"Grandmaster" Jae Jeannotte

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by JTMS, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm sorry that is true, in my defence every American who has said this phrase has said it wrong.

"Colour" should be spelt with a "u".

2. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

This is an interesting topic. I think that rank means way more to us "martial arts geeks" than the general public. Most of my students are in their early twenties and have never been aware of martial arts at a time when there was no MMA, and grew up watching sport fighting. They do not care what what rank their instructor is. I can tell youthat most people their age would rather learn from someone who is physically fit and can demonstrate actually effectiveness who is first dan, than someone who is a grandmaster ninth dan that can't. When they check out classes, they don't ask "what rank are you?", they ask "do you spar?" and "do you you do live training?". Say what you will about how MMA is killing the traditional arts, but I think attitudes like this are a good thing. What's cool about these young people is that even though they grew up with MMA, they still appreciate the traditional aspects of the arts like discipline and courtesy.

Also, rank in the Hapkido is pretty much meaningless in terms of what it terms of how it relates to skill. It is also pretty easy to get rank from the plethora of martial arts organizations around. I am pretty certain that were I to go "rank shopping", I could end up with several dan grades higher with the right ammount of cash. Another thing is that everyone is obsessed with getting rank from a Korean organization, but people who actually know how things work understand that this is, in and of itself, pretty much meaningless as well. A Korean instructor in town from Busan visited my club and laughed about this, saying that anyone who paid money could go to Korea and get any rank they wanted. This same guy has been a 6th dan since the early nineties, and rumor has it, has turned down offers of rank from Korean orgs because he just doesn't feel it's important. Of course there are still legit instructors with high rank from Korea orgs also, but it's just not a given.

Another Korean master (who lived int the US) came to my club who was a 6th dan and was very highly skilled. A few months later I got a call from another guy from his organization who wanted train with our group who was a second dan. When he showed up and trained it was obvious that he was AT LEAST as skilled as the first guy and probably more so.

I have what I consider to be a meaningful rank, but it means nothing to prospective students if I cannot demonstrate skills in a way they find meaningful. While the general public cannot appreciate the subtleties of many hapkido techniques, they still have a better idea than martial arts instructors like to give them credit for.

There will always be consumers who are impressed by rank, but (fortunately I think) this is changing, as they begin to understand what we in the martial arts community have known for along time (if we are honest) about hapkido rank.

EDIT: My philosophy is: don't pursue rank, pursue skill. If you have the skill, and are in a good org, the rank will come. If you pursue only rank, well...you will be able to find that, I'm sure.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  3. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

And the past participle of "spell" shouldn't be spelled with a T. :evil:

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well done Sir! :D

5. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Any time you speak, read, or write in English instead of German you can thank our American grandfather's.;)

6. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Lions & tigers, and [political] bears (oh my, no!). :evil:

7. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

We should all just speak Welsh. :)
    Cymru am byth!

8. warrior monk1

warrior monk1 Banned Banned

Grand Master Jae Jeanotte

I just read your interview with GrandMaster Jae Jeannotte in Hapkido. I trained with GRM Jae for five years and he is for real. I have seen piles of diploma,s given to Grm Jae. He is very knowledgable in Hapkido. Ihave been in MA for40 years and have never trained with anyone that knew what he knows about real fighting. The beauty of Hapkido is it is like wrestling, technique will prove itself. there are so many different joint locks an manipilulations somewhere around three thousand!! I,am working on four versions of Hapkido and working on the original Combat Jujitsu and did train in Dr Dwing Ming,s chinese Chin-na. also maybe you know that this stuff is banned in UFC!! If you would like to know more info on Grm Jae i will tell you more of what we trained in and how we trained. much respect Sensei_Sifu

9. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

:vanish:

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Perhaps you can answer these then:

Stupidest statement of the last five minutes...I expect worse to follow

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  11. warrior monk1

Grand Master Jae Jeannotte

Yes of course Grm Jae received his first black Belt from his father he was stationed in Korea and Japan where he trained much like joe lewis american kick boxing karate legend. But his first well know GrandMaster in korean Hapkido Was Mike Wollmershauser. Mike trained under the creator Choi Yong-sul. Latter Grm Mike brought GRM Choi young sul to america to live. Grm Choi trained in Aikijujitsu under the samuri clan that created Daito -ryu Aikijujitsu.. when Grm Jae joined the army he was an army ranger hand to hand combat instructor . The US Military would bring Hapkido Masters in to train there military and still do. from that point on Grm Jae was know by the some of the Korean Masters and they were surprised by his knowledge of Korean Hapkido and much like the original Grappling Master Gene lebelle he was awarde RANK. Now i cannot tell you there names but i did see the Korean certificate and it is in Korean. But sir if you look up Mike Wollmershauser on Wiki you will find his info.also if you Look up Combat Hapkido John Pelligrini you will find that He also trained under Grm Mike Wollmershauser. I,am not sure why we care about who gives you rank now that we are all interested in UFC style fighting because most of those fighters are great and most do not hold any rank. Hapkido was created much different than the old styles/ Koreans, were beaten by Japan and were occupied by them. so after the Korean war the Korean,s threw out all the art and only worked on technique. Hapkido is not like Karate and kung fu where they make you do forms it is used by our military for a reason. But sir i don,t think my statement is stupid that Hapkido is banned from UFC , all you have to do is look at the rules of UFC . NO small joint manipulations , no knife hand strikes to the throat, no kicks to the head or body when there down, no breaking of the neck. no intentional breaking of arms, elbow,shoulders, knee,s ankles. and of course Hapkido teach,,s Jujitsu matt work. hope i helped you but i think some people up until now have never seen big men really use this stuff. try ordering 2003 Hapkido Championship Jin Jung Kwan DVD and you will see big men and women throw people around like rag dolls. also Some Hapkido stylist are working on full contact Hapkido!! Good luck out there because what i learned about Asians is they don,t think kick punch they think kill or maim as quickly as possible. Sifu-Sensei,

