Forms: Ki Cho Hyung - Woohn Ohk Hyung

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Hyeongsa, Apr 3, 2010.

1. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Hi, Dragonkarma.

If you take the time to READ what is posted on YouTube for that video (as well as passing it through an online translator if you aren't fluent in spanish), you'll see that WKSA or In Hyuk Suh is never mentioned.

The title translates as "Richard Escobar's Form"

And the comment by the person who posted it reads, "First National Tournament Kuk Sool Venezuela."

FWIW, I don't want to debate the kuk sool ≠ KSW issue, as you should realize by now that there are plenty of people who say they do "kuk sool" who are in no way connected to WKSA/KSW. :bow1:

2. MACA

MACA Valued Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  3. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Well, besides the fact I've never seen it preformed that way before, it was actually pretty good: low stances, focus, intensity, and overall "i'ma kill ya" attitude.

What makes me smile is you can see the northern/chinese influences on this form. And this validates my saying "theres no such thing is a wrong way of doing a form". It all depends who your teacher is and how you precieve the form. If I were to do that form that way I would not look anywhere near that good because my body is not designed for that kind of motion (he is REAL slim). You have to do the motions with what fits your body.

I've watched students of Kung Jung Mu Sool do Guhm Mu Hyung before and it looks very different from how I do it/how I was taught, but I don't think your doing it wrong (or right), just that your doing another version of Guhm Mu Hyung.

4. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Well, I posted my post and twelve others jumped ahead of me. Where'd you all come from?!

KSW4Life: Is this sarcasm?! They havent' changed a single form, you just weren't paying attention to the way they were doing it the first time....*ahem*.....^^

MACA: Don't worry about DragonKarma....he's still trying to make up for his screw up in the WKSA. He's just being overly loyal so they don't throw him out. ^.~

5. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

lol, i don't think that what he is doing is wrong. quite rather, i was blown away by the fury. i am not THE authority, but in kjms, "fast-hands" 4 out of 5 times translates as "out of control" hands. when translating the hyeong beop for "fast-hands", we mean "crisp" "precise" and "not slow". just like "feet slow" does not exactly mean the student should kick slow.

but hey, my instructor was doing tkd since he could walk, so his definition of control is wayyyyyyyyyyy different than somebody who...well, somebody else.

6. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

wrong Smiley???
    more like[​IMG] ???

7. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

I have noticed that my KS forms look different than the WKSA versions I see online. I heard that last major change was in the 1980's. Anyone that can verify this? Not Won bashing. Just curious.

Also to be fair, the post made by DragonKarma was only referring to WKSA forms, not Kuk Sool in general, and it said nothing about it being right or wrong, just that it should be done the WKSA way if someone was in the WKSA.

There was a time when every master changed the forms but I think the "standardization" thing changed that.

8. unknown-KJN

Exactly why I posted what I did, Cz (post #561).

Don't be fooled by the fact that he started out by complimenting the guy (in the very first phrase) as he quickly reveals his true purpose, taking what I determined to be a condescending tone with the opening statement of his second paragraph ("He needs to see the HQ masters:"). If the guy is deemed to be truly skillful, he shouldn't NEED to do anything other than continue to follow his current training regimen. :thinking:

The tweaks to the forms that I noticed, back in the days before the "stranglehold" on creative expression was more heavily enforced, were usually just that - stylistic in nature, where any established MAist could easily recognize the form that was being performed, even if it was slightly different from how one might do it themselves.

So when, exactly, was your *disconnect* with the Won? Not Cz-bashing, just curious is all. ;)

9. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

Thanks Unknown-I was just trying to attone for my usual trash talking :)

10. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Owww! My head hurts!! Glad YOU guys can keep this all straight. You may not mean to come across this way but what I understand from the last flurry of posts is the following.

The guy in the clip is doing his own version, of Venezualen KUK SOOL's version of SUH In Hyuk's original version of this form. What the guy in the clip ought to be doing is the WKSA later-revision of SUH In Hyuk's original version of this form. Do I have this right or should I just step outside and blow my brains out and save myself the nervous breakdown. Help?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

11. elliotmurphy

elliotmurphy Valued Member

Well Bruce it depends on wether or not you feel the need to debate with yourself wether or not the history or the bullet makes it a real bullet or not, lmao. Just joking, have a nice day

12. unknown-KJN

Stop it, Bruce! You're gonna make me split my sides open. :D

If you were to compare both versions side by side, you'd probably be able to count the differences on one hand. Does this help you to wrap your head around the controversy?

13. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

That makes you sound like you've been studying Schroedinger's Cat this week

14. elliotmurphy

elliotmurphy Valued Member

Not this week jamesdevice, but once upon a time I did. I was just attempting to be humorous. Fyi, I'm not always good at it, and I probably won't quit my day job to be a comedian

15. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Yes....much appreciated. I also caught the comment on the hands flapping around. From the earliest days in MA I was taught that each form has its own rhythmn that ebbs and flows as the form proceeds. My very first MA teacher taught that one should always be suspicious of folks who felt the need to blow through a form at top speed as they were usually hiding something like poor understanding of the material. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

16. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

so was I - and nor will I
    something in common there at least!