fruity aikido

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Dead_pool, Mar 21, 2009.

1. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

You had fun then Bear :p

Kogusoku I completely agree. But to get them to do that we need to solve another problem. The tendency to go native. Perhaps the solution is to bread a small army of Bears to whack people on the head from time to time keeping their feet firmly planted on the ground and their heads in the real world.

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

That still cracks me up. Karateka will say kime at this point focus their punch or kick then go down the pub while the aiki mystics are still yammering on.

Freaks me out and I don't even drink.

regards koyo

3. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

To me it is not even Aikido.As I said ...........crap:evil::hat:

4. Kraen

Kraen Valued Member

One thing i've noticed in class (at the legitimate dojo I go to) is a lot of terms that might make sense to someone with a little grass on their backs.. but mean nothing and only serve to confuse the beginners (ex. show your back without showing your back on Shomenuchi shionage*) might cause wanna-be believers to be full-time believers.

This thought occurred because during the break I talk to a higher belt (brown belt) and recently he mentioned how higher ranks are getting 'what's called technique with no technique.'

Now to someone who hasn't even done his first test that could mean a million and one things. But he explained how what people mean when they say that is they're 'feeling their uke' and finding which ways they can go with them being powerless to stopping it. And as for the 'with no technique' part he means they usually don't get into things like nikyo and are finding themselves in the traditional irumenage position. And the second you start to 'give your partner something' (wet noodle, dry noodle comes to mind) an opening where they can counter it opens. So by following the 'no tension pathways' they end up not even considering (sankyo) for example.

Another part that might seem to contribute to the popularity of "Ki Aikido" punching bags popping up everywhere might be (as far as I have seen) the lack of scientific explanation for body positioning and mechanics.

Later on he was explaining how this one technique* was essentially a circle with your elbow underneath ukes chin. And the reason why it works is because circles are constantly accelerating towards the centre. But not everyone has taken Physics 12 so you can't use it in class as an example so you have to find a way to explain it to someone who, per se, got to grade 9 then spent the rest of his life in a mill/out logging.

So I figure this might be a contributor to the perpetuation of the 'Ki Aikido' attitude.. they simply just don't know any better. Can ignorance and misinformation be a just cause for hating someone? Not saying this is the be-all-end-all, but just something to consider.

*you'll have to forgive my ignorance for not knowing the accepted spelling for the names of said techniques or simply not knowing their name at all. :p

-Kraen

5. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Koyo I have read in my dads journals about one of your pupils the late sensei George Girvan I wonder what he would have said about these videos.

6. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Ignorance isn't an excuse for being stupid. Just because you're ignorant of martial arts doesn't mean you're devoid of all common sense. It's also not an excuse for blatantly ignoring the obvious questions all martial artists must ask. Does this actually work? What is its' purpose?

It's also not an excuse for those that do know better and deliberately lead others down a path of misinformation for their own self gratification. The spiritually superior very often don't allow their student to wander and visit other clubs or God forbid cross-train! :eek:

7. koyo

George was a fine very tough aikido instructor.He would have been sceaming for some dojo arashi. You may find it mentioned in your dad's notes. If so DO NOT post it here.

regards koyo

dojo arashi (dojo storming)

Kraen

In my opinion there is no need for cryptic speach when teaching simply because there are no secrets and very ADVANCED aikido is mastery of the BASIC principles.

regards koyo

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  8. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Have looked very carefully not a mention of Dojo Arashi

9. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

When I look at some old video's of demonstrations given by Koyo then look at the above rubbish video words just fail me. Even although my dad is ill and has memory failure, I told him to look at this crap all I can say is he burst out laughing then got a little angry, when I asked why are you angry he answered " why not ?"

10. Panzerhaust

Panzerhaust Banned Banned

Ditto for most martial arts. I think I heard this at least once a class from my sensei :hat:

11. Good grief!!!! I've heard of "fruity-cosmic-noodle-arm-fall-down-with-no-resistance" Aikido before, but this is the first I've ever actually SEEN it!!!:jawdrop::cry: No wonder so many people laugh at Aikido and think it's a joke! :bang:

I first watched both videos with no sound and it looked pathetic, then I watched them again with sound and I couldn't believe what the "instructor" was saying!!! The knife video was worse as they didn't have any control over the knife! :mad:

Quick question--This is the first site I've ever heard the term "Aiki bunnies". Does "Aiki bunnies" mean the type of practioners who train with the whole cosmic crap and no resistance?

Fuzzy Panther :turtle:

12. koyo

I am afraid that I coined that phrase to describe those who bounce about the mat and harmonise so much that their numbers multiply like bunnies.

It is not ment to be insulting just an apt description.:evil:

In answer to your question YES

regards koyo

13. Lol! That is an apt description. :cool:

I'm strongly reminded of a guy who (years ago) used to train with us off and on for awhile. I'm not sure he's exactly Aikibunny, but he's close in some ways. He trained off and on with another group that practiced no resistance. When he did techniques his arms were like wet noodles and flopped around and if he couldn't "noodle" the technique to work then he blamed me for resisting when he didn't even take my balance. But when it was my turn to practice, his wet noodle arms instantly turned into iron bands and he bucked up and resisted with every thing he had. Then when I had trouble (I was 5th and 4th kyu at the time) he tried to "teach me"...incorrectly. Besides that he was the sweetest guy, but he was a big pain to try to practice with. Last I heard he moved and found a dojo that is (by reputation) very "aikibunny-ish".

Fuzzy Panther :Angel:

14. koyo

Ha ha been there done that.

Finally got fed up and bounced him into the mat. He lay there with a smirk and said "You have a fighting mind!!" Then he left.

He is still "training" somewhere else of course. Why don't they ever just leave??:bang:

regards koyo

15. Blast

Blast Valued Member

If he would show that with a punch at full speed I believe him, but he doesn't so he's making totally useless vids of things that do not work, except for confusing some people who believe this.

16. koyo

If he showed that against a punch from me...we would not hear from him again:evil::evil:

They call this crap "advanced" aikido and the truth is the more "advanced" they get the WORSE their whatever it is (it is NOT aikido) becomes.

regards koyo

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  17. koyo

Wonder what he would do if Mr Angry (Big derek 6'4") launched a haymaker like this one??

regards koyo

Attached Files:

18. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

My answer to the above:-
    Not the same as you would do.

19. Blast

Blast Valued Member

hehe, I'd pay money to see that happen :evil:

20. vyrrch

vyrrch New Member

just thought i would contribute these two wonderful clips of "Advanced Budo© "

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4q4zJ92fNo&feature=related"]YouTube - "Invisible" Aiki[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ZnVK22di0&feature=related"]YouTube - Instructing Invisible Aiki 2[/ame]