Fish's log...

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Fish Of Doom, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

LOL I think thats a fair estimate! :D

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

*rubs against mikey's ankle to see if that gives me extra muscle*

3. Fish Of Doom

just did 40 push ups. better than i expected considering that i haven't done endurance training in ages.

decided to start doing random calisthenics as much as possible, just to keep off my ass. let's see how long i can keep it going :D

4. Fish Of Doom

ok, now doing sorta random sets of 10 pushups, just did one of 10 lunges each side. starting tomorrow i'll use my egg timer to do one set every 15 or 20 minutes. or an online clock if the egg timer proves to be too noisy (not getting kicked out > fitness :p)

5. Fish Of Doom

first pushups and lunges set of the day done. gonna start doing them at 15 minute intervals, switching to 20 if 15 proves unreasonable.

interestingly the lunges, which i hadn't done in ages, appear to be stretching out my quads quite nicely.

6. Fish Of Doom

leg day likely to be postponed by one day. went overboard with the lunges yesterday and my adductors are vehemently disagreeing. will probably go do some bagwork in the afternoon though.

7. Fish Of Doom

ok, leg day today. due to lack of foresight i borked up my attempts at warmup sets, but overall it went a bit better than the arm day, the next instance of which should in theory be tomorrow.

started with bagwork. did 15 minutes. 30 reps each side of jab, cross, jab-cross, jab-cross-hook, jab-cross-hook-uppercut (which i'll drop as it's impractical on the available bags), low roundhouse and jab-cross-low roundhouse.

then did some dumbbell sumo squats to warm up a bit, doing 1x10 with 12.5 kilos and 1x10 and 1x5 with 17.5 kilos. moved on to back squat, starting with 1x10 with the empty bar, then screwed up and loaded 20 extra kilos (should have used only 5 or 10 for warmup), did 1x10, and then went for the work sets with 50 and did 3x5 (next one i'll aim for 5x5 or 3x10 WITHOUT stupidly unplanned warm-up sets).
    after that i did romanian deadlifts, which went a bit better (yay standing on platforms!). 10 reps empty bar, 10 reps 30 kg (empty bar + 10), 3x5 40 kg. next one i'll see about using 25 for the second warm up set and again going either for 3x10 or for 5x5.

finished with 5x5 hanging knee raises and 3x10 decline crunches.

lessons learned: plan the fricking warm-up, and hoard plates and bar collars before i start lifting.

8. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Nice to see how your training is going, FOD.

Btw, I really like the glasses in your avatar. I haven't had round rimmed sunglasses since my late teens. Might have to do it again.

paz,

dormindo

9. Osu Fish,

What are your training goals? :)

Osu!

10. Fish Of Doom

balancing out my body (weak middle back, weak hamstrings, weak glutes, overused anterior deltoids, short hip flexors, weak abs), and then getting some size (particularly in my deltoids) and afterwards getting a bit more defined (don't really mind if it's through size gain or fat loss, obviously would prefer both :p).

as an update, ow. abs and hamstrings are shot, so i won't lift or do bagwork today (in fact i overslept just to get a little bit of extra recovery in). might do occasional sets of lunges (i'm thinking 5 reps every half hour or so) to keep the legs active and with good circulation. strongly suspecting i'll still be sore on the weekend too. i need an extra day in the week.

11. Osu,

Thanks.
    May I suggest emphasis on rest, recovery and what works well...
    Beating yourself up won't help you much. ;)

Osu1

12. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

My fear is that with all these random sets of pushups and lunges you're doing you're not actually giving your body any devoted rest periods. As sore as you are my 2 cents is do nothing. let your body heal and replenish. Remember these workouts are a bit more structured than what you're used to so let your body do what it needs to. No one ever restructured their body in a week so whats the rush?

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I agree with Mikey. I'm not a fan of adding in huge amounts of random sets all over the place. If you want to do more during the day, build it up gradually, the same way you would do with any structured program. For example the first week do one set of 10 a day, the second week 2 sets etc.

