games for teaching tkd

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by tkd ajumma, Nov 6, 2003.

1. tkd ajumma

tkd ajumma New Member

I'm compiling a list of games for teaching kids taekwondo, trying to think of ways to get them interested in tkd and have fun at the same time.

For example, martial arts 'Simon Says' (the teacher says 'Simon says (sabom says?) low block', the class does low block, 'Simon says do front kick', class does front kick, the teacher says 'high block' and because they didn't hear 'simon says', the class shouldn't do it). Once they get used to it, start introducing more Korean terms.

Or, for reaction training, get the kids in a circle, one in the centre, blindfolded, holding a kicking pad. A child from the circle kicks the kicking pad, and the blindfolded one has to touch the kicker with the pad before they get away.

I think the game 'Twister' would be good for helping the littlies with left and right.

OK, anybody got any other good games they play with young ma learners? I have a few more, if anyone is interested.

2. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i'd love to hear more about those games :)

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Banned Banned

Have a look at

Play as the way:

http://www.onedragon.com/train_childrenprog.shtml

The video's are excellent with lots of good drills that kids get into, not TKD specific but easily adapted for TKD needs.

Simple games like "stepping stones" where you lay out kick pads for them to use as stepping stones, with the distance between each large enough so they have to jump, a simple way to work balance, as for most of the time they are stood on one foot.

The biggest thing to do is to have it all as a game, lots of laughter and play. Make the games not a martial game, but an (JKDC warning!!) attribute development.

Its harder work running a kids class than an adults one!!!!

4. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

definitely, i agree. the kids are a completely different world. i'll check out the link! thanx :)

5. tkd ajumma

tkd ajumma New Member

Thanks for the link Patrick, I just watched the preview video and it looks great fun, it put me in a good mood for the rest of the evening anyway. I like the bit where the kids are dodging the gym ball and one does a limbo/back flippy thing.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2003