First sparring session=dissapointment

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by tonyv107, Mar 11, 2011.

1. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Just a little background. I have spent most of my MA career doing Kodenkan Ju Jitsi while mixing in some sport Ju Jitsu and Judo as well. I have been thrown and had the wind knocked out of me, and spent time point sparring for sport JJ. I wasn't a fan if it because it wasn't full contact, but I did fairly well working my kicks at range and makin the transition to Grip fighting/throws.

I wanted to learn some solid striking so I've been doing Muay Thai for awhile now and tonight I just had my first sparring session. I was expecting to get hit, because I know I am a noob and don't stand a chance vs the more experienced fighters. Working at range I am pretty good getting in and out of range but it is when I'm close range that I got owned hard.

My jabs were slow and got countered with either a cross or roundhouse to my lead leg ( I have the welts to show it ). Ok so I need to be quicker with my jab and stay light on my fight to check the kick or avoid it.

I found that if I'm caught in a combination I'd get into a sort of "panic" mode. I wasn't afraid, nor was the adrenaline pumping. I just kinda flail my arms in an attempt to block or dodge the punches. In turn this makes it easier for me to be hit.

I got hit with several 4-5 punch combos, all leaving me dazed like I was to slow to fight back. Being a sparring session we obviously aren't going for the KO but I was caught( several times) in a position that in a match I would have been KOed easily.

I am severlt disappointed with my performance, maybe I'm too hard on myself since it was technically my first full contact session. I don't want to rush it or set my goals to high to soon, so what shoul I aim for the next session? Thanks guys.

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Keep trying to overcome one of those weaknesses, then once that one's conquered work on the next. It all takes time and getting comfortable with it.

3. newy085

newy085 Valued Member

Don't beat yourself up about it, let the others do that :) I think the hardest thing about sparring is learning not to win but the learn. Instead of getting down on yourself for getting hit, or for flailing your arms; look at what your doing and try to do it better next time. If you can fix one thing each night it won't take long before you will be at a point where you are able to perform at a decent level.

Also, take a moment to step back and look at what people are doing around you, and try to put that into what you know about yourself. Watch how other people deal with the things you can't and try to emulate them. Don't get down on yourself, it was your first time sparring in a different way, vs people fighting in a way you haven't had much of a chance to understand, with time you will feel comfortable (well as comfortable as you can feel with people throwing hands, feet and everything else at you).

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

No one is ever "born" with a ability to do something well. It takes practice, and practice equals time. Allow yourself time to improve.

5. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Thanks guys. Again as I said before I'm not getting the nerves and I'm not scared of getting hit it's just that my current reflexes are terrible. I see a jab or cross coming
    and by reflex I try to either move my head or block with my arm. I realize leaves me open to the next punch in the combo, and that's why I kept getting caught.

While I am ****ed at my poor performance it has definitely given me more inspiration to train harder.

6. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

Bro not everyone do sparring. So that you do sparring is just positive. In the start it is always different to find distance. And learn to use foot work and your brain together. Just try to relax and let them guys you are sparring with. Know that you are a noob and wants to do light sparring. If you feel it's to rough. Then you just let them know. Not be scared to lose face in the gym. Because you are not ;)

Lets talk about Muay Thai. Now we have to think about. High and low kicks,knees,punches,elbows and clinching. Know we not use elbows in sparring. But again its many things to think about. Try look your sparring partner in the chest. This way you can easy see what is coming and not. We never just kick. But we always set things up. So you can make a opening for the kick or a punch.

It is normal to be like this in the start. Just have your eyes open. And not close them when someone punch or kick you. The pain is the same and you only lose contact with your sparring partner.

Try work on some drills in steed. Like 1,2,3 combos. Jab,punch and a kick to the mid section or a low kick. After you back out. And work your way in again. And when you back out. Never go straight back. Try to cut of your sparring partner. And step to the right or left in steed. This way you will not get counter punched or kicked so easy on your way out.

I not know if you like bag workouts ??

