For Whom the bell tolls

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by finite monkey, Mar 27, 2012.

1. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Thursday night is my last judo lesson before my first competition...The Galway Open

My trainer is away so it will just be a few of us guys training informally together, so we will set the agenda of the session

Can I get some advice on how best to maximise this 2 hours in preparation for Saturday

Thanks

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

- You need to have "plan" and stick to it. Write your "plan" inside your Gi (inside you lapel) so you can read it to futher remind yourself when you are on the mat.
    - Apply your best moves 3 times (commit 100%). If fail, use your best move (now only commit 30% on your 1st move) to set up your next move (combo) and try it 3 times. If still fail, play defense and counter (wait for your opponent to make mistake).
    - Always remember that if your opponent can't get hold on you, he can't throw you.
    - The moment that your opponent get hold on you, sacrisfice your own grips and break his grips apart.
    - Try to achieve you have 2 grips but your opponent only has 1 grip, or you have 1 grip but your opponent has no grip. You then try to obtain your 2nd grip on the way in.
    - If you don't have the ability to break your opponent's grips (your opponent has monster grips), try to take advantage on his grips.
    - If your opponent want to straight his arm (stiff arms), help his to straight his arm even more. If your opponent want to bend his arm (mantis arms), help his to bend his arm even more.
    - If your opponent has upper lapel grip, move your head under it and to the other side.
    - If your opponent grabs on your sleeve, wrap his wrist and under hook him.
    - Try not to let your opponent to grab on your sleeve (major hand control). Use 80% of your energy to avoid that if needed (the reward will be great).
    - If your opponent's arm surrounds your waist, over hook him and crack his elbow joint.
    - If your opponent's arm gets cross lapel hold, get his cross lapel (under his arm) and crack his elbow joint.
    - grab your opponent's Gi and start to run toward his back. This will force him to commit (either yield into you, or resist against you), you can then take advantage on his commitment.
    - Don't try anything new.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  3. finite monkey

Thanks YKW thats great

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

breathe, relax, do :)

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It will be helpful if you have a piece of lemon skin in your mouth. It will make you relax. I assume the chewing gun or chewing tobacoo will do the same.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  6. Osu,

Get ready to enjoy yourself... if not, why compete? :)
    You should be ready by now, so a little polishing of flows and combinations should be good.

Osu!

7. finite monkey

Thanks guys :cool:
    the
    I am ok with nerves. I've a few TKD comps and middledistance/x country races, so I know what to expect and how to get through the fear.
    My 7.5 daughter will also be competeing so I will have another focus instead of worrying about the fights. She may film it for me ...so hold tight for that!

Tonight I'm warey of randori incase I catch an injury, and I'm pretty sure the other guys will indulge me to help me prepare.

Also, I've been practicing away with an innertube, so myfootwork is getting way smoother (I got a compliment from one of the guys the other week *beams with pride*)

8. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I have no advice to give. I can only wish you the best of luck.

Good luck!

9. finite monkey

Funny you should ask as I was just considering that question

Partly I feel like I sould get a competative fight under my belt. Partly as an initiation process to become a true warrior judoka. Sounds corny, but hey, I was in a Mens Group!

I am sure it will also improve my judo, but thats just an abstract for me at the moment

The main reason I am going to fight in Galway is because monkey child number 2, showed an intrest after her last comp recently, and I thought whilst I was there I'd give it a craic!

Pity it wasnt in Cork

10. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

best of luck!

Meet new friends and see old ones and have lots of fun! x

11. finite monkey

Thanks Blade

It's going to be great golden time for me and my daughter, times we will both look back on in years to come with joy :]

12. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Yeah there were some whole martial art families at my tournament on march 3rd, dad, mom and kids all doing it. So cool :)

I'd never have that with my family though :( i'm the odd ball. :(

13. finite monkey

Still working on the wife.

She did ballet as a kid and still has the balance and flexability..She'd be good at TKD

14. Fish Of Doom

what about chainsaws?

15. Ahhhhh, marrying a dancer... :love:

Best of luck on D-Day :) Enjoy, and tell us what happened, with pics & vids too :)

Osu!

16. finite monkey

She does'nt do chainsaws at all. Nifty with a sewing machine though

Well, just back from training

My uke was very obliging and let me drill away

Practiced koshi guruma(uke resists by leaning back) to osoto gari, down into kesa gatame

Ippon seo nage to osoto gari to kesagatame

Practiced escapes from kesagatame and managed to pop a muscle in my back:bang: (too damn competitive grrr)

felt pretty despondant on the way home. Ice anti inflamitories and a beer have raised my spirits, but I dont know if I will be fit for satuday

Junior sliped and banged her coxis. The quest may be over :[

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  17. Fish Of Doom

ouch! -.-

get well soon!

18. finite monkey

19. finite monkey

So.

We will not fight tomorow.

My daughter does'nt want to go with a sore tail bone, and I dont want to presurize her, and put her off

I am partly relieved as I dont have to risk further injury fighting with a weakened muscle, but am also still unproved

Down €55 for entries

Have to unpack all the gear

Wind down

Crap!

20. Fish Of Doom

more time to train for the next one :)