Golden Eagle Kenpo Karate?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Kenpo_Dave, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Kenpo_Dave

Kenpo_Dave Valued Member

I apologise Clyde. As I said, I dont know if the rumours are true or not, so I wont dwell on them. My issue is not with Mr. Tatum, but with this guy in Ireland. What is my issue? Frauds. Plain and simple. I detest them, and I feel that there are too many false claims being made in Kenpo today. Please understand that I absolutely do not consider Mr. Tatum a fraud. Sorry again if I offended you.

Regards,

Dave.

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I'm going off topic for a moment. There has been at least one reference in this thread pertaining to EGO. Now a friend of mine and I had a discussion not too long ago, and I pretty much agree with what he had to say. Basically, in martial arts we train to remove ego, to be humble and not let our emotions get the best of us.

However, many of who people consider some of the toughest and greatest martial artists and fighters had HUGE EGOS at points in their lives. So why are we teaching to not have an ego and to be humble if having a big ego worked for the greatest?

Well, those that had big egos could back it up with ability, they could walk the talk... put up and not shut up, etc. etc.

Just some food for thought.

Now back on topic about Golden Eagle Kenpo Karate. I looked at the video demos. I liked what I saw as a demo. I cannot make any judgements beyond that because it was a demo and not a teaching course. I believe that if I saw a video of how the techniques are taught and then how they are applied full speed, well then I could better tell if the material was really good or just sort of alright.

To give an example of something I do like, anyone ever work with Master John Tsai? Well I haven't, however he had some How to Protect Yourself videos that show cased on an info commercial with none other than martial artist Danny Bonaduce from the Partridge Family. This was maybe ten years ago he ran these commercial/shows. I like how he broke down the techniques (simple techniques) and then applied them full speed. Simple but I could see how he knew his stuff, at least how he teached his stuff. I like this format of video much better for evaluating someone in addition to seeing them in action and in demos.

3. bill007

bill007 New Member

Rebel you start an interesting one here, I think the EGO thing happen at one time to all martial artist in the quest for excellence, if this is the case how could you pull it back, give your impression or experience...

Mine was after the blue belt in Shaolin Kempo and it disapear instantly when I switched to MSDC, this is when I realized in fact that i have a lot to learn from everybody.

Bill

4. Clyde

Clyde New Member

If you didn't dwell on the issues, you certainly wouldn't have brought them up. Freudian slip perhaps?

I agree with you on George, and I love how he talks about all the time he spent at Larry's house, hours and hours a day training.. I was there many weekends for hours, playing the dummy for others when I didn't have a lesson, and videotaping for future reference, and oddly, I never saw him there. And from what I remember, Larry never mentioned him to me, and if he did, he didn't make it sound like someone I should remember. I'm sure he was there, but I can honestly say, I don't know when. And for him to look at Larry as an equal, it's just a disgrace. Hell, I don't even claim that after all these years.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde