Forearm and rist excersises

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by kenshiro, Oct 14, 2003.

1. kenshiro

kenshiro New Member

Hi,
    I just wanted to know if there was any excersises one could do
    to strengthen the rist and forearm as I am going to do wing chun kung fu soon and I know that this martial art conditions the forearm and rist a lot.

Many Thanks

Ferdinand

2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

:p
    LOL!

No I musn't.....No stop it

3. kenshiro

kenshiro New Member

dont even go there lol

4. SoKKlab

Okay,
    I'm over it now, back to the constructive me.
    Hokay try some of these:

Chin Ups but with towels hanging over the beam or bar
    -grip them and go as normal.

Also try Chin ups but only using your fingers to grip hooked over the bar, yr Forearms will thank you.

Grab some dumbells (Or a Barbell), hold your arms at 90 degree angles, as if halfway thru a dumbell curl (Keep yr elbows in-No cheating) and then flex the wrist up and down, lifting the DB but keeping the rest of the arm still.

Variation on this is to let the DB roll to the end of yr fingers and then scoop it back up as you bring the wrist and DB back up.

Also try some Chin Na wrist twisting.
    Usually you do this with Bamboo but a strong towel will suffice. Attach or tie it to something solid, then twist the Towel Clockwise then Anti-Clockwise until failure or Forearms feel like they have been set on fire.

Try a variation of this by going hand over hand and twisting yr way up and down the attached towel.

Get a Chin Na ball-bearing bag, chuck it in the air and catch it again and again for grip and forearm endurance and strength.

Get some wooden or bamboo rods and tie them together and twist them back and forth.

The Classic Squeezy Grip and Eagle Claw Catcher will help with grip and forearm endurance, strength etc also.

Modern items like the Flexi-Grip and other brand names are very good.

If you have access to more equipment, then sit on a Bench that has a very Heavy Barbell on it. Place yr arms in the 90 degree position below it, with your Forearms against it.

Try to move the Barbell just by moving yr out straight forearms upwards ala Bruce Lee. Isotonic, Isokinetic-can't remember the term...

That's a few to be getting on with.

5. stvn

stvn Valued Member

Hi Kenshiro, I train in Lau Gar & am finding the 'Jorn Sau' form very useful for strengthening the wrists & forearms due to it's twisting motions & dynamic tension. If you don't want to go to the trouble of learning this form I'd recommend a book by Harry Wong called 'Dynamic Strength' which is full of dynamic tension exercises for the whole body, including the wrist/forearms.
    Hope this helps.
    Stvn.

6. SoKKlab

Yes,
    I second that, Harry Wong's 'Dynamic Tension' book is Great (A Classic).

If you like feeling like you are about to explode with tension dynamically-you can't go Wong...

7. SoKKlab

Oh Yeah,
    Try a variation of the Dumbell exercise, by turning the hand into a Wing Chun style punch, elbow bent against the body-90 degrees.

The DB should now be Vertical in your fist.
    Hold reasonably tight and move the hand up and down flexing the wrist joint up and down, mimicing the Wing Chun final snap movement of a punch.
    Works the Forearms.

Alternatively use a Old Style Whistle Kettle, or a Saucepan (Kitchen Fu).

8. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

get yourself a pair of nunchucks and in stance with the right arm do 100 figure eights downwards then same other arm then 100 upwards then 10 figure eights then transfer to other arm same repeat as per requirements this also works chest shoulders lats and stomach pretty much all i used to stay toned a couple of hours of differents weapons everynight... if you do it where you can see your reflection you can see that it cust your abs on 45 degree angles giving good defination and you will deffinately feel your forearms strengthen

also forms are good done realy slowly focusing your energy...

also those hand grip exercise things rock climbers use is good for gripping strength and forearms i guess you just have to find something you enjoy doing so you will keep doing it :)

9. kenshiro

kenshiro New Member

Thanks a lot everybody. So much useful information I will try out everything and see which one suits me best.

Many Thanks

Ferdinand