Flossing your nasal passage?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Hayseed, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

I recently saw a French interview with Bernard Bordas(I'm not posting the link because he's naked in part of it) in which he uses some kind of cordage to literally floss his nasal passage. Where does this come from? Is this just a European thing?

It's at dailymotion.com

2. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Well, I think you may have just won the award for most unusual post at a ninjutsu forum. :) You've totally blown my Martians thread out of the water. :eek:

Congrats!!! :D

3. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

Even moreso because mine is real! Have you watched the vid yet?

4. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Well, I'm not sure if I'm ready to delve into the video yet. It sounds like something that I might not be prepared to visually deal with at the moment, or at any time in the future, due to potential flashback episodes. I'm not sure that even "Gambatte!!" covers this one.... :)

:Angel:

5. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

Maybe Fudoshin then? :D

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  6. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

LOL!!!

Possibly. Then again, though, I'm not sure that I'm ready to take the Zatoichi path just yet.....

:Angel:

7. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

Seriously though, noone's gonna take a crack at this?(no pun intended)

Okay I'll describe it. The video begins with BB getting ready in the morning apparently, he shaves his head, brushes his tongue and then inserts two lengths of some kind of cord in to his nasal passage, and then out his mouth. He then connects the two ends hanging out of his mouth and then pulls the ends hanging out of his nostrils. This pulls the now looped end into his mouth, up through to his nasal passage and then begins to "floss". Afterward, he pours water(I think) through one nostril and out the other half upside-down. He then proceeds to "shower" with a bucket of what appears to be cold water judging from his reaction.

Seriously...I'm not making this up. Has anyone ever heard of this?(flossing nose, not showering :p )

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

It sounds like it's something that's more along the lines of Hindu sadhus or yogis.

They have all manner of these types of stunts. I remember seeing one where a guy would swallow partially a huge length of gauze. It would move down all the way to his stomach etc. while it was still hanging out of his mouth... allegedly to clean out his insides. As it goes with Yogis... soon one has to top the other... so the next one gets a piece of gauze going into his mouth and coming out of his ass etc.

Many of these sorts of rituals have to do with

A) showmanship
    B) different interpretations of cleanliness laws in Hindu scripture
    C) having a ton of free time on your hands as a sadhu or yogi

in the west there are some people who've cadged onto these types practices. Primarily they fall into the following categories:

A) showmanship
    B) people who learn about 'health and fitness' at hokey new age bookshops
    C) people who a ton of free time on their hands

now... that being said... there may be something to some of these practices... but from what I've read on them and seen at an ashram or two in India... I'd say most practices like this are highly suspect.

edit: add to the above list: retarded college kids at drinking parties with condoms

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWgkUmgPJHo"]Mental Floss - YouTube[/ame]

and dorky kids with condoms and webcams:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaWSmlDTAjU&feature=related"]the condom boy - YouTube[/ame]

9. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

After rewatching the clip, I think I was able to pick out the word Buddhist.

I've just never seen someone make that a part of their daily routine.

Appreciate the help. :)

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

No worries... somewhere I have a book in PDF form that was published sometime in the '20s or '30s that covers a lot of the famous yogis and the reasoning behind this sort of cleansing (obviously condoms aren't part of the original act).. but I'll have to dig around on the hard drives to find it.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were some school of aesetic Buddhism that also had some sort of similar practice.

Ah yeah I just watched that clip on DailyMotion... hmm...yeah it appears he's going for the whole Buddhist aesetic angle. Though I'm not sure what school of Buddhism he follows that has nasal flossing. lol.

As is often the case with westerners... they can't just do something and be content with that... they generally have a need to do it and to show the rest of world that they're doing it. Sort of like... look at me... how zen I am.... look how hardcore I am... I've adopted the ways of the far east.

lol... what a maroon.

11. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

I used to know someone who could 'nasal floss' with a condom as a party trick (having previously pulled it over their head to just below the nose and inflated it by breathing in through their mouth and blowing out through their nostrils.