First time sparring ... I was terrible

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by u6s68, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Thank you... this is really the only point I was attempting to make.

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Thank you for the kind words Simon.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Such a quote!

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Eh? I was just asking you not to swear!

I always try and write as if kids were reading, as often on map there is.

5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

And knowing this ^ often as not, requires a few "lessons" in itself. Those experiencing beat downs in one form or another early on learn it faster.

But its easy to fall into that thinking. Even decrepit old geezers have left-over remnants of an ego that still demand feeding. ;)

6. Saved_in_Blood

I very well understand the difference in improving in sparring and "winning". I said that one who was a beginner who started to get the better of his sparring partner might feel like he "won" that particular time. I don't think that he/she is wrong for feeling that way. If you went 4 or 5 rounds and were sparring pretty heavily, what's wrong with one partner saying "yeah, you won that one... you got me there" ? I'm not talking about jumping for joy and crying because he/she did well and "beat" their sparring partner. If someone claimed that then I would correct them as well. There's a lot of "fights" that look like glorified sparring sessions as it is.

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I always 10/9 my sparring rounds.

8. Unreal Combat

No you don't, and my last statement made it abundantly clear why.

A beginner, especially one who's trained just three times, shouldn't be sparring heavy, or be worrying about scoring themself. They should be focusing on learning how to use the techniques they've been shown in a live environment without having to worry about being better than the other fighter. It doesn't matter how it looks, sparring isn't a fight. If you've ever fought competitively you would know this and understand how different the two are. So far your words tell me you've never competed in a full contact art.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  9. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Not read all the thread so sorry if I'm repeating some points.

Don't go too hard on your opponent, the experienced guys shouldn't hit you back too hard anyway but you start swinging for the hills then someone will land a tasty one on you to put you back in your place. Plus you'll burn energy too much.

Don't lean over your front foot too much, beginners have a habit of turning their face whilst throwing a punch when they are hunched over. Seen a lot when throwing the jab.

Another one that was common when beginning, closing your eyes whilst throwing a punch or a prolonged blink. You're gonna get punched in the head, you will learn to accept it. Just try and control the closing of the eyes.

And a few little points, most of the others have probably been pointed out. Most importantly though, relax and enjoy it :)

10. belltoller

Pro's are said to have fights, amateurs have boxing matches or bouts.

I know semantic drift applies here, but going back to 'Pro' vs 'amateur' terminology, whenever I think of the term amateur boxer (BABA, ABAE, forget what it is in the States) there comes to mind someone of a higher calibre of athlete than what one often finds in the pro's. I think someone already pointed out, the difference between 'pro' and 'amateur' is that the professional receives payment.

There are also a few other differences. Rules and Regulations of course, but when I think of 'amateur boxing' I think of intense, non-stop action by combatants in superb condition.

Not always the case with pro's.

11. Saved_in_Blood

No I don't? How exactly do you know what fights I've had? You don't, thank you.

12. Unreal Combat

Please, share with us your experiences in full contact competition. Would love to see some videos too.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  13. Saved_in_Blood

I'm talking about attacks where my life was at risk. I'm not talking about rules based, I also don't like talking about some things for multiple reasons. It's caused me a lot of issues in my life. I just don't care to be talked down to is what I am saying.

14. Unreal Combat

What fights you have had on the street has absolutely no relevance here. If we really wanted to go down that route then there's many members here who would delve into their extensive military, security or police backgrounds to give fight/defence advice, me being one of them. We're talking about sparring and competition fighting. Not your average street brawl or gang fight, or whatever else you may have gotten involved in on the street. The scenarios are so vastly different trying to compare the two is completely pointless and a waste of time.

To be quite frank I am not interested in your street experience, if I was I would have asked about it, I am interested in your competitive ring experience. Why? Because it is relevant to the topic at hand and because you're kicking up a fuss about being called out on it. Seems you still have not shared your competitive experience with us I can only assume I am correct until you show otherwise, of which so far you haven't really been very willing to do.

So I will ask again. What is your competitive experience and do you have any videos of your competitive fights to share? Fights or no fights, win or lose, there's no shame. I am absolutely not interested in hearing about anything else so don't bother posting about it. Just be honest about what you have actually done competitively instead of beating around the bush and not giving people straight answers. You'll probably learn more that way.

15. Saved_in_Blood

In the ring? None... I will also not ask you to stop talking down to me again. I can be a beginner, but the video you posted no long ago was you in the ring with your own hands down. Even I know better than that. So what's your excuses o superior one? I'm quite tired of all of the know it all nonsense that some of you are spouting off actually. You're the big bad ring warrior, so since I had spoken about professional ring experience, why don't you tell us about all of yours. Are you now an expert? Why is this in a boxing forum anyway? You hardly ever even post about boxing that I've seen... why don't you just stay in the thai area with all of your infinite knowledge?

Mods, sorry if this is out of line for you, but ban or no ban I will NOT be talked down to by anyone... I don't care how much experience they have. Do what you will.

16. Heikki Mustola

Heikki Mustola Valued Member

I have yet to seen anyone shine at the first sparring... And after 3 classes? Thats quite soon too. It gets time to get better.

Or if you are me, it gets tons of time and you still stay at the same low level.

But probably not. No, you will get better - give it time though, be patient and watch/listen closely to the instructor. If there is something bothering you about certain technique or anything, ask. It's important to fix steps rather than repeating them too often. Then you might get accustomed to wrong technique too much and it will be harder to fix.

