good kick or bad screw :p

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by JTiedes, Apr 7, 2005.

1. JTiedes

JTiedes Wielder of the Wiffle.

so i recently purchased an everlast 80 pound bag. i set it up out side underneath our deck by putting an eye bolt into the support beam.
    today i was working kicks, i go for a spinning back kick hit the bag way harder than normal, and BAM the bolt gets ripped out of the beam and the bag goes flying,
    i only wish i could have gotten it on camera.

my solution was to get a bolt 4 inches longer and go to another beam :p

2. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Sounds like a good kick!

Have you tried the same kick on the bag in its new location?

3. JTiedes

yea, it stayed in :p. i think it was just a prefect combination of the bags position, the fact that screw had been used with my 40 pund bag for a year, and an unusually well timed/powered kick. then again it might just be the new bolt
    either way it was ffreaking sweet

4. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

good kick!

i once broke the chain links of a heavy bag (80-110 lbs) with a lead punch. the links broke and the bag came crashing down. it was caught on camera from a bad angle for a documenatry that was never finished.

5. JTiedes

nice!
    yea i cut the chains to make it fit for the new bolt :p

6. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Err, I dont know what slang tersmn are in use where you are JTiedes but where I come from the implications of the title of this thread....

Well anyway, thanks for a really good laugh :D

7. JTiedes

lol yea :p it was kinda intentional
    i was feeling fiesty when i wrote it : :yeleyes:

8. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Yeah at first I thoguht thsi was an "adult" thread...

But,

eventually your new bolt will wear out too. Teh metal just eats away at the wood as the weight of the bag stresses it.

At harware stores you can find a device that is made for mounting ceiling fans (which can also generate a fair amount of stress on supports). This device goes above your ceiling, and fits between the beams. it looks like this

<[---]>

that is, a central bar with vertical plates on each end, and the plates have spikes on the outside. THe central bar will typically be threaded, so that as you turn it, it gets longer or shorter. So, you cut a hole in your ceiling big enough to fit the device up between the beams. Then set it down so taht the bar is pushing the plates and spikes into teh beams on both sides. Then, crank the threaded bar, expanidng the plates, until the spikes are firmly set into the beams. now, you ahve a cross-bar that is firmly set. Loop a chain over this bar and own through the hole in the ceiling. Thsi will last much langer than a bolt in the wood.

This might have been difficult to follow, just go to the hardware store, one that sells ceiling fans, and ask the clerk for a brace.

9. JTiedes

oooh, that sounds nice