GM In Sun Seo Video

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by dvybe, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

2. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Very cool!

Thanks!!!!!

3. seo727

seo727 Valued Member

I was forwarded this thread and felt compelled to reply. Just to set the context, my name is Steve Seo and I am the youngest son of Grandmaster In Sun Seo. I have been training in Kuk Sool/Hapkido since I was 5 years old and have ran a school, assisted in seminars and taught my own seminars. I've grown up with martial arts and have seen the development of Kuk Sool/Hapkido in the States, the evolution of Kuk Sool/Hapkido in Korea, been exposed to and witnessed masters in various Hapkido styles represented in the Korea Kido Association, Korea Hapkido Federation/Association (Oh Se Lim's organization), International Hapkido Association (the late Myung Jae Nam's), and a myriad of other organizations, styles and disciplines. I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm an expert, but I do think I can intelligently contribute to this conversation.

To start with, I am struck by the lack of respect and overall dearth of accountability to one's posts on this thread. I would have expected more from the Martial Artists. That being said, I can't change any of that so let me at least respond to some of the posts on this site.

ChoiYoungWoo: I don't know what specific grievances you have with Grandmaster Seo but your attacks (I can't think of any other way to describe your posts) seem odd and juvenile given that you've never met Grandmaster Seo, he doesn't know who you are and to my knowledge you've never had any real interaction outside of the web with him or anyone associated with him. By coming out and stating your out right dislike for a man, don't you think that's going beyond the acceptable boundaries of healthy discourse and making it personal? I don't know about you, but given your Korean surname and your background in Martial Arts, I'd think that you'd have an inherent respect for those who've come before us and have more experience than you. If you have so much pent up anger, perhaps you should give me a call and we can talk through the specific grievences you have and I can address them one by one. You can email me at steveseo@gmail.com if you would like to take advantage of my offer.

Iron_Ox, KlaasB, et al
    I find your narrow critque of the video posted on this site laughable. Your defintion of "loose" is such an elementary and short-sighted view of the application of techniques. OF COURSE in certain demonstrations, the distance to your opponent, your axis of rotation and the application of your bodies energy will look "looser" than others. I would challenge you that in a demonstration context, the relative distance between you and your opponent should be a bit longer just so that those viewing the demonstration can see the nature of the technique. Furthermore, there's a big difference between the dynamics of continous motion techniques and single static execution that you're probably referring to. I've seen specific incidences where the "tight" techniques you're probably referring to break down when you introduce the idea of multiple opponents or continous movement. I use this as just an illustrative example as to why your statements are very miopic and lack the thoughtfullness and respect for senior Martial Artists (especially for individuals who have more experience than they do). And to top it all off, Grandmaster Seo is 64 years old and still trains on a daily basis and can execute core self defense techniques better then I can even though I'm over 30 years his junior. One of you mentioned your busy schedule and possibly not being able to train as much as you want to. Grandmaster Seo has made time and lives Martial Arts every day and has done so for almost 50 years. I really think some of you should come and witness his techniques first hand so you can judge for yourself. We have open seminars available to everyone and we have one in October in Florida. Let me know if you're interested and I'll even look into giving you a discount to make it easier for you to make it.

With respect to the question of Hapkido vs. Kuk Sool, I think it's laughable that anyone could try to pigeon hole Grandmaster Seo in either category. I've personally seen Grandmaster Seo's interaction with Suh Bok Sup and have witnessed Grandmaster Seo teaching 9th and 8th Hapkido Grandmasters (even using your narrow definition of Hapkido as only those that tie their lineage directly to Choi Young Sool Seungsengnim).

I apologize for the length of my first post here but I thought I need to be relatively thorough given the lateness of my response and the other posts that came before mine.

Steve Seo

4. klaasb

klaasb ....

I wrote something similar in the Jungkikwan-video topic. When you put a video out there, you know it will be judged. I think I also made very clear that we shouldn't judge someone after looking at just one demo of which we do not know under which circumstances it was shot.

Again, when I only look at this demonstration and see a technique like this one, I wonder why he even has to block that kick. It misses him by a few meters. Makes me wonder even more why the person is kicking, since the distance to the object is way to big to hit the target.

[​IMG]

Now we all know that demonstrations usually require other techniques, to make it look a bit more snappy. And Thomas pointed out that this demonstration was done to make a few nice photographs. That's why I said that we shouldn't judge by just looking at this video. I hope it certainly is representative of the way you would usually do techniques.

It was never my intention to be disrespectful, if I came of that way, sorry.

5. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Ok I just found an old vid of ISS that is kinda vintage/old as well as Scott as a child doing some stuff. If I can manage to, I will post it. it is more indicative of his skill. Oh and BTW they are doing KUK SOOL WON in WKSA uniforms.

6. timex

timex Valued Member

so post it.

7. timex

timex Valued Member

Steve Seo , THANKS FOR POSTING!!!

I do Hapkido, and kuk sool won syllabus as far as I can tell has different techniques, although they are part of the same family.

It seems to me that Choi youngwoo feels we are all doing Kuk Sool Won.

I hope you will post again, I agree some things were disrespectful, and uncalled for.

8. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Master Seo,

Thanks for posting. See you Aug. 4th!

9. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Greetings Master Seo, it's a great pleasure to have you here and I thank you for your informative post.

