Grapplers have bad balance

Discussion in 'Judo' started by AAAhmed46, Nov 30, 2005.

1. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

.....is the biggest myth i have ever heard.

I hear that from alot of karate/kung fu/ TKD guys.

I go to a karate school that has grappling. And seriously, it made me believe the opposite: Grapplers USUALLY have BETTER balance, or atleast a different type all together from strikers. Grappling involves finding where your opponent has the least balance and capitalising on it. Doesnt that involve good balance to defend against?

2. TsukinoKage

TsukinoKage New Member

Whoever said that must be kidding.

Balance is one of the most important aspects in grappling, especially Judo.

3. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Bad posture? No. I've heard grapplers have bad breath, but bad posure?

4. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

A while back, on MAP some guy was saying that the striker would get the grappler to kick, thus making him off balanece because "Grapplers have bad balance, so standing on one leg would be a problem.

My ass.

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

so how do you get a grappler to kick, is that one of those jedi mind tricks :D

6. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

....and you probably wont have time to wait around EDIT: waiting for the kick and will end up on the ground or getting thrown.

And as ikken said, why would a grappler kick?

Man, people are stupid.

Thier masters say: OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH Karate is the worlds greatest art! UFC BAD! GRACIE BAD! JUDO BAD!ONLY KARATE

*Repeat with TKD and kung fu*

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  7. gutsglorydesire

gutsglorydesire New Member

:D :D I would really like to study in this masters class who before every Punch says:" OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH Karate is the worlds greatest art! UFC BAD! GRACIE BAD! JUDO BAD!ONLY KARATE"

Seriously man your post made no sense . I dont know who told you what about grappling but you seem to have an issue about all other martial arts.

Just who in their right mind would say grapplers have bad balance? :bang:

8. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Please don't stereotype my art from one comment which one person on an internet forum may or may not have said. I believe my opinion would also be shared by the other TMA stylists you mentioned in your post as well. Thanks.

9. fanatical

fanatical Cool crow

Please don't take wild comments about people's general ignorance as a personal insult directed at you.Thanks.

10. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

I love people who plan fights to their eventual win.

"He would do this and I would do this then they would do this and I would do this for teh win!!!111oneoneone"

Fuds.

11. fanatical

fanatical Cool crow

Brido, that is a classic.

12. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Dude, you've formed an entire thread around making up some crap, attributing it to some people from other arts, then proceding to bash the other other arts for saying something that you made up!

Martial artists are still individuals, you can't group 3 whole styles (karate, kung-fu and tkd) into a single mindset - especially a made-up, paranoid one where they all hate you!

This bit's true though! :D :D :D

13. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

I think Picasso would have something to say about that...

14. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Touché! :D

15. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

I have bad balance. But it isn't from grappling.

16. JSun

JSun Valued Member

Maybe the generalization that grapplers have bad balance is refering to balance at the point of full extension of a high kick, surely not when both feet are on the ground. Example, look what happened in the Franklin/Shamrock match. Shamrock shoots a high round kick @ Franklin's head, misses and down/pounded he goes. I think we all know it takes a lot of practicing high kicks to throw one and still have a somewhat stable base. What I've experienced in BJJ are kicks that are thrown are low and generally precede a shoot for the takedown.

17. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I don't think that grapplers have bad balance.

However, I have found that since I started attending MMA classes, in which we do standing and ground grappling, that I have much better balance than most of the guys in my class, because we did a lot of "pure" balance training in my kung fu via listening hands. Generally, the guys in that class have a real hard time taking me down, performing arm drags on me, etc, while I have a pretty easy time doing the same on them.

This doesn't so much apply to the more skilled guys. Their speed, power, and balance is easily better than mine.

18. Dae Han

Dae Han New Member

I've never heard any martial arts master say somethin as dumb as grapplers having no balance.
    So God knows where you heard it.. but it's BS.

19. Evil Betty

Evil Betty Birdy, birdy birdy

I don't understand how anyone can think grapplers have bad balance. Balance is extremely important in grappling.

20. kumikaze

kumikaze valved ember

Of course grapplers have bad balance... What else could explain the fact that they spend most of their time lying on the floor, trying to figure out which way is up!