where in minnesota are you located?

Gin Foon Mark, one of the most respected masters of Jook Lum Southern Praying Mantis teaches out of st. paul minnesota. I highly recommend the style, and I'm sure that Gin Foon Mark will provide you with an excellent martial arts education if you decide to take from him.

3. Darth Cyrus

Darth Cyrus New Member

Thanks for the input.

I am in Eden Prairie, a suburb of Minneapolis, so about 1/2 to 45 minutes away from St. Paul depending on where in St. Paul it is. Which isn't bad.

I will look into Gin Foon Mark.