You mention the notion of "pigeon-holing" GM In Sun Seo in either category of Hapkido or Kuk Sool as being "laughable". The question that presents is whether GM In Sun Seo (and yourself) see Hapkido and Kuk Sool as two separate arts or as different faces of the same art?

Why or why not?

Thank you.

10. smk

smk New Member

It is a pleasure to read your post,Master Seo. I am planning to attend the Florida seminar. I am a member of Master James Alllison's Sun Moo Kwan. Master Allison speaks very highly of your father and recommends attending.
    I think all of this stuff about "real" Hapkido is about like comparing Tang Soo Do and Taekwondo. Some big differences,but many similarities.

11. Out-to-Lunch

Very Nice Post Seo KJN,
    GM Timmerman speaks highly of your father, and thats enough for me! A demo is just a demo IMHO I take it at that, and read no further in...I was still impressed to see the video of GM Seo...In any case I am looking forward to seeing him in person (korea '08)...

Great insight SMK...very nice example I agree 100% being a TSD practicioner for 13 years, and having studied TKD as well this makes perfect sense sir...

take care all,
    --josh

p.s. Choiyoungwoo there are tons of video hosts you can use on the net...youtube, photobucket, google video, etc. etc. etc. Also there is private hosting...I would be more than happy to host the said video on my server if that is what is required...

12. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Hello Kidosool,

Master Steve Seo will be at one of my schools here in Texas on Aug 4th for a Kuk Sool Hapkido seminar. I would like to invite you and all that might be interested to attend.

13. Out-to-Lunch

Hello Master Murphy,
    Please just call me "Josh"...I had heard about this semianr, it sounds great! I am looking into my schedual as that is the same month I am going to the NKMAA Canadian HQ for a 3 day event...If I can pull it off I will be there!

thanks!

--josh

14. 3rd Eye

3rd Eye New Member

Is the NKMAA Canadian HQ event open to any one or just its members? What will they be covering and who will be instructing at the event?

15. Out-to-Lunch

16. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

17. koshinkwan

koshinkwan New Member

I wil have to check our seminar dates on this end.

18. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

You're right ,, you don't know. If I have a serious greviance with someone I will confront them personally and directly if needed. However, I have asked questions, about seo and others, that have gone unanswered to my satisfaction. Feel free to answer them if you like. Or not....
    I have "attacked" no one. I can think of many ways to describe my posts. The fact that you "can't think of any other way" to describe them is not a reflection of the questions themselves, but a reflection of you. I have asked critical questions from an uncommon position, that I will admit. Often when people are presented with questions that, in tone or content, are different than they are used to, they probably do seem odd. I don't recall any "juvenile" questions or remarks, but if I can think of one, I reserve the right to post it if it stimulates thought.

Incorrect assumption.
    Likely a correct assumption.
    VERY incorrect assumption.
    Why?? Quite the contrary, by being up front, I state my opinion unambiguously. If I am clear on my position , how does that become "unacceptable discourse" Or would you prefer me to be sneaky and subversive? Discourse is defined as - "written or spoken communication or debate." Stating opinion on a public forum IS discourse. So, to answer your question, no, I do not think that at all. "acceptable boundaries" have not been crossed, no one is using foul language, threating people, or being rude in this discussion. I have mentioned before that I am impressed with the candor on this forum, particularly when people disagree. Thats what makes it so much more enjoyable than the other forums.

Regarding Skill in this case ,sure. I have clearly stated more than once, on many posts, that the Suh/Seo brothers, et. al. have few peers as MAists, that fact I am aware of first hand. No doubt about it. but that does not excuse them, or anyone else in high positions, from question. It also does not "automatically" grant them the same level of approbation ouside of MA.

another incorrect assumption.
    Your contact info is not hard to get. If that were necessary or useful it would have already occured. No thanks. If you would like to read previous posts and attempt to answer questions, that would be fine.. If not, I do hope that you participate in the forum. Your input would, no doubt, be interesting. CYW

I have explained that already,,, and Thomas has asked as well.... define each and their distinctions from each other. it seems that this cannot be done in such a way to satisify a quorum on this forum or thread. But I will say that a lot of what is being called HKD now is virtually identical to WKSA/KSW. What a mess!!!!

19. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

Heres a pic of Steve doing KSW as a child. As I get a chance I will post pics or vid of more HKD/KSW/KDH/HMJ/KJMS/HKMY/TGMS or whatever the "flavor of the month" name is for this wonderful stuff.

Attached Files:

20. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Easy to talk big while wearing a mask!

Hi Choi Young - Woo,

I will agree that you have not "attacked" GM Seo to a certin extent (lol! you seem much smarter than that!). However your claims and complaints are pretty agressive and very general (not specific). I will add that it sounds like you have an axe to grind and a bee in your bonnet.

I think that Master Seve Seo was just trying to be a gentleman and address your concerns about his father (and my Grand Master).

If you don't wish to contact him ...........fine.

Just keep in mind that my real name and web site can be found here, none of us know who "Choi Young Woo" is. I have through PM tried to get you to tell me who you are. You refused. Fine this is your right. It is pretty easy make slanderous remarks yet not be held accountable for them in ANY way.

Please understand that I do not make comments here that I would not make in person.

I am not a coward and neither is my friend Master Steve Seo.

I am all for freedom of speech, but this is America, if you are going to defame and insult a man at least do so under your own name.