Grades in Aikido

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by AikiBudo, Nov 12, 2005.

1. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

So where did this sudden epidemic of fake shihan come from? Is it a western phonominom or did it start a little closer to home in Japan?

As I said before I respect those who train with me purely because without them I cannot train.

2. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Not so much of an epidemic but a growing trend within our small community (in the UK) where *some* of those at the head of their own organisations (independent of style respective hombu ironically) who hold high grades and titles which have been self awarded or obtained from sources which have little to do with aikido as a system, let alone actually have the providence to issue such grades or titles.

[edit] Yep I think it is a western thing, search google for "soke 10th dan" and it becomes quite clear although thankfully; most of that crap is still in the US but, there are already people in aikido here in the UK following the trend.

I'm pretty sure there are people in Japan who are behaving in exactly the same way; just because we study a Japanese art doesn't mean that every Japanese individual who puts on a dogi is right in what they do.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  3. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

I understand totally what you're saying and you are indeed correct, everyone deserves to be TREATED with respect, that doesn't mean you actually have to respect the person.

As for "proving"... If you claim you are a 6th dan then when you step on the mat I expect to see 6th dan quality at work, if you are clearly not a 6th dan, don't expect me to respect you accordingly. I do not automatically respect rank, I afford people respect, that has to be earned.

Treating people respectfully and having respect for someone are quite different.

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

In my expereience the same problem exists in all styles of martial arts everywhere and not just in the west.

Apparently Koretoshi Maruyama will promote teachers two grades should they decide to follow his teachings and represent his organisation. I'd personaly be more bothered by teachers like this ho can cover their tracks with some legitimate claims. But then again I don't follow Koretoshi Maruyama. So it's not a huge problem for me.