Goddbye To You All

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Xue Fang, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Xue Fang

Xue Fang Bluebelt

Dear all,

My father is kicking me out onto the streets by a month's time. I can't afford to pay rent for a flat or uni halls AND afford food and other necessaries at the same time, so I expect I shall be dropping out of my university course and find a homeless centre somewhere, or failing that, I will live on the streets. In any case, I shan't have a computer, or indeed any means of communication. So I guess this is goodbye.

Xue Fang

2. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

You have 1 month to get a job then I guess.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

1 month to find a job, stay at a friends place or pay rent at a friends place.

Out of the above the most difficult is to find a job.

4. xen

xen insanity by design

if you are already at uni, go and speak to your supervisor who will put you in touch with services at your uni who can help.

they will be able to help you find somewhere to stay and will help you organise applying for financial assistance, they will also be able to help you find work both part-time and during the summer (think here of looking for a placement that will help you with your future career)

don't, whatever you do, drop out before you have spoken to people at uni, trust me, they have seen it all before and you will find them to be both a valuable resource and an indespensible support network.

good luck and don't give up

:)

5. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

I'm with xen here. There's a lot of help available to you at uni, and a lot of people who know what they're talking about. Your situation won't be the first they've helped through.

The first thing you need to do is speak to the right people at your uni.

6. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

yep, stop being defeatist!!!

think if it as a challenge to be independant.

7. Emil

Emil Valued Member

I'm really sorry to hear about that, but as all the others said - contact people in your uni. They can help you out.

Good Luck

8. Victoria

And that's if your father goes through with it. I don't know you or your father but I know of very few parents who would see their child on the streets, even after threatening.

9. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

I can kinda see his point given Xue's profile

10. SonOfGrimmy

SonOfGrimmy Valued Member

Somehow I can't find much sympathy for you.
    Quite tempted to say good for you. I think your father is doing you a favor quite honestly.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  11. Victoria

The only point I'll make with regards to profile is that I'm surprised at her being so quick to drop out of uni given the "Determined to stay in the education system forever and never get a real job" line.
    (I can see now you've quoted that too...)

But, I think we should bare in mind that we have no idea what's been going on here :)

12. Good support everybody. :rolleyes:

Best advice.

13. Victoria

It's not support from a martial arts forum that she needs :rolleyes:

14. SonOfGrimmy

SonOfGrimmy Valued Member

Reminds me of people going on forums and asking medical advice :)

She could take Drama in school.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Nope. She needs a J O B ;)

16. Victoria

Every student housemate I've had has had a little part time job to support themselves while living away at uni. It's do-able I suppose :cool:

17. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Hey leave her alone, who the hell wants a real job anyways? slaving 9-5 to make someone else a profit, that doesnt sound like much of a life to me...

You only get one shot at life, i'm gonna try and make mine as carefree and fun as possible for as long as possible.

Why is your dad chucking you out Xue?

18. Victoria

How are you planning to support yourself?

Good question.

19. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

I make ends meet. I work a couple of days in retail, I teach beginner guitar, odd jobs, student loan, i write.

I'm gonna be doing an internship over the summer.

I'm determined to either find a job which i LOVE (the internship could be the one) or to find a better way in general, there is always a better way.

And as i said, i'll be doing it for "as long as possible", i know that one day my scampish, immature, spontaneous, laid back, self gratifying lifestyle will have to come to an end, but i aint letting it go without a fight :D

20. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Most students manage to make ends meet. Every university I have ever heard of provides hardship grants, and I'm sure the SLC will be happy to re-evaluate the support you receive if you inform them that your circumstances have changed so dramatically.
    Contact your university, find a place in halls, of which there should be plenty now, get a job (unless you are studying something ridiculous like Medicine you have no excuse) and move past it.