14. Fish Of Doom

ok, since i am STILL sore from tuesday's workout (abs and hamstrings, mainly), i've not been working much except my masseter muscles (ok, i also occasionally shadowbox a little). will likely give parkour a miss tomorrow (i've also got a cold, bad sinuses and will probably get a fever eventually if i'm not careful, so it won't do to start spreading the plague through oslo anyway :( ), but depending on my soreness state i might throw in some light calisthenics or stretching, probably some handstand work, see if i finally get the bloody thing, and will see about doing the arm workout either on sunday or on monday, and the leg day immediately afterwards (so monday or tuesday). also found out that the parkour guys DO meet up on days other than saturday (only took me what, two months to ask? *facepalm*), so i might be able to start scheduling stuff better without having to add an extra day to the week.

so yeah, i've been unproductive :D

15. Fish Of Doom

just did some light arm mobility drills, trying to get my forearms and shoulders to loosen up, and will do some isometrics for my biceps, coracobrachialis, anterior delts and other assorted uncooperative muscles in a bit.

16. Osu Fish,

How are you doing on your ....mmmm.... errr..... "recession"? :)

Osu!

PS: Like Bernanke, I did not want to use the "D" word. :D

17. Fish Of Doom

pretty good. it was actually back under control by the time i made the thread, which was spurred by a momentary and quite unpleasant lapse. the purpose of that thread was to help get me off my ass so that it did not happen again. so far, i appear to be succeeding, and i am getting better at identifying when a lapse is possible so that i can then avoid it. cheers for asking :)

18. Fish Of Doom

ok, i've missed the gym sessions for reasons that are neither here nor there, for which i'm annoyed as hell, so i said screw it and decided to do some bodyweight stuff a while ago, some of which i also failed at (although to be fair i didn't warm up), so now i'm extra annoyed at myself. i'm letting my physique go, and this will NOT do.

wanted to do 3x10 one armed pushups, but my abs and hip flexors decided to rebel, ended up doing 3x8 before i tore something. in between sets, grabbed my 2 bicycle inner tubes and managed to jury-rig some light bent over rows with them, will see tomorrow if they were any good.

then tried doing pistols and my legs just turned into jell-o. barely got 5 on my right leg, and when i tried doing them on my left, my right quad almost cramped on the third one, making me bail and rest, after which i got the third rep and my leg went numb in the middle of the fourth one.

this is not going to work ¬_¬

i'm considering cutting the gym sessions to one a week to work on my pulling (romanian deads, upright rows and bent over rows. might throw in sumo deads, but not sure whether to do them before or after the RDs), and doing heavy bodyweight pushing at home (OAPs and pistols). the pistols thing i think was just that i stopped doing them, so i'll pick a day or two when i just stay at home and do one every half hour, and see what happens. don't know what to do with the pushups though. what failed me today was mainly my hip flexors, which was weird. i'm thinking either they got massively weaker and/or tighter, or the lack of warmup did me in.

any thoughts? suggestions on how to fit the pushups in? bear in mind i also have parkour on saturdays (one of the reasons i'll cut back from the gym, as i didn't go on saturday because i was still sore from working out on tuesday).

19. Fish Of Doom

just had a random bout of krotty and did 50 reps each side of tsuki, age uke, gedan barai, yoko uke, uchi uke, shuto uke, teisho uchi and inwards shuto uke. need to do this more often. also need to do kicks.

20. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I've been thinking about your issues above. Maybe you should treat Parkour as a kind of explosive lifting day. So plan to do 3 days of strength training per week, either 2 full body gym days and Parkour or a push day, a pull day and Parkour. You could then do conditioning work on 3 other days and have 1 day off (either Friday - before Parkour, or Sunday - after Parkour).

So your schedule would be something like this.

Saturday - Parkour
    Sunday - Conditioning
    Monday - Strength
    Tuesday - Conditioning
    Wednesday - Strength
    Thursday - Conditioning
    Friday - Day off

Saturday - Parkour
    Sunday - Day off
    Monday - Conditioning
    Tuesday - Strength
    Wednesday - Conditioning
    Thursday - Strength
    Friday - Conditioning

On conditioning days do MA training or cardio work but not so much strength work (e.g. pistols). If you want to do random sets of pushups etc, add them gradually rather than 10 sets on the first day.