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

1) paragraphs are your friend

2) Everything else you have put is the same "straw man too deadly to spar" crap that has been discredited already; most of the prohibited techniques are recent innovations under unified rules - there were no such restrictions in the early UFC's but no one stepped up....strange

3) The rank question was asked of the man directly and he refused to answer - no we have you coming on an old thread as a sock puppet and defending his honor...please! He could have doen that himself two years ago but chose to act like an egotistical ass.

Anyone questions my rank and training I can give them the answers up front and honestly. the fcat he could not or would not speaks volumes

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Heh.
    Heh again.

14. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Hapkido is NOT banned from UFC. I'm pretty sure they would welcome any Hapkido practitioners.

FWIW - Here is an early Gracie challenge match with a master Hapkido practitioner and Rorion Gracie:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RawPYGzYOQ"]Jiu-Jitsu Vs. Hapkido - YouTube[/ame]

There did not appear to be any restrictions on the Hapkido guy of what he could or couldn't do.

15. ttrude

ttrude New Member

Boy,,, You guys just don't quit,,, I think all of you need to look in the mirror...

16. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What do you mean by the original Combat Jujitsu?

17. warrior monk1

OK Hannibal Now i see your aUFC fighter and you think that traditional Martial arts is Adalia bipunctata well you are right yes you heard right. I do not lie i tell you what i know and what i worked on with the GRm Jae.

Let me tell you my history.

At the age of 18 i won Vermont State highschool wrestling championship i was undefeated on the mat through the year with 90% of my opponents pins. I joined the VT Martial arts Academy In Rutland VT where Master Rick Marallo taught Karate,Kung fu, Aikijujitsu and UFC style grappling. we fought with 10 oz gloves full contact for the men and the Golden glove boxers for 12years.

I also at the same time trained in a kick boxing school at the Rutland Rec. for five years. I also trained at the same time to learn there kicks and how they developed there legs for speed and power. I then trained under Phillipine born Master Robert Chandler Aloa,s In Hung Gar Kung Fu and learned Chin-na or joint manipulations and jujitsu on the mat.

we also of course learned the Phillipine fighting system of Escrima or stick fighting. I worked this for 13 years. So then i realized i wanted to know more about world Martials. I have read Black belt since i was 18years old and new most MA is watered down. Thats right most teahers only teach forms, kata kick punch but never teach or don,t know real direct old style Chuan Fa or one man facing another or Mano- Mano. so I bought a library of different system,s on Dvd and books and began to study myself and train myself. But I think what your trying too say is UFC beats Then all and yes in the ring it does but why??

After training in a dozen traditional schools i learned that most schools do not want to get anyone hurt because of insurance and lawsuit,s so this is why it is watered down. In order to fight a UFC style fighter you would have to train like they. So first you need to know how to wrestle but learn to go to your back and use the Jujitsu style techniques on the mat, the you need to know Boxing skills and throw thousands of combination on the heavy bag and timing bag and you need training partners that are going to work with you and not beat the new guy up thats the hardest part because most americans and others are taught to lead with there EGO not there brain.

If you have ever read about ALi the legend or suger ray Leonard you will find that they worked boxing to a science not just a bunch of men just beating on each other until there brain can,t work any more. Oh yes i worked Brazilian style Jujitsu and they are really good because they work mostly mat on the ground techniques. But again Gene Lebelle has all this and more in his Masters Book but don,t tell anyone.

There is still much standing jujitsu that you do not see and is not being used in the ring. Now i know you UFC fighters are not taught the respect for the old Masters and i don,t care because at the age of 59 i have to work on self defense. but if you like to talk about real MA and not think about winning a fight but maybe think how you would train your little sister or brother or if you ran a school what would you teach them after you taught them kick punch??

Hapkido is one of the most deadliest fighting systems known and if your trying to put down Hapkido You haven,t seen some of the big boys that are on face book like Grm Derman Hodg,e and his son,s there body builders then you either very good or only know very little about MA. oh and by the way Grm Jae does not want to be my friend because i was taught to teach without hurting people and he was taught by the Koreans and they do snap your wrist and elbow around to make you move and don,t care if you get broken.

I just still don,t get it thought because i seen UFC fights where the champion gets kicked in the head the first thing and get nocked out!!! Why is it that your so good and are above that . i gotta go an lift some weights and read more of !0th Planet Jiu jitsu you know Mastering the Rubber Guard by Eddie Bravo . You never know when some young man will want me to train them in grappling my favorite. you sure they let you use small joint manipulations in UFC???? where the hand goes the body follow,s.

So let me know your rank and your past training then i will know more of who you and your skills and drill.s. Boxing is sweet. Sensei-Sifu

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2013
  18. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Thanks ttrude for your contribution.

Was there something you wanted to add specifically about the OT?

Can we safely assume you study Hapkido and have some connection to this? Please correct me if i'm wrong because that is how your comment will appear to most folks here.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Holy cow. Paragraphs man, paragraphs.
    That's a big old wall of text.

20. ttrude

ttrude New Member

LOL,,, I just see people questioning people so much on here,,, that maybe they should look at themselves........and yes,, I have been studying for 43 years.....