Good xkan knife videos

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Please reality, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Looking for good Xkan knife videos

I was trying to comment on Xkan unarmed knife defense techniques in another thread but couldn't find a good example of the kata online. Anyone got a link to a good vid? I know the old Quest videos had a demonstration of some of the kata but alas they don't appear to be online anymore.

Most of what you see out there in the public domain is the usual arm stuck out and posture compromised, compliant uke stuff.:rolleyes: Please don't link crap like this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuj6RWriZaU"]Ninja Self Defense: Everyday Concepts Part 2, Gun & Knife Attack, Ninjutsu, Bujinkan - YouTube[/ame]

Laughing about shooting the guy? Oh boy.

Oh, and no nonsense from guys with pirate beards.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SR3aH5xB5Q"]Ninjutsu: Reality Based Knife Defense - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

*reads thread title*

Awesome this is what we have been waiting for all these years!

*watches video*

Goddamit PR, that was a bait and switch!! Next time just do a "Rick Roll" because at least then I won't get my blood pressure up watching crap!!!!

3. Please reality

Well, if you had read the OP first before clicking...:hat:

Actually, you're right, I should've wrote Looking for in the Title. Maybe I can change it. I wanted to add something useful to the other knife thread but without a good visual, it is hard for some to take seriously.

There are some very good skill sets that can be found in these arts regarding knife defense, but not many good examples of it being done on video. As they were based on avoiding many kinds of weapons, the basic evasive movement and approach is the same as the other unarmed stuff as well as weapons techniques. You don't have to mix one way of dealing with punching, another with throws, yet another for weapons, and a different one for ground fighting.

For things like blade reorientation, there are some important ideals which I haven't always seen covered elsewhere(except for that Systema moving the blade with your hand stuff-wouldn't want to eat in the restaurant where they teach that).

ps-problem fixed

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  4. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Do you remember which quest vid(s)?

5. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

I agree. But at least we weren't goatse'd
    :D

6. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

The last bit. Why would you say that? Aside from the technique, which if you like it or not. That is up for debate. You do not.
    But why would you have to make the Taliban comment? Why co relate him to the Taliban, even with a funny reference. I'd mod that but I'm sure it would be considered biased. It's not needed.

7. Please reality

Gyokko Ryu and Koto for starters if I recall correctly. I know one old US Taikai during which Hatsumi Sensei went into some detail on the "Korai" technique but hard to find anything even passable online these days. Wouldn't want people to think that all ninjers were middle-aged chubby arm hangers who LARP around in black pjs.:rolleyes:

8. Please reality

You're right, my bad. Just finished watching a pretty serious documentary(Restrepo) and the color and type of beard really reminded me of that.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

watching crap videos is actually useful--don't do that!

10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

<sorry off topic>

i have that in my queue. is restrepo good? would you recommend?

11. Fudo-shin

Fudo-shin Valued Member

I dont know if alot of the kata deal specifically with tanto that much but rather shoto. Obviously shoto or any other form of mutodori waza would be pretty applicable.

12. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

Thank you. I don't debate anyones technique anymore. So I won't get into that part of it, however I can assure you however Ali Karim Sensei, who I've met a number of times is about as peaceful a person as you can get. Very nice man. But I appreciate that.

13. gapjumper

So he has a legit teacher?

My mistake I thought he was a Ron Duncan guy. My bad :)

It does get confusing!

14. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

He is a Ronald Duncan guy.

15. gapjumper

Hmm

So he is misleading people, but is nice?

16. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

There's a video of a Bujinkan guy defending against a knife as part of his shodan test, it's fairly easy to find on youtube but because of it's suckiness I won't post it here. However, it's got one good thing going for it - most of the time, the knife-wielder isn't leading with his weapon hand when attacking.

17. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

I'll buy you a camera so you can post your own video. That way we won't have to suffer through all the 'bad examples'.

18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Two pages in and nobody found a good example? You have to wonder :p

19. gapjumper

Unless some people don't feel the need to prove themselves via the media of video...

What a strange concept eh! :eek: :)

20. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I've not seen a good example of a good knife defense in MMA either :fight1: