Grading

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Alex_JHH, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Alex_JHH

Alex_JHH Cardboard Tube Samurai

Just passed my first kyokushinkai grading!

:D :D :D :D

2. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy all of the challenges and successes ahead of you! :)

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Gan on mara :D

translation: go on mate :D

4. Alex_JHH

Thanks. I passed it with flying colours as well, so I'm just a bit chuffed :D

5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Yeah,

Well done, savour the moment and look forward to the next.

:)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2004
  6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Osu, congrats!

Onto the harder stuff now, your gonna love it ;)

7. rigsville

rigsville Shukokai Karate

Alex_JHH, well done!

I remember my first grading, I was very nervious and I nearly didn't attend, as Kgirl says it now starts getting harder but more fun.

Remember why your taking Karate and have fun!

My 10 year old son has started Karate as well now (Shukokai) and I can tell you it was even more nervious watching him taking his first grading that any of mine!

8. Picksey

Picksey New Member

Someone sounds pretty pleased with himself! ;) Keep up the good work!

I don't remember my first grading - probably blanked it out! And fourteen gradings and a couple of assessments later, I can tell you they don't get much easier on the old nerves, though I've learned to love the adrenaline rush!

9. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Congrats!! :)

10. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Congratulations and keep up the hard work!!

11. Alex_JHH

Hmmmm, just looked at my syllabus.
    Next kata: Sokugi taikyoku sono ichi (or something like that)
    Anyone care to give me a description? (KGirl you might know this one, being kyokushin yourself)

Alex.

12. Tommy_P

Tommy_P New Member

Teaching methods differ slightly from school to school but if memory of my kyokushin training serves me right it's pretty much Taikyoku kata except with front kicks.

Good luck

Tommy

13. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Taikyoku is our very first kata. I've trained in your org, and its very much the same as ours as far as that kata goes. What kata did you do for your grading by the way (as a basis for explanation)?

Basically, to sum up Sono Ichi, if you turn, you block Gedan Barai (lower block) and punch chudan straight after. If you move in a straight line, you punch Chudan Tsuki (middle punch). These apply for any direction you move in. So its block on the turn, punch on moving. The actual direction you go in is trickier to put in words.

I have videos... must upload them, must upload them...!

14. chylaxin

chylaxin New Member

what kyu are you now

15. Alex_JHH

I did Taikyoku sono ichi and ni for my grading. The first being with chudan punches, the second with jodan. By the look of it, the sokugi variation is a kicking kata (I think), so I guess Tommy P is right. I'm 10th kyu now chylaxin, if you were talking to me.