Glima

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Stolenbjorn, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Yes, that is a VERY interresting book, given the setting it is written in (not a saga, but a father-son teaching-book). Even this book offers info that we cannot use as proof; the norse/european traditions around sources and writing the truth was somewhat different than today. I recomend anybody interrested in 10th, 11th and 12th century Scandinavian society to read this book!

-as well as some of the "practitioners"; one bloke attending a budo-gathering in my part of Norway allmost destroyed any hope for us other WMA-practitioners to be taken seriously.

Interresting!
    I happen to live in Norway, and nobody here (and I'm pretty much in the centre of what moves in WMA-sircles in norway) have heard of Stav exept from one man (don't remember his name, unfortunately) showing up at MA-congressions striking people with his staff and talking about a Norwegian staff-system rooted in the Viking age. As you are a student, I'd really like to hear more from the source (rather than through gossip from people that really didn't like what they saw).

I'm allways sceptic to people that claim to have combat-systems brought down the family-tree. I've now read the link in your post, and I must say that I'm NOT convinced!!! The biggest issue I have with this "Stav", is how it presents it's version of Norse mythology as "the truth"; the matter of factly way it's beeing presented. To me, this sounds like just another instance of New-Age exploiting/shopping in the norse mythology. (And the age of this Ivar-fella seems to fit with new age :D )

I have no problem with New Age; people that want to sell their car and claim to have reconected with Odin/Frøya, or what ever entety they like the most when reading norse texts; I've met several "shamans" in the norwegian Viking-reenactment-environment and most of them are nice people, despite the fact that they don't have a clue on Norse mythology (many claim so, but nobody really know, there are far to scarce sources, and Snorre; the best source, a christian writing down the religion that started to alter due to the proximity to christianity as much as 800 years earlier -might have got it all wrong.) Norse mumbo jumbo is just as good as any other mumbo jumbo. What I have a problem with is that some might stumble across this, and take it in as the truth, and that is sad.

The only reference to any use of staff in reacent Scandinavian history are in the folk dance, where a bloke tries to kick a hat of a pole held high up in the air, while dancing to fiddle-music, and some funny Islandic medieval games, where you try to move under a spear-shaft, another one where you try to thread yourself through :confused: a spear-shaft, and finally one where you try to get up on your feet, while having a spear threaded in a very intricat way between your arms and legs :p

After spending some minutes browsing, it seems to me that this is a "religion", that have incorporated japanese martial arts into a philosophical system, that Ivar claims to have been handed down through the generations. His only source is his uncles, so we can asume that the philosophy is at least 70 years old, but further than that, it's impossible to claim anything.

If Stav had been presented as a religion/wiew on life based on pagan/norse mythology and family-tradition with EMA mixed into it, I would have no problem with this. It's the speculative way it's beeing presented on the net that provokes me.
    Peace and Love from a Norwegian that follows another norwegian tradition; "Janteloven" (Don't stand out, be one of the crowd, take down any (norwegian) that makes a name for him self :D )

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  2. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

We're currently discussing Glima on a norwegian WMA-thread, and one have a theory on wether Glima could really be based on some sort of Highland-wresteling, some other scottish/british wresteling-traditions. It's a very important question, because if there is a strong link, it is an indication that "glima" was adapted from british traditions, and that it is only folk-tradition and myth that has it that Glima originates from old Norse traditions.

Do any of you have any oppinion on that one, of could any of you provide us with links to the websites that mentions dirk-dances/highland-wresteling/the funny game where you kick the opponents shin with your foot, etc.)?

If we can find no strong link (in technique or in source-matereal) that indicates that Glima came from England/scottland over to Norway/Iceland, then Glima could indeed be the Viking sport it claims to be. So far the only indication that Glima is as old as some claim it is, is from the name itself; "Glima"; which is a norse word.

It could be that the vikings exportet glima to england, and that glima is the ancestor of all theeese northern-british martial sports, but I have a feeling that you brits are going to contest that one :p

3. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

"Purring"

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. Flipper

Flipper Banned Banned

Image removed - Freeform

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2006
  5. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Glima'd

Hi Stolenbjorn

I have certainly noticed the similarities between Glima and Scottish wrestling/dance, but like some of the Glima practicioners I have read/spoke too, I tend to believe that it was the Norse who influenced the Scots.

Mainly because of the superiority of the viking combat skills during the height of their power and their total domination over large areas of Scotland for many years. It would make more sense for the Scottish Scots(Irish), Picts and Britons under norse rule in Scotland to adopt the fighting techniques of the more successful vikings.

Like many other warrior cultures, the Scots (and Irish) took the best bits of Glima and added their own. :woo:

Louie