got mail frm myself?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by TkdWarrior, Nov 16, 2004.

1. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

I just got mail frm myself ??...
    hey it's using my own email addresss n sending me email
    Sub: Spamed?

I found your site listed in spammer list, is it true?

wat the heck is that?
    damn...I never wrote that message...
    I don't give out this mail ID, it's no where written on my sites...
    I hate solving puzzles..
    -TkdWarrior-

2. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

A lot of spammers gather email addresses from emails they get from other people, then sell the email addresses to advertisers. Have you ever gotten an email from a friend that had twenty or more email addresses on the 'to' line?? If so, then everyone that received the email also got a copy of your email address. This is why it is best, whenever you send an email to more than one person to either use an anonymous remailer, OR use the 'bcc' line, instead of the 'to' line to list the email addresses.

3. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I have had that as well, its spam and possibly a viral spoofer, give a random address fromm listing on the infected computer as its sender.

4. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

my email address is not listed on Net... even if you try to do "betterwhois" on my site's domain name, you'll get my Home Address. but not my email ID :D

Its sort of spyware I guess
    -TkdWarrior-

5. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

The badgers will find some way to get it :mad:

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Mushroom Mushroom SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!!!

Sorry - couldn't resist :Angel:

Ahem...

It may be worth doing a full virus & spyware scan - just in case!

7. Wali

Wali Valued Member

TKDWarrior,

This sounds like a worm virus. The chances are that the virus is in a machine from someone who has you in their address book, as oppossed to being on your machine, although you may have the virus also, if you opened any attachments of the mail you "sent yourself!"

Check with whoever you are aware of that has your email address saved in their address book.

Regards,
    Wali