[Goju-Ryu] some interesting seisan stuff

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Fish Of Doom, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

so this popped up in my youtube feed:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fukUT7JdMyU"]Seisan Kata Analysis Int'l Skype Workshop - YouTube[/ame]

always liked sensei taira's branch of goju, and having seen this i now respect his lineage even more. IMO paul enfield has the truth of krotty.

for reference, the kata he analyzes, as done by sensei taira himself:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4LwV7FKs4U"]Goju Ryu Kata Seisan Taira Sensei - YouTube[/ame]

obviously we don't see the whole thing in the promo video, but i feel it meshes quite well with how i feel karate should be approached, about which i've ranted plenty in the past here, and i think it may lead so some interesting discussion.

2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

That bunkai was just beautiful!

3. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Nice! Always good to see some applications of traditional stuff!
    I can even see some parallels with WC in there. I can pretty clearly see versions of gan sao, gan da, tan da, biu sao, tan gerk, bong gerk, as well as some others and more subtle adaptations and body mechanics from the jong form and chum kiu. The kicking transition from one knee to the other is exactly one of the drills I learned from my sifu. Pretty cool!

4. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Sensei Enfield's Skype workshops really are second to none, and although Seisan kata is currently above my pay grade, his last Seiyunchin kata workshop was a true eye opener, and I'd recommend anybody that has the spare coin, takes the time to view his material.

Travess

5. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

It sometimes surprises me how much goju can look like SCMA... although I guess it shouldn't. Very nice stuff.