Flexibility

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Falling_link, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Falling_link

Falling_link New Member

I was just wondering the following thing:
    I'm not very flexible with my legs so is Taekwon a good idea, since i've seen some of the kicks and my leg dosent even go that high
    But i suppose if i went they would train me to stretch right?

2. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

i'm sure they would

3. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

Well yes but you can stretch in other ways than joining taekwondo. I don't think joining an art for flexibility is what i would do, instead i would..........stretch. If you are interested in learning stretch technique then I'm sure you can be referred to a good book or even a sports medicine type guy(some kind of physical therapist)

4. stump

stump Supersub

My standard stock answer:

Try and work out what you want out of your training...list them if necessary.

Then work out what art you'd like to try after that.

There's other factors to consider too. Personally It's best to go with the best instructor irrespective of what style they'e teaching

Irrespective of what art you join....most will involce stretching to a greater or lesser extent

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

The owner/instructor of the school that I attend and teach at remarked the other day that he was watching one of our older adult students spar. This particular student was lacking to a certain degree in the heights of his kicks from day 1.... This student did a double roundhouse off the same leg, with second roundhouse reaching head height.
    The instructor was just as surprised as the student was ... seems training and staying relaxed while kicking (especially when sparring) will help with your flexibility.

Good Luck with your training in whatever ma you choose.... and by all means talk with your instructor in the beginning and voice your concerns.
    He/she should be able to offer you suggestions to incorporate into your training while checking on your progress.
    Don't wait though.... begin to stretch now!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2003
  6. Falling_link

Falling_link New Member

Just out of interest, what kind of streches should i do, or is there a good website you can give me a link too?

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

8. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i agree with what KickChick said earlier. talk to ur instructor, and stop just thinking about it. DO SOMETHING!!! start stretching.

9. Holgate

Holgate New Member

With the problems with my back and hips I have very little stretching power to get high kicks (I also find problems with lower kicks like twisting kick as well mind) but I have always found my instructor is more concerned that the technicallitys of the kick are right rather than the height. We do of course do stretching exercises which I follow up with at home and they have no doubt helped as my kicking is higher than a year ago, but for the time being while you are gaining the flexibility to kick higher worry about getting the kicking technique right first, because then the two will come together at the same time.

10. weesal

weesal New Member

I also have a question. I stretch about two times a day and I have been doing that for quite awhile and I can't get my flexibility to get any better. Any ideas?

11. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Some points on that....

Genetics. 99% of humans possess the genetics to be highly flexible.

Knowledge. You have to know how to stretch. Many stretching movements actually tear the muscle fibers that results in tough scar tissue.

Determination. If you want to be flexible, you will be, ...well , provided you work at it.

Time. It takes a very long time to be flexible.

Age is also a factor. Younger bodies are simply more conducive to stretching. However, age does not preclude you from being flexible. Many martial arts masters are flexible well into very old age.

If you find you reach a plateau with your stretching and are not seeing any gains then take a few days off from it. Resume your stretching, and you should break your plateau.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2003
  12. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Good point Deb.

There is a time where you can over do it and then sometimes that can cause your body not to respond. Then sometimes its all in your head. If your doing them right, you might not be able to see everyday that you get more flexable but thats because it comes to you slowly. Its like watching grass grow. If you sit and watch it, it looks like it does nothing but if you leave for a few days or longer and look at it again you can see that it has grown.
    Just stick with it and it will come to you.

13. alcapone

alcapone New Member

After reading up on strectching for many hours (yes sad I know, but I like researching things well!) it seems most professional athletes and coaches agree full stretching every day is not the best way to get results. Having said that, I ignored this advice for a few months!

It actually makes sence though, If you strectch every day, your muscles don't have the opportunity to re-build. Doing serious strectching (i.e. (PNF) resistance stretching etc) does tear your muscles and they must rebuild otherwise they contract and actually shrink! The best thing to do, in my opinion, is full, resistance style (PNF) stretching 3 days a week, with very very light strectching on the other days, just to keep the muscles "memory" set at the extended length, and one day off. This way, your muscles have time to heal, they shouldn't contract due to you "reminding" them how far they can stretch on the in between days.

Try this, it should work. But, it's important to do the PNF stretching correctly, it's dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. And, it's a lot reasier if you have a partner!

(an example of PNF stretching, stand against a wall, back touching, raise leg upwards (as if doing a front kick), get partner to push up until it's uncomfortable, then you try to push your leg down while the parner stops it from actually going down. Repeat this 3 times with a break of 10 seconds in between. (The leg should go slightly higher each time). It may hurt, but it works!!! (DON'T DO THIS EVERY DAY)

Hope this helps.

AL

14. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

If you feel pain, any signs of joint instability, or any unusual pain during or after stretching exercises then they are signs that either you are doing them incorrectly or you are doing way too much.

Check out the thread Most Effective Stretches

this one I Need Help with Flexibility

and also Stretching wherein explains the best stretches to do EVERYDAY!!!!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2003
  15. Falling_link

Falling_link New Member

Another thing i know is that if your muscles get painfull they more or less switch off, this happend to me because of Archery and now i have a slight muscle problem in my right shoulder.

16. Taeho

Taeho New Member

I found a really good e-book on flexability. I have it posted on my TKD website:

http://flexability.taekwondopalace.com

It was written a few years ago Brad Appleton and has help me trmendously with flexability.

Good Luck!

TKDshane Ÿ

17. Taeho

Taeho New Member