Flying in movies ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by freespirit, Feb 2, 2004.

?

Who likes it when MAists start flying around in MA movies ?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    81.0%
  3. Not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. freespirit

freespirit spirit of the free

Who likes it when MAists in movies start flying around ?

2. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I voted no but if there is good reason like sci fi - but not in the ordinary world film wise.

3. Adam

Adam New Member

I hate it. Ruins MA movies.

4. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

Yeah, it jus makes a mockery of the skill they are supposed to be demonstrating.

-Qis

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

It takes away all the credibility a ma'tist may have been building up. Then pffffft, he goes flying across a tree top or something, and its gone....

6. Topher

Topher allo!

What do you mean by flying? Like Jackie Chan jumping gates and climbing buildings/jumping from buildings or the old style sword play movies.

7. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

I think he's talking about that crouching tiger hidden dragon type flying in movies. Hmmm, I like it sometimes.....it depends on the movie, and it has to be done at the right time....if ya know what I mean;)

8. Topher

Topher allo!

Right. Well, CTHD wasn't bad. I guess if it isn't too ridicules it's ok.

9. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Looks stupid like the matrix.

10. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Art Camacho is offering a workshop entitled "Wireworks" which is proved to be very successful ...

Anyone can learn to fly ...

Art Camacho's WireWorks

11. Ramda

Ramda Valued Member

It depends on how you view the movie, if its a MA movie you goto then I want to see MA not how to fly. If i view it as a Sc-Fi movie aka: Matrix then its OK.

12. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

I didn't vote because it's so subjective.

Fiction - regardless of medium - sets up its own universe with its own rules. When we choose to watch/read fiction, we choose to accept those rules as fact while we spend time in that universe.

So if a piece of fiction, like the Matrix, has rules for flight in its constitution then that's fine and, within the context of that universe, wholly believable.

When a piece of fiction breaks its own rules, though, then it becomes unbelievable. So, as others have said, if something is set in the "real" world then flying is not believable.

So - from that perspective, I don't like it in my MA movies unless a reason has been laid in the groundwork of the piece (ala Matrix).

But, regarding Kung Fu theater type flicks, I make an exception. For a long time, I didn't like it in them either. Then I heard an interview with Ang Lee about "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon."

He said something to the effect of: "In China, people are so restricted in so many ways in their everyday life that when they go to the movies or read a book they want to be entertained on a wide variety of levels - they want to laughter, tears, fear, excitement, suspense, etc. all rolled into one. And they want to escape, at least in their minds, from the restrictions of their daily life. I think the wire work flying represents this escape. It's also representative of the feeling of escape and release that a person feels when they're expressing themselves in a way they're passionate about - whether its through writing, painting, or martial arts. When they are doing their thing, they are free in a way that they never can be in the rest of their lives - they feel like they're capable of anything. I think the flying in martial arts movies is a graphic representation of that feeling and people can identify with it."

After hearing his take on it, I became a lot more accepting of it. And it broadened my horizons in general. Even though I'm not restricted in my own life, per se, when I go see a movie, I want to be entertained. I want to step away from all the hectic buzz of my life - away from my responsibilities and busy schedule. I want to be entertained for a couple of hours.

So now my attitude is very much one of, "I get enough reality in my life. When I go to the movies or read a book, I'm looking for entertainment not reality." Exceptions to this, of course, are non-fiction pieces. I want those to be "real" - but entertaining is also good.

So it's a fine edge. If a piece of fiction defies its own reality then it loses some of its entertainment appeal to me. But if it's completely "real" then it's not going to seem very entertaining to me.

For me, I can't make any sort of broad categorization. Some movies, I don't mind - or even enjoy - the wire work. Others, it just annoys me.

Mike

13. freespirit

freespirit spirit of the free

very good, thats open my mind up a little aswell pesilat :)

14. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

Freeform...you seen the Japanese movie 'Versus' ?

15. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

My friend told me to watch that movie, but it's not at Blockbuster (he d/led it via Kazaa). He told me that the characters don't even have names, and to cut down on $$, the characters die TWICE. :)

I REALLY want to watch it.

PL

16. Hadouken

Hadouken New Member

I thought that flying in some of the chinese/asain movies (ie crouching tiger) was more like the tall tales of american folk lore.