Sorry, dont really have anything new to say to this thread.

17. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Seriously dude calm down. Your getting all worked up over someones right to an opinion. Sometimes arguing for the sake of arguing isn't the way to go.

UC has enough ring exposure to be able to voice his opinion. I have never once seen him claim to be a ring warrior but i have seen him take critiscism and direction from others here on MAP when posting his videos.

There is no need to take things so personally.

Baza

18. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Saved, any arms you use to block punches are arms that are not available to punch back. This is why lots of time at high level fighters won't have their hands glued to their temples but defend with movement and positioning, keeping their hands in a position where a punch will be harder to see coming or slip through a gap more easily.

Beginners are told "hands up" all the time not because it's an absolute injunction, but because people otherwise tend to keep them low for no reason.

19. Unreal Combat

Thank you for your honesty.

I am talking down to you? Sorry. I didn't realise asking someone a direct question, or just saying things how I see them (which have been proven to be true by your own admission) is talking down to them. It is better to know and understand what someone has actually done when having a conversation with them, no?

Sure, you can be a beginner. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

I've been caught with my hands down on occasion. I can put my hands up freely and say it happens. I can show you videos of professional Thai fighters it happens to as well (and have done so before). Just because it's important to keep your guard up, and just because we know to keep our guard up as it's drilled into our heads over and over again by our coaches, it doesn't mean it's something we do 100% of the time and that can happen for numerous reasons, be it nerves, relaxing, tiredness, inexperience, set ups, or attempting to draw a fighter in for a counter attack (great against southpaws).

And what nonsense would that be then? Enlighten us. Most of us here speak from our own experiences.

I am a competitive fighter.

Why are you posting about professional ring experience when you have never fought, period? No point in trying to play the amateur/professional ring experience card. It can easily backfire on you.

I'll straight up say it how it is. I'm not a professional fighter, as of yet, though I am working my way up the ladder toward my first fully professional fight and I am also looking to challenge for a title within a few fights (providing I can get the wins). I don't need to be a professional to tell someone what the difference is between sparring and fighting in the ring. I'm not an armchair warrior. I've put the time and training in and I have fought, competently, at a level that a lot of people here will understand. You want to know the real difference between professional and amateur fighters? A paycheck. You think amateur fights are any easier? I can name professional fighters whom I know personally who have stated that their amateur fights have been some of the toughest they have experienced in their lives. I've, personally, had No Decision fights that have been harder than my Decision fights.

But in regards to my experience. I've trained in Shotokan Karate for one year, Wushu for one year when I lived in Guangdong, China (taught by my father in law), Bujinkan Ninjutsu for six years, at two hours a week, Full Contact K1 Rules Kickboxing for two years, of which I trained for six hours a week, Muay Thai for one year of which I train sixteen hours a week, and Boxing on and off over the years, of which I currently train one hour a week to supplement my Muay Thai training. I spar in pretty much most sessions I participate in nowadays against a range of fighters from amateur to professional. I've had one Boxing No Decision Interlcub fight, one Kickboxing No Decision Interclub fight, six Muay Thai No Decision Interclub fights (three of which may as well of have been Full Decision N-Class fights) and one N-Class rules Muay Thai fight against the current WRSA K-1 Rules Middleweight Champion (Brandon Barnett) whom I beat by unanimous decision, with another Full Decision fight in September and two No Decision Interclub fights planned inbetween upcoming, as I am an active fighter. On top of that I have taught classes at two of my past clubs, including my current club, and also teach privately. I have also had the pleasure to step into the ring and spar with the likes of Christian Di Paolo, whom is also a pretty close friend of mine.

Satisfied? Probably not. You will likely find something to try and pick a hole in but it doesn't matter. It isn't about who is or isn't better. It's about putting across the right information to someone who is need of the right direction. Something I am in a fair position to do because of my experiences in the ring. I hide behind nothing. I am what I am. I accept criticism as it is and I work towards improving myself as a competitive fighter and an experienced martial artist. Instead of trying to argue until your blue in the face because you feel you have some unfathomed point and want to sit on it, despite your obvious lack of experience in what you are actually talking about (of which I was experienced enough to see you lacked that experience), maybe you should just listen.

As the old saying goes... "It's better to keep quiet and just allow people to think you're a fool rather than open your mouth and remove all doubt."

I've got enough experience to be able to form a knowledgeable and weighted opinion on the subject matter. There's a few people who have viewed, or commented in, this thread with vastly more experience than I have accrued. I don't see them in a hurry to correct me.

The real question you should be asking is are you an expert? What experience, on the subject in particular, do you actually bring to the discussion?

Maybe because the OP trains in Boxing? Just a guess...

I also Box and Kick Box. So why should I stay in just the Thai Boxing forum? I know the fundamentals of sparring having sparred in full contact clubs for three years, and I know the fundamentals of fighting competitively as I have gotten in the ring and fought competitively. Why should I restrict my experiences to just one forum? There are some things you learn that are universally applied to other arts.

You really should practice what you preach. You complain about people talking down to you but then proceed to talk down to others yourself because they disagree with your opinion and say things exactly how they see them, which are also true.

Stop being such a drama queen, getting worked up over nothing, and just chill out.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  20. belltoller

You lived in Guangdong province?!? :wow:

How familiar are you with the old colonial district in Guangzhou? Liwan? The last time I was there...14 15 yrs ago