Google being "good" ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Razgriz, May 8, 2013.

1. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22395494

Google has changed its reference of Palestine from Palestinian territories to Palestine.
    I have always been sceptical of google and try and use other search engines, not because I think my one usage makes any difference, im just not keen on HUGE companies owning a complete market.

Raz

2. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Good in what sense? As a search engine? Sure. But how does their stance on Palestine influence other aspects of Google being "good"?

3. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

.. google is a company, not just a website. A pretty big company, at that.

4. CrowZer0

Well thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't aware.

:rolleyes:

5. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

No problem! :)

6. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Well, I love their search engine. And I love their maps program. And I love their phone operating system. They make good products and they haven't given me reason to dislike them yet.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

They owe a couple of million in tax to Britain.

8. CrowZer0

I don't believe that's accurate, I think you're referring to corporation tax and how little they pay in regards to how much profit they make. But it isn't illegal and they don't owe it.

Some MP's made comments about how "immoral" it is with how little they pay. But they aren't breaking any laws.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22244253

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

This is how the conversation probably went

Googler "We get a lot of emails asking for us to change the tagline from 'Palestinian Territories' to 'Palestine'. Should we do it?

Google Manager "Sure, why not"

I doubt it's meant to be a big political gesture.

10. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Maybe Google is hoping to offset the karmic debt they owe from that time they turned over Chinese journalists to the Chinese government using their email services "anonymously" to test water purity samples, who then disappeared in Chinese prisons indefinitely. Or that time they made a far more aggressively filtered version of their search engine for the Chinese government to help them suppress their citizens' access to accurate information.

"Google: they don't make political gestures."