Gracie Barra Nottingham

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by rob0107, Apr 16, 2013.

1. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Been doing a self-defence orientated jujutsu now for a year, but due to my current workload I can only go once a week. I've found a few Judo schools and a few BJJ schools locally whose timetable is a bit more flexible and fits around my uni work a bit better, which will allow me to go to my normal class once a week and supplement it with either Judo or BJJ once a week too. Have tried a couple of sessions at a local Judo school which I enjoyed, and am now looking at the BJJ schools to see what they're like. This one in particular has caught my eye.

http://www.graciebarranottingham.com/

Does anyone know much about the school? Or is there anyone on here that actually goes here? I'm going to a free lesson next week to try it out and see what I think, but any information from people who know a bit more about BJJ schools will be very much appreciated :)

2. mattt

mattt Valued Member

My only question when you visit the school is 'how many classes does Vitor teach?'

If the answer is most/all then this is a no brainer, he is world class. If it is less, then you will have to think a bit more about it.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Pretty sure I've competed against a couple of their guys. Wouldn't say no

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I've trained there a handful of times including with Victor once. I also know a guy who trains there pretty regularly.

They seem like a good bunch of people and obviously know their stuff. Well worthwhile I reckon :)

Mitch

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What's this? Mr Mitch? Rolling on the ground with the lower classes? With HIS reputation?

6. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member

And classes don't get much lower than me :)

I train regularly up the road at Sutton in Ashfield and train in Nottingham as often as I can.

It's a great club with a really good atmosphere. Friendly and supportive are 2 words that spring to mind.

To answer Mattt's question Victor teaches the vast majority of classes, he still competes regularly so he is sometimes off around the world (he's just got back from Abu Dhabi where he won Silver in the World Professional Jiu-Jitsu Cup), when Victor is away classes are taught by Gareth, who is a Black Belt and a very good instructor in his own right.

If you want anymore info feel free to ask.

Rob.

PS That's a damn fine looking website :)

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Never trained there, but its obvious the instructors are world class.

Dont forget these guys too - http://www.alliancebjjnottingham.co.uk/

Try both and see which vibe / timetable fits you the most.

8. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

I actually do jujutsu in one of the back rooms to the alliance BJJ guys and our sensei spars occasionally with them. Lee seems like a really nice guy too and they seem to know their stuff. I think the Gracie Barra club's timetable will be the best for me as they've got a bigger choice of days I could train, whereas the Alliance club only has a beginners class once a week which could be a bit problematic with my uni commitments.

Does anyone know how much the classes would be if you only train once a week? Sadly can't afford to fork out much more than an extra £20 a month on top of what I'm currently paying (One of the pros to doing Judo as it's only £3 a lesson)

9. Dead_pool

Barra are normally keen on contracts, which pays for the large timetables, and multiple blackbelt teachers.

Definitely check out the alliance classes, if you find your first choice is not possible.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  10. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member

Lol, no contracts at Gracie Barra Nottingham so no worries there :)

11. Dead_pool

Cheers for the update! FWIW theres nothing wrong with contracts, as long as there done properly.

12. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Ah cool, do you pay per session then? If so that'd be perfect, depending on the price of course...

13. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

The estima brothers are world class, I couldn't say how often you'll actully be training with them but id imagine there gym is very good, my instructor is good friends with them and regularly goes to train with them (I think there's actully a chance we'll be affiliated under GB with them soon). Iv been to a seminar with Victor before really nice guy, even rolled with a lowley white belt like me :p.

14. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Had my trial session yesterday. Really enjoyed it, good atmosphere and friendly, just sadly a bit too expensive for me personally. Based on my experience I'd definitely recommend people try it out and see what they think.

Going to try out the Alliance BJJ next if I get a chance, see if I can fit their beginners sessions around my other commitments. Roughly how long would you have to go to the beginners class before you can join in the other sessions? Or would it be different for each club?

15. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Depends on your ability and the school and how much you train.

Of course, you might enjoy the beginners class and not want to get out of there. Probably best to not move on until you can:

Hip Escape from Mount and Side Control into Guard.
    Pass guard 2 ways
    Pin and prevent hip escapes from mount and Side control
    Do one sweep from Half guard bottom

(All against full resistance on a person at least your own weight, ideally heavier)

16. BaldNinja

BaldNinja New Member

I've been doing small circle jiujitsu for a while now and it's only one lesson a week which is starting to get annoying as I want to develop my skills learn more become better but can not do this with once a week training on a friday night ..

Went to try BJJ at GB, awesome, but expensive especially with also traveling down to the centre.

I'm based around north nottingham and would like to do more JJ or go into BJJ but it's a cost thing with also doing Kickboxing.

anyone know of any others around north nottingham or not to far to travel to?

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Doesn't Vanessa English train there?

18. Dead_pool

Usually if you payg its expensive but the monthly rate is much much cheaper per hour.

Edit there are a few other places nearby.

But Nottingham is victor estimas home club, so your paying for literally world class tuition.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  19. BaldNinja

BaldNinja New Member

Yeah, who knows may go there sometime and commit to it but at the moment thats difficult ..

Just seeing if there is any other jiujitsu places around to try that havent been mentioned.

20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Small circle jj and bjj are two totally different arts. I just can't tell if you know or not. Good luck with your search! :)