Going for my first job interview on Friday

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by #1 Stutta, Aug 17, 2004.

1. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

Hey, I just got called to go to an interview for my very first job. It's for either a kitchen guy or a waiter at a very nice restaurant. Do any of you have any advice on what I should do, wear, or how I should act when I'm there? This is my first one, and I'm kind of nervous.

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Just be yourself! :)

... and keep your shirt on ;)

Good Luck!

3. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

If it is for waiter at a nice restaurant make sure you dress very nicely. I don't know if you need a suit but make sure you have a clean pressed shirt and a tie wouldn't hurt because you'll probably be required to wear one as a waiter anyway.

Most importantly, make sure you smell good. But don't drench yourself in cologne. Very fine restaurants don't want their waiters to be noticed for either very bad or very good smells. The food should be the only thing that has it's smell noticed.

And like Kickchick said, just be yourself - you'll do fine.:)

4. Vanir

Vanir lost my sidhe

The Hospitality industry is very "here and now." Be where you are and go the extra step to get along well. They like smart and efficient work. You should know what you're doing at every step so don't be afraid to ask questions, also try to take in as much as possible of your own accord. They really like initiative. If you're washing dishes, act like a manager washing dishes.
    Look after the business and it will look after you. Hospitality hinges upon it. Have a good sense of humour and be openly widen your horizons at every opportunity.
    They'll love you.

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Oh and remember the service business credo "The Customer is always right!" :cool: Yeah I know it stinks!

Having worked at severl fine restaurants when I was your age... I found that smiling when I felt like strangling the customer helped me !
    As a waiter be prepared for being blamed for "everything" even if its the chef's fault!

Oh and kitchen help.... looonnnggg hours!!

6. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Well, my advice coming from someone who has managed, waited, cooked, and bartended in the food industry is when you go into your interview dress nicely.

It doesn't matter what job you are interviewing for. You don't have to go business dress, but business casual....khaki's, polo or button up shirt. Nice belt and nice shoes.

You're not running for president, so just be relaxed and answer what questions they have.

7. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

BE ON TIME!!!!!!!!!!

#1 problem with employees is attendance (either late or no-show). MAKE SURE you get to the interview early, so you aren't late. Look around and relax.

8. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Oh yeah, how the hell could I forget that. I'm still working on that....being on time is important...take it from me, a guy that's never on time.

9. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

Can never dress too nice for an interview (well, I guess that's not always true, but in this case, I think it applies ;)) Think of it this way, will they remember the guy/girl who dressed in every day clothes, or the guy/girl who dressed nicely. You'll stand out more in their mind.

10. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

1) Be well groomed and clean.

2) Be confident. Always answer a question firmly, even if you have no clue what the hell you're talking about.

3) Don't be shy.

4) Get there a bit early. ;)

PL

11. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

BTW ... just curious.

Did you put your martial arts exp. down on the application?

12. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

Thanks for the advice everybody. I just found out I'm interviewing to be a dishwasher. Yay! :rolleyes: Anyways, I'll be wearing my suit, but it's right after football practice, so I have to get ready pretty quick.

No, KC, I didn't put my MA experience on the application. There wasn't really a question that called for it. Should I have put it on there?

13. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

I'd say YES to each of these, but with a special condition on #2. Be confident, but if you are asked a question you don't know the answer to, don't try to BS your way through it.....they'll spot that right away. Whenever I give interviews to hire someone, I always make SURE I ask at least one question that I know the applicant will not be able to answer--I want to see how they respond. I want to know if they are willing to admit they don't know something, or if they'll try to BS through it. It is the quickest way I've found to see how someone responds under pressure.

If you are asked a question about "What should you do if....", do your best to answer. If you don't know, admit it. You can always add that you're looking forward to learning, and you will pick these things up quickly, when they train you.

14. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

Alright, Ann. I'll answer every question as honestly as I can. I think they chose to interview me because I said in my application that I am willing to learn anything.

15. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

.... ill informed... unsure... stubborn... changable... in need of advice... (the list goes on :))

All the best of luck - you have a headstart with the "willing to learn" attitude.
    *keeps fingers crossed that all goes well*

16. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

At 15 i was a dishwasher, by 21 i was the youngest hospitality manager of a football club in the country!! and what a rollercoaster ride that was!

Turn up 10mins early - punctuality
    Make sure you are groomed, hair, nails, smell etc and look smart even if you do wear a suit for the job of a dishwasher, makes you look like your actually interested in being there, if they ask if your flexible then the answers yes, everybody hates people who refuse to work sat nights above all look happy and enjoy it, sit up and keep your hands out of you pocket and away from your face!!

17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Don't they have automatic dish washers? =/

PL

18. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Ye but someone has to load it!!

19. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Today is the day! Good luck Stutta!:)

20. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!