Bag workouts is very good training. The same with shadow boxing. Not just throw allot crazy combos out there. But think of the bag as your enemy. And pretend that the bag hits back. Again 1,2,3 combos like front kick,front kick and knee. And work your way out. I love to use front kick and when the bag swings back. Do i step forward with a knee or a elbow. It's 100 combination's to train or work with. So i will stop now ;)

Good luck bro. The key is to relax and use your brain. A skilled fighter not only throw power kicks or punches. But him looking for openings. And if there are non believe me. him will make one.

Good luck from Thailand...

7. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Thanks Chang. I have devoted more time to MT now to work on my striking. I spend 10 minutes everyday shadowboxing working on my footwork and finding what combinations im comfortable with. I have a heavy bag that i work on as well.

I do have to work on staying focused and relaxed, im quite used to viewing the opponents chest, since it makes it easier to see their hip and foot movement. Next session i will work on throwing combinations and to keep moving. I do have a good teep kick so ill work on using that to maintain distance before and after throwing a combination.

8. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

Remember to never use the ''teep'' front kick if you are not in range. I do use the teep alot my self. And distance and timing is very important.

Thai fighters almost step in every techniques them do. And this way you can easy see what is coming. Lets talk about the thai round kick high or low. Them will 90% of the time make the step to the side. This is when you should use the teep. Or quickly move forward and push him away with your hand. And counter with a kick your self. This is a perfect way to create distance and protect your self. Or block the kick.

And if the situation gets to intense. You go right in to clinch. From here you have many options. You can do knees,elbows or just control the other guy. Or just hold on and wait for the ref to split you up !!

9. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

I added a new training video clip. From me doing some bag work. Remember i am just a average guy. So nothing special at all. Just posted for the fun of it. And maybe you get some inspiration..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b17KEZrSVwI"]YouTube - Muay Thai Bag Work[/ame]

10. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Nice work on the bag brother.

Can I ask what weight you are? and what nationality? Ill guess your from Holland?:)

11. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Can I ask what weight you are? and what nationality? Ill guess your from Holland?:)

12. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

13. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

I am 90 kilos bro. I am just a average guy. But try to do my best in the gym. I am 31 years old now. And starting to feel stiff !! I have not been training for long time. Give me 2-3 more months and i will step things up ;)

No i am not from Holland. I am from east Europe !!

14. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Thanks for the reply brother.

I know what you mean about starting to feel stiff!.

Good luck with your training:)

15. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

Thanks for your support. But lets get back to topic :hat:

16. IanK

IanK Valued Member

It's just playing about with your mates and thats the best way to approach it imo, noone's going to 'hurt' you, just be relaxed and let it flow, and dont be tense it wastes energy :)

17. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

Everyone sucks at sparring at first. It's very unnatural to stand in front of somone calmly and punch and kick each other.

The first hard part is getting used to getting hit in the face and not looking away or covering up or flailing. After you get that under control (it takes time) you need to start sparring intelligently and start working on specific aspects of your game while sparring.

A drill to get used to getting hit.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Kqx2kdjIY"]YouTube - Drill for Skill - Cornerman Drill[/ame]

I have a friend who got his mum to punch him in the face lightly with boxing gloves on when he was a kid so he got used to getting punched.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  18. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Lol. As a child I was probably every parents nightmare. My mum made a habit out of spanking me with te nearest possible item, newspaper, magazine, slippers, etc. I made a habit of dodging the attacks lol.

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

late to this and some great advice already..........

reaching to block when getting hit is a classic beginner problem, get used to always having at least one hand on your chin at all times, and try to use a high tight guard to absorb the punches and footwork to get out of trouble, slipping and riding punches takes years to learn so dont expect it to come natuarally to you first time out.

when shadow boxing always keep one hand on your chin, imagine your hands are on a piece of elastic as one hand oge out the other comes to the chin not matter how many punches you throw

finally in close fighting is the hardest part of fighting to master so take it slow and enjoy it :D

20. ShouBox

ShouBox Valued Member

Martial arts is for weak people that want to become strong.