Good cheap gi???

Discussion in 'Judo' started by u6s68, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

2. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

If your in the states warrior one out of Seattle has a couple of good cheap ones. I'm using a bjj/judo double weave hybrid of theirs in blue now runs 50 to 60 I think. They also have a student line that is fairly robust. Definitely buy a size over and wash once though.

3. smokey04b

smokey04b New Member

Sorry if I'm digging up a dead thread but having just gone through this dilemma myself, I might have some insight.

Don't fall into the "it's more expensive so it must be better" trap. While there are some cheap gis on the market to steer clear of, you don't need the $250-$350 IJF approved Mizuno.

Fuji seems to be the base model in the States. A lot of newcomers at my school wear those (don't know if they're available in Europe). They didn't fit me correctly though - according to their size chart the kimono could've fit a guy 50 lbs heavier, it just swallowed me. I think the next step up (and what I went with) is the J350 base student model from Adidas. Excellent gi and a more slender Euro fit than Fuji. The white runs around $50-$60 and the blue around $80-$90. In Europe, Fighting Films makes a good entry level gi - I almost bought one of those. You can find good deals on eBay too. Got both of mine (new) there and found my blue one for about a $30 discount. BTW - my school doesn't care if new people choose white or blue - you can even wear a JJ gi to practice as long as it doesn't have the huge logo patches on the lapels.

In fact, I even got a little "atta boy" from one of the instructors the first time I wore my blue one to class. I'd waited a few months until I was sure Judo was something I was really into. Coming from Kendo where the worst you can expect is a blown Achilles tendon and being in my mid-40s, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to take the punishment even though I'm a military officer and in decent shape.
    He walked up, "Gotcha a blue gi, eh?"
    "Yes sensei" (big grin).
    "You interested in competition at your age?"
    "I'm game."
    "Excellent."