forging posts?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by gemtkd, May 16, 2011.

1. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

I think its used more in demo's, as it has a 'wow' factor for the general public, rather than the performer trying to show they are hard as nails.

Obviously TKD requires it for all gradings, from very early on, so I would hazard that most do it because they have to, rather than because they want to - its just the way of things. But thats a different discussion.

Stuart

2. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Out of curiosity how does a breaking technique differ "from the kind of punch used to actually punch someone"? I'm not a fan of breaking myself so I haven't developed any specific breaking techniques and movements. Granted i'm not talking about breaking 13 concrete slabs here either but more the one ones where someone is holding the board.

3. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

You are reading WAY too much into breaking. I work the heavy bag a couple times a week (not as long as I perhaps should, but no reason to get into the time pressures of a working adult). I also, however, enjoy working on breaking. It is a challenge. And when you are in a demo you've got one chance to do it (no one thinks you are 'hard as nails' after you miss it 3 times). Is it always practical? Not really. I'm working on a blind-folded 360 side right now (I can't get it consistently). Obviously this is a technique I would never use 'on the street' ("Wait wait wait!!! Don't attack me yet. I have to get my blindfold first!!!" :) )

But realistically I'm never going to use any of this 'on the street' anyway. I'll probably never grapple with anyone 'on the street'. I'll probably never use the butterfly guard sweep I was working last night 'on the street', either. Etc etc etc.

You get to a point where you realize that almost all of this is impractical for a typical adult life. The time you put in does not equal the self-defense benefits (when you factor in the chance of getting attacked by an experience martial artist 'on the street' as a middle aged adult). At that point it comes down to how much you enjoy the activity.