[Freestyle/Sporting MA] high school wrestling! supplements?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Wilson, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

hello, im 16, 6'3 and 155.5 lbs im in 11 year of school and I am going to start wrestling this year. I am wondering if it is ok to take some supplements to lose body fat and gain some muscle. I am going to wrestle in the 145 weight class. I was thinking of taking HotRox and NO-xplode, would that be a good idea. I took creatine this past summer and i gained 20 lbs off it, but some of it is fat i think.

2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I think you lose about an extra 100 calories a day with most legal weight loss supplements. If you're looking to lose fat a better choice would be a combination of improvements in diet and exercise.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  3. Emil

Emil Valued Member

By the sounds of things, you don't need to lose fat. I mean, 155.5lbs at 6'3? I'm only 5'7 and I'm 166lbs, but not fat. But yeah, if you really want to lose fat, the best idea is cardio work. For gaining strength, muscle, and losing fat, try doing some callisthenic workouts.

4. PANIC.EXE

PANIC.EXE New Member

creatine is horrible for wrestling. fill you muscles up with water weight, then when you dehydrate yourself for cutting weight it could kill you(heart attack). Your hearts a muscle too, therefore it gets filled with water and when thats drained it does alotta damage. besides, 10 lbs isnt hardly anything to cut.

5. James Funaro

James Funaro Formerly "joe nobody"

At 6'3 and 155lbs why would you want to lose more weight? Your 16, work on developing technique and lean muscle mass. Combative sports do require muscle and by the looks of it you would be good to add some. Don't struggle to cut weight to make the match "easier", focus on technique. You have plenty of time to work on weight management when you are in 11/12 grade.

I would not take creatine mono in season as it may add up to 5lbs water weight. Off season don't bother with supplements either except maybe a PWO shake. At such a light BW you would do well gaining on a compound routine with noob gains.

It may also be unhealhy for you to loe more weight, your body isn't fully matured and such a low BF could mess you up in the future.

6. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

its just that the kids at 155 i hear are reallllyyyy strong. im in my 11th year incase you didnt see. I forgot to mention i do mma, and really the only reason i want to wrestle is to improve my mma skills. I just didnt want to go in my first year of wrestling and get owned by the kids with way better technique and way stronger than i am. Yah im off the creatine now. Im trying out No-xplode its pretty good so far, but whats a PWO shake? and how do i gain lean muscle mass?

7. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

anyone else wanna comment on this?

8. Cabalcincotiros

Cabalcincotiros New Member

Well, if the kids at that weight are really strong it's because they've been wrestling longer. While strength is a boon to wrestlers is is not a neccessity. Technique will beat strength any day. You are starting a little too late for high school my friend. But if your heart is into it late is better than never. Go on a high protein diet and keep hydrated. Train for endurance ie low weight lifting, lots of reps, circuit/round robin wrestling. Make sure you rest properly and learn proper technique. If all you are into it is for improvement in MMA skills then don't expect to excel in wrestling, that's the wrong attitude. Wrestlers are a loner breed and consider themselves a "cut above" any other high school athlete. I consider wrestling on the Intercollegiate level as the most grueling in all of the Varsity sports. Wrestling will make a difference in any martial based art as it is the epitomy of "close quarter combat". So go for it and good luck!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  9. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

thanks alot, ill most definatley be on the team because my school only has 400 kids in it and they prettty much need people. Well the main reason is to improve my mma skills, but i also would like to do good in wrestling. Once i get into somthing i get almost obsessed about it so i hope that helps me do good.

10. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

If you want to do MMA you need to gain weight. Wrestle at whatever weight class you can make while trying to make gains. I just go to captain's practices at my school for working takedowns and takedown defense. When they do their other crap I roll with another one of my friends who takes jiu-jitsu. IMO wrestling teaches a lot of bad habbits for sub fighting.

11. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

true true that sounds like a good idea... i might actually do that, do you ever have wrestling matches, because a couple people want me to have some matches but i dont wanna get embarrassed in front of the whole school ..: \

12. Agutrot-

I've never had a wrestling match, but I do as many BJJ tournaments as possible. If you don't have any BJJ tournies near you, wrestling matches might give you a good idea what it's like at full speed, as well as help you get used to competing in front of people. Honestly, another reason I don't want to compete is the stupid outfits.

13. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

great job....it will help you mma a lot.....look at the ufc randy, chuck and lindland......all have different styles all have wrestling in common

but at 6'3"....dude you wont stay 155 for long....you need to gain weight and in the long run you will its enevitable.
    you might be a string bean now but you wont stay that way.

btw you will find that the competion gets weaker in the higher weight classes so get there,

also what you may give up in strenght you will make up for in reach and leveage....and if you lift eventually strenght

also since our just doing this to get better at mma,(do your best anyway)
    just take your lumps at the higher weight and im sure you team needs you so take one for the team.

and as someone who has been on a wrestling team....we family...who cares what the "whole school" thinks...dont worry you will still get chicks ....atheletes always do.

so quit starving yourself and get you skinny butt into the weight room.

squats, cleans, deads and bench...go heavy or dont go

and start packing some mass on that wonderful frame

btw i would love to have your "problem"

14. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

really is that why most of the ufc champs have wrestling backgrounds...i wish i had them kind of bad habits

seriously i know what you mean but.....most are faily easy to correct

15. Agutrot-

Crap = stuff not "crap." IMHO I think in MMA wrestling is only important in takedown and takedown defense. Once you're in position it's jiu-jitsu movements.

16. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

kinda.....but take down and takedown defense is a huge part of mma......especally since it is so important to be in top position....lest face it the guard is not the position it once was....alot of guys can really punch/elbow out of it while avoiding the sucker moves.

also the takedown/ takedown defence aspect let you decide where the fight is....ie if you are a better grappler takedown.....if a better striker stay up

but there are other advantages to being on a team

1. you get in great shape
    2. the training is free
    3. you will get a lot of experence dealing with the excitement/ adreniline rush of being in competion
    4. help you get a good base for ground control
    5. and unless a lot has changed since i went to school ...athelete get the chicks

17. Agutrot-

That's exactly what I said.