Grading Tips

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Aikidojomofo, May 10, 2011.

1. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

Hi there

I've got my grading coming up on 22nd May. My training has been going well and I feel fairly confident about the grading itself. (Famous last words)

Regardless, I thought this would be a good opportunity for a thread to get imput from you more experienced folks who have done it all many times before. Impart some wisdom on this lowly Kyu grade

What tips and tricks do you have for gradings?

Any great grading stories you want to share or any nightmares you experienced?

2. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

The only trick as you put it is to practice, practice, practice the requirements for your grading. I know by looking at your link that you are taught at a good dojo. There is no magic in Aikido techniques, is all about the continuation of practice on a regular basis, with a steady growth in you technical ability. Although I practice a different style I am sure that all of us who sit on grading panel look for the same principles, posture, correct distance, balance breaking, basically nice tidy Aikido too the level being examined.
    The pressure of grading or demonstration can make students speed up and rush techniques. If your dojo allows practice under pressure by demonstrating the requirements for the syllabus in front of the class. I would also like to point out that unless you are rock solid do not grade, as nerves kick in and the mind can go blank.
    I am sure that many other on Map will give you sound advise as well. Above all else enjoy the challenge of the grading, remember if you don't achieve the next level you can still practice Aikido, it not like failing a driving test. Best of luck.

3. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

^

What Shaun said..

I would add that unless your instructor wasn't already sure about your abilities, he wouldn't have nominated you to test. All you have to do is rise to the occasion and demonstrate what's asked of you to the best of your ability.

Remember that no one actually fails, if you're unsuccessful, you test again, it's as simple as that. Bearing in mind of course that rank testing is just a very small part of a lifetimes worth of study.

Everyone makes mistakes, in a test environment, if you realise you've made or making a mistake, if it's safe (for uke) to continue, do so. Don't stop half way in a technique (unless it's unsafe).

If you're asked for a particular technique or application and you end up doing something else, don't stop or waste that opportunity, keep going, then once you've finished, do what's asked of you.

Demonstrate that you're concious not only of your uke, but of your surroundings. if you're testing as a group, look at the space in which you intend to put uke as part of your technique. There's nothing worse IMHO, than having uke(s) landing in the same space on the mat, thus risking injury. If you *think* someone else is about to land in the space you were going to use for your uke, pull out of the technique if at all possible and assist uke in not falling into someone else. This might sound like something everyone would automatically do but, once you focus on the testing, often a tunnel vision effect can take place.

YOU control the pace. As uke makes their attack, absorb and blend with it (to the best of your ability) then perform the technique at your pace. Better to do 5 good quality technically correct applications than 20 rushed. If you're asked to lift the pace so be it but personally, I'd rather see quality over quantity.

Testing is a meeting of the minds. Your uke(s) aren't there to fool you or make the test overtly difficult, they are there to allow you to demonstrate your abilities.

If as part of the testing requirements, you are to act as uke for one of the other candidates, make sure you give 100% as uke. Don't fall into a lull after your examination, remain switched on, in doing so you're demonstrating a commitment to others.

Good luck !

Dave

4. Dave Humm

Sorry missed this..

Just before my ikkyu grading I was warming up/training with another candidate. He grabbed a jo and we did a lot of jo-tori/jo-waza unfortunately for me, right on my last technique, my uke unexpectedly gripped the jo as I was drawing it back to me, then he let go and, the jo (end) smacked me right on the forehead !!

Next thing I remember is said uke looking down on me asking if I was all right, I sat up thinking.. a moment ago I was standing up and he was on the mat... So I sat off mat for a few minutes, felt ok and later did my grading.

On my nidan exam, one of my uke tripped on his hakama and fell toward me almost head-butting me in the groin. LOL

5. Sore Knees

Sore Knees Valued Member

In the grand scheme of things I'm not exactly the oracle on the subject but I would say relax, smile and enjoy it. you're there by choice and are no doubt paying for it. enjoy the experience. I see people all the time looking so very afraid or super serious. of course you want to pass and you'll have worked hard beforehand, so nerves are natural responses to this but try and relax. Dave's advice about not rushing is very good too. rushing through makes your technique look sloppy. also if you do the wrong technique and realise half way through, finish it properly, then you can do the right one afterwards. the grading officers will have seen it all before. also agree with dave on being a uke. just because your test is over doesn't mean you can switch off. that would be disrespectful to your partner.

good luck, sure you'll be fine.

6. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

I'm not an Aikido practitioner but I've sat in on a number of gradings over the past 2 years for various striking styles and from my perspective id offer this don't be in a rush to keep up with the others around you, its your grading take your time. Id rather see a student who is told to hurry up because the technique is slow and clean than someone asked to re demonstrate something because they rushed it.

If anything is asked for you please just have a go at trying to answer than just give "I don't know sir" hope that helps and good luck.

7. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Enjoy your test. I had my sensei tell me once " this is a kyu test, don't think it's somthing we havnt seen before, don't think it's on the level of a black belt test. Don't try to make it into more than it is...

...Now, since shihan is here conducting the tests, try your best not to embarrass the dojo."

As far as experiences go, I have seen two candidates fail their exams. One was ikkyu exam, and a couple years later a shodan failed. I was fairly new to aikido at the time so I never understood or bothered to ask why.

The brown belt did not return to aikido. The black belt tested and passed a few months later.

As for my own tests, the sempais always saw fit to take the candidates out drinking the night before. Sensei generally frowned on this, but such was the tradition. This way, after about three or four hours of sleep and breakfast, and four or six hours of seminar leading into testing, one was good and ready to test.

And usually by then, 75% of the hangover was gone.

8. Dave Humm

What's the context of your statement because, as it stands it doesn't make any sense at all.

Did you know you were going to test ?

Did you know which kyu grade you were testing for ? If so, why was there a need to tell you not to think of it as a dan grade test ?

Why would your teacher feel the need to tell you not to make it more than it was ?

9. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Dave, for what it is worth, Izu used to be a bit more open about discussing things with some people. Who knows now but it was known, I believe, at some point...lol... that Izu had trained many years as a kyu grade. Sort of like a fellow that didn't care about rank but still trained.

Now there is nothing wrong with that given people don't all take a fast track to black belt. People have lives and other things to do as we all know.

It is just that Izu may have had been around a while between testings. People tend to become perfectionists, maybe too hard on themselves.

Of course I could just be getting senile and not remembering things right. :bang:

10. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

@Dave
    yes, I knew I was testing, yes I knew what kyu I was testing. Sensei was basically saying don't sweat the small stuff, don't think you'll make martial arts history by wowing the shihan.

11. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I guess I am getting senile.

12. Dave Humm

How so ?

13. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Young man (since I'm becoming senile I'm allowed to call anyone young man now),

In most cases, an instructor will not allow a student to test unless they already believe that student will pass the test. Tests are usually not tests at all but a demonstration of what you already should know... coming to class every time and training hard is the real test.

With that said, tests do have some significant differences compared to regular training from what I've experienced. Beyond knowing your material, three areas to watch out for, IMHO:

1) Attitude - be respectful and show a strong fighting spirit. I remember years back one person that tested for blackbelt but was on a sort of fast track, when he was sparring, Hiagonna Sensei told him something, the student looked up and gave Hiagonna Sensei a very disrespectful stare... he did not pass the test. When I tested for black belt in karate, Hiagonna Sensei had us doing push ups very quickly and never stopped counting... I thought we all failed because none of us could keep up with his count and do all the ones he asked for... but we tried until we dropped. But we did end up passing.

2) Awareness - pay attention to what is around you. With low blood sugar, dehydration, fatigue... adrenaline... it is common for people to seem a bit distracted and get tunnel vision. If the instructor asked you to do the same technique over and over again, it might mean that you are actually doing the wrong technique and he/she is just giving you a chance to figure that out. If you get confused, I believe it is acceptable to have the instructor repeat what they are asking you to do. Take these opportunities to re-establish your baseline.

3) Conditioning - Be in shape. Be ready to take ukemi all day BEFORE you are asked to test. Best to pace yourself too as much as you can.

14. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I don't remember :eek:

15. Dave Humm

Me neither !

16. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

I am confused again, solid foundations and preparation are the key to grading. I take the view that every grading is important as it is the ladder to the yudansha ranks, with required technical advancement at each level.

I myself when taking shodan did not prepare that well, had a drink the night before, I also thought I was better than I really was, young cocky big ego. From the point of view of my personal development this was the best thing that happened to me as I became focused with my practice. I had to get off my backside and travel to get good instruction.
    Today Aikido is more widely spread with most towns having clubs, there are many more senior grades around today to chose from. Today students also have DVD and youtube as a tool to help with their advancement.

17. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

Thanks for all the replies so far. Really appreciate it!

18. Sore Knees

Sore Knees Valued Member

that's a terrible thing to say to someone before a grading.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  19. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Really? I thought it was pretty funny at the time. Sensei is one of those who you can never tell if they are joking or serious. You had to guess, and hopefully you were right. Just one more way to keep you on your toes.

Going past tiny closed minds, and given the context of what was said, he is saying basically, don't worry about your test, it's not such a big deal this kyu exam, you'll do fine... Oh and by the way, the shihan will be grading, so no added extra pressure or anything, we just want you and our dojo to be better than all the others...no pressure.

20. Sore Knees

Sore Knees Valued Member

So I have a tiny mind? Personally, at face value, I don't think that comment is productive when you're a very junior grade. Obviously I wasn't there so can't tell if it was said with a wry smirk, thereby indicating it was in jest.

You really are quite a patronising person.