From ITA to ATA

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by OmahaJay, Oct 26, 2015.

1. OmahaJay

OmahaJay New Member

Hello all!

Quick background: I practiced Tae Kwon Do as a young teen in Omaha, then later ITA (International Taw Kwon Do Alliance) in Mississippi, Karate in Okinawa, Wing Chun in Virginia, and now I am in Key West, FL. The school here is ATA (American Taekwondo Association). I left ITA as a Sr. Green, what should I expect as far as what belt to wear and what test I should take next if I go to the ATA school here?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jay

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

This is something that only the school itself can accurately answer. Have you asked them?

Generally it will mean "starting over" with the caveat that you should be able to climb quicker due to prior experience. With green being a relatively low grade it will probably be a complete start over

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

My advice would be to contact the instructor/school first and ask them. Stopping by in person is nice too... get an idea of what they expect as well as let the instructors know of your background. If you plan to train, I'd recommend bringing your rank belt as well as a white belt and be prepared to wear either one.

Some school will recognize previous rank and some don't - check in with the instructors before training.

4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Jay - is that the only MA school available? I'd caution you to go in with your eyes fully open and to understand the two or three year contracts that you will be asked to sign are, depending on your state, legally binding (thankfully, there is a relocation clause) and know how much you will shell out for fees and whatnot at the BB level ( I've heard it to be extortionate ) before you sign anything.

Know also that, unless things have changed, the schools and members of this org are not allowed to spar or compete with any other school or member that is not within the ATA.

Know also that, unless things have changed, all sparring and tournaments are point-stop only.

Our first foray into any sort of MA was in putting one of our kids into this place - we didn't know anything. Thanfully, as said, there was a relocation clause, lol.

Mind you, its a big, clean, well-funded operation and there are some very good instructors and schools within the org - we were fortunate to have some of them - but everything is designed to funnel $$$$$ to the top of the food chain. A business model where MA are 'product' to be marketed and sold - nothing wrong with that - but you need to be aware of how the MA franchise works and so forth - some take deep issue with it.

It might be right for you - just make sure you are aware of what the final bill will be before you sign on - and that might take some determination on your part.

5. OmahaJay

OmahaJay New Member

Thanks.

You guys are quick. I do understand some of these schools are about making money. I have actually been to a few ATA schools where I didn't even go to the free class because of how the Black Belt people trying to get me to sign up seemed to not be very professional or even as knowledgeable as I would expect. The ITA school I went to was one of the better schools of the "franchise type" I have seen. I will stop in and maybe try the free class wearing just some basic workout gear instead of a uniform, if they allow it. I was hoping there was a basic structure of how each rank could compare between the clubs.

Belltoller, I appreciate the extra info. I was unaware they may not be able to spar outside their club. That is something I can ask as well. That would be a huge decision factor.

Thanks again,
    Jay

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Yeah - do check and update us. But is that true of all TKD orgs? ITA only has tournaments with other ITA schools, WTA with WTA?

Don't want to single out one when its true across the board.

7. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

I know I've seen plenty of WTF and Jhoon Rhee students at open tourmanets around here. And sparring is their most popular category to enter.

8. OmahaJay

OmahaJay New Member

Called

I forgot to ask about open tournaments or competing against other clubs. But I asked about the governing body for ranking, and since they are not Kukkiwon I decided not to pursue. The other place down here is Jiu Jitsu. I guess I'll just not get any instruction during these few years here.

Jay

9. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I wouldn't be turned off by the lack of Kukkiwon rank. The ATA can be a mixed bag... I have seen some stellar students come from the ATA (and some not-so-stellar). They have their own set of patterns (long ones) and spar with a slightly different sparring rule set than WTF (less contact but allows for more hands). From my experience, they also do a bit with weapons. They are also very well organized as far as teaching people on how to become instructors.

If your choice is ATA or nothing, it might be worth checking out a few classes... might be a good place after all.

10. M1911a1

M1911a1 New Member

I would personally look up ATA on google and read as much as you can stand.
    I would recommend you go to that Jujitsu place instead.

What else is in the area?

11. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

i have first hand expierence with the ATA so in my advice RUN!!!!! and run FAST!!!!!!

12. HairoNoSora

HairoNoSora Valued Member

wow.. really? I... can't think of a word the TOS allows to descibe how I think about rules like that :eek:

13. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Not striking a striking based art but there is a Relson a Gracie black belt running a club in your area, is that the club you mean?

14. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

The ATA broke off from the ITF. The ITA broke off from the ATA...now the ATA has created Songham TKD and the ITA (rebranded as Tiger Rock) has the Ho-am style.

Each are now effectively their own unique creation separate from Chang Hon Taekwondo, yet they both follow a progressive business model.