Gracie family hate?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Hapuka, May 13, 2015.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Hi guys, since I'm new to BJJ chances are that I will be asking allot of questions about it here on the forums (I hope nobody minds). So I was cruising around youtube watching videos on BJJ (Ufc, K1 etc.) I found down in the comments section (yes, i know youtube comments are poison) of fights that involved those of the Gracie family that allot of people were giving them flak saying that they are cheaters, scam artists and all round poor sportsmen. I don't know anything about BJJ politics. But didn't the Gracie family create BJJ in the first place? :confused:

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Some of them are poorer examples, others are the best. It's a mixed bag. Pick a Gracie you like and start quoting him/her! :)

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

There are a lot of Gracies out there and they're a really easy target for criticism.

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Pffft. I don't know about exact history, but I do know that if you make it big enough, there are always going to be people who jealously try to tear you down.

Pretty much any MAist who gets to a certain level is going to have his/her detractors. Actually, pretty much ANYONE in ANY chosen field is going to have their detractors.

The Gracie's developed an art that has had and incredible revolutionary effect on MA's.

Worry about the quality of your school and if you enjoy it. Stay away from the politics. Let the quality of the art speak for itself and don't worry about the rest.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  6. Pretty In Pink

I've never heard anybody say anything bad about Dan Inosanto ;p

7. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

They are a huge family and within that family they have a range of personalities. Some of the things people accuse the Gracies of such as demanding loyalty and machismo tend to be Brazilian traits rather than traits specific to the Gracies. At least they are traits among Brazliain BJJ coaches I've noticed (generalising a bit but by and large my experience).

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  8. Hannibal

Outside of the JKD community that is.....

9. Pretty In Pink

Yeah, well, nothing that can be done about that :/

10. Hannibal

You can smack a few in the chops....

11. aaradia

Ah, but the implication here is that inside the JKD community there is? I rest my case.

12. Pretty In Pink

Well that I think is a seperate issue and tbh, as much as someone can be universally accepted, Guru Inosanto is as close as they come.

13. aaradia

No, it isn't a separate issue. It is exactly the point I was making. I didn't specify where the criticism comes from. Often it is people trying to make a name for themselves by such criticisms. Jealous they aren't as big within or outside an organization.

Even someone as highly regarded as Inosanto has his detractors. ANYONE who makes a big enough name will. Whether from within our without, it happens.

And that is why I suggested to OP to focus on his school and style and if s/he finds value and enjoyment in the training and ignore the rest.

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I don't think it's the Gracie's themselves as much as it is fanboys leeching off their fame to prove some kind of "toughness by association."

Like any group, there's some good, some bad. But Gracie Barra in particular has been the source of the most obnoxious dicks I've enountered in BJJ.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The Gracie's are generally fairly good looking, fit, good at fighting, confident and outgoing.
    What's to like about them!?!?!
    I hate them just on principal.*

*I don't.

16. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I have found that too, but I also met some incredibly nice people from Gracie Barra. Very much a mixed bag.

17. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

If you have 15 minutes or so, here are some tales from Roy Harris. He was one of the first non-Brazilian black belts in BJJ and trained with the Gracies when they first came over to the US. Obviously this is just his side of the story, but as others have pointed out, some of the things he says seem to tally with other stories people have told about the Gracies.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f12/my-journey-through-bjj-roy-harris-344665/

Overall I personally think the Gracie family have made a huge and positive contribution to the martial arts world.

18. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

There will always be negatives when you get to a certain amount of notoriety. Also when you have such a large amount of family, not all are going to be nice and philosphical.

Also got to remember, Brazilians are stereotypically a fiery culture. I regret not accepting an invite to train at the Gracie Academy in RdJ when I had friends living pretty much next to it.

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Half those stories are Roy being in the wrong, the rest is standard Gracie academy shinanagains.

20. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

:)
    Indeed barra are massive so they'll have a wider variety of folk.