Fish's log...

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Fish Of Doom, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

slowly but surely working on my hip mobility by eliminating the classic sitting posture. spent a while in a high horse stance focusing on pelvic tuck (and calf/achilles tendon stretching), and am currently sitting in half-lotus on a cushion, aiming to get the anterior tilt with knees and hip joints at the same height (and with time eventually move into full lotus).

2. Fish Of Doom

today's lifting:

warmed up with bagwork, mostly combos and some low kicks, didn't time it.

upright rows, 5x5 empty oly bar, 5x5 bar + 5 kg

bent over rows, 3x10 empty oly bar, 5x5 bar + 5 kg

romanian deads, 3x5 bar + 5 kg, 5x5 bar + 20 kg

then did a back squat stretch, 20 kilos on the bar, holding the bottom position at the point just before rounding, slowly getting comfortable with the position and letting my hip flexors stretch under load, for 2 sets of 2 reps (not timing the holds, just going by gut instinct).

and finished by grabbing a 15 kilo plate cause i couldn't be arsed to go get a kettlebell, and held the bottom of a pistol until failure, at which point i let myself fall on my bum and repeated with the other leg :p

3. Fish Of Doom

today's stuff:

upright rows:
    4x8 empty oly bar
    2x5 bar + 5 kg (shoulder was bothering me so i quit here. will keep it to low rep sets in the future)

bent over rows
    2x5 with bar + 5 kg as a warmup
    3x10 with bar + 5 kg as a work set

romanian deads
    3x5 with bar + 5 kg as a warmup
    5x5 with bar + 20 kg as a work set

then did my back squat stretch, again with 20 kg on the bar for 2x2, held the bottom of a pistol using a 15 kilo plate as counter-weight, and 2 full pistols each leg with a 10 kg plate, and finished by using the climbing wall (got a bit durther than i did last time too :D ). didn't do any bagwork, though.

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If you're having shoulder problems you should stop doing upright rows. They are one of the main exercises that can aggravate shoulder issues!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  5. Fish Of Doom

i know. that's why i stopped :p

if i replace them, i'll probably replace them with either overhead presses or lateral raises. leaning towards the presses so i can just hog one of the racks and do my entire workout there :p

6. Fish Of Doom

as regarding the problem itself, i might go get my shoulder checked eventually, but i suspect it might be a nerve in my neck that's screwing up my upper arm (old issue i have on both shoulders, and which i suspect is due to neck tightness/imbalances).

7. Frodocious

Well you know me and shoulder issues! Damn them! :bang: Just be careful you don't do too much. My shoulder problem was also aggravated by a neck issue! Watch OHPs because they are not always advisable for people with shoulder problems. You could try doing them with dumbbells and a neutral grip - neutral grip stuff seems to be kinder to my shoulder at the moment - or try doing incline benches instead of full OHPs.

8. Fish Of Doom

cheers, but i don't have a shoulder problem, i have a neck problem that makes my shoulders hurt by referred pain ;) (although i might have a slightly screwy right shoulder, it has never bothered me with overhead lifting)

9. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Double check your form on upright rows, these can kill your shoulders:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/BBUprightRow.html

10. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Agreed. I've found though if you open your grip to more of a shoulder width grip and limit the ROM, you can still do an effective U.R without causing shoulder pain. What seems to get a lot of folks is pulling up through that point at which your upper arms are parallel to the floor. Stopping short of that still provides a strong contraction, activates a lot of the shoulder girdle without causing pain or further injuries.

Most important tip for uprights though is focus on the movement starting at the elbows, not the hands. Doing that really helps keep the elbows up higher than the wrists.

11. Fish Of Doom

yeah, going by that exrx thing, i tihnk the narrow grip might have been the issue. will check next session. a narrow grip would bring the elbows forwards because my ribcage gets in the way of me puilling my elbows in opposite directions. with a shoulder width grip i think i can get get them almost on the same line as my shoulders.

12. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I would lay off of them and let your rotator cuff heal up a bit. You may even just want to take a week off from all upper body stuff to let it heal up a bit.

13. Fish Of Doom

i'm not injured... my rotator cuff didn't even come into the picture, i just had pain at the front my glenohumeral joint (under the ant. deltoid).

14. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I doubt your form on the upright row would cause you pain in that spot. As bad form may cause an impingement in the rotator cuff, but shouldn't cause anything in that area. If you are actually impinging, it could be referred pain from that. If not, it may be an issue with your deltoid (trigger point, etc) or nothing but one of those random pains you get every so often when lifting. From what you say, it doesn't sound like it is the joint itself. So the obvious thing is probably what you were going to do which was take it a bit easy next time and see what happens.

Funny, I have been nursing pain in that exact spot. It is an overuse injury from doing a lot of high speed jodan-ukes. From palpating the area, it was obviously a muscular issue (hard painful spots) and since I ramped up my barbell press, it seems to finally be getting better.

15. Fish Of Doom

yup, as i said, i suspect it's part of my ongoing suspected nerve issue. it affect both arms, but both of my shoulders are wildly different in mobility (left was always a bit more mobile, and on top of that i subluxed it a few years back, although it's been almost 100% stable for quite a while now). i actually regularly make my anterior deltoids twitch violently via massage, and the right one has a lot of issues with referred pain and bundles of excessively tight fibers (i suspect my own issue is more from tsuki and pushups with improper hikite).

16. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Sounds like you have trigger point issues. Ironically, the best thing usually for your issues is probably weight training. I am not a doctor, but this has been my personal experience. It may make sense for you to see a physiatrist if you haven't already. If you don't know what they are, they are doctors (MD) of physical medicine. They are basically the type of physician a physical therapist would be directed by. IMO, they are better suited than an orthopedic surgeon for this kind of issue. They would be the first to refer you to a surgeon if need be.

I had very similar issues in my back. I needed to stop everything, get some physical therapy (which was basically some electric stim, massage and stretching and strengthening.) The muscles were inflamed and needed to be treated like this. Any kind of fast violent movement was too much for them. Once I got to a point, I started to weight train again and that really made things 1,000 times better.

17. Fish Of Doom

sooooo... parkour today. bunch of jumping and running around, bit of climbing, and making a bit of progress on my handstand.

18. Fish Of Doom

wheee, DOMS!

i'm pretty sure i'll be able to press into a handstand within a month from now, IF i keep up training it.

19. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Me and my buddy will keep you motivated.

*ooooominous huuuuum*

20. Frodocious

Dons Indiana Jones hat and curls bullwhip in readiness... :yeleyes: