First Loss

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pretty In Pink, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I knew I had to make this thread eventually.

So I lost for the first time in an MMA match.

Lost my contact lens in the first ten seconds and was fighting half blind. Should have called an eye poke but I continued on. We clinched, I was landing punches, I go for a throw, he reverses, gets side control, I get guard right back. Pretty much straight away I could tell I was the better grappler. I had his arm in a kimura, but for some reason I didn't feel strong enough to catch it, so I go for a back sweep, get it, land in mount. land some good Gn'P, take his back, fail to get choke, back to mount, back to his back, don't lock the choke up, switch to an arm bar, he defends, ten second warning goes I extend the arm and...... Bell rings. He was saved.

Second round, he comes out with pure energy that I wasn't prepared for, he body locks me, jumps up on my back and long story short he gets the choke.

I learned a lot from my experience, mostly that I don't want it to happen ever again. I feel I need to dedicate more time to lifting weights and getting more pad work in, because I'm working 40 hours a week it's pretty crap. I can't wait to get back to John Lewis and start lifting weights. After the next two fights I plan on gaining A LOT of muscle, as I'm sick of being so skinny. Move up a weight class probably, maybe two if I push it. Fish says a kilo a month would be ideal, I'd have about 6 months off at least, so yeah.....

Anyway, lessons have been learned, I'll post the video sometime in the future.

TL;DR: Lost because of the curse of Fish.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Its all a learning experience bro - you still did what most people just dont have the courage to do

Well done on your continuing career and journey

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

*laughs maniacally*

also, i was convinced you were going to break the guy's arm :p.

4. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

You fight with contacts in? :eek: I wouldn't have the nerve to do that in a full contact event. You're braver than I sir, and I applaud you. :)

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

And that's why I don't fight with contacts :p

Sounds like you dominated the first and then got caught out by someone bum rushing. It happens man. Ammy for you ;)

6. Fish Of Doom

also, you can gain more than a kilo a month but you'll get more fat along with it (and progressively proportionately more fat the more total weight you gain). you can go for trying to gain as lean as possible, or you can go for broke a bit more and then cut (plus you're super lean already so you probably won't become a fatass like me anyway :p). i gained 10kg on my first year or lifting, but i was training and eating like a total derp. if you do things optimally you can probably put on a fair amount in those 6 months.

7. Pretty In Pink

Did you see the first round on my Facebook? IT WAS GREAT!

8. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Hey Chadderz you know what they say, win some lose some but I think what makes you a good martial artist is you always use the "lose some" as material to get more "win some".

Onward and upward, brother!

9. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

LOSER!

Is probably what you'd expect me to write, but I wouldn't worry about it if I was you. If you didn't get injured and learned from it, your ego will probably heal itself pretty quickly. I lost my first fight(by decision) that allowed groundfighting because he outperformed me on the mat. I learned a lot, and once my arm healed, I wasn't any worse off for it. You only lose when you stop learning and growing so don't sweat it.

10. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Dude I'm jealous that you have the guts to even get into the ring, I'm too terrified of getting grounded and pounded!

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Tough going, losses are always hard but already you know that this will make you stronger.

Keep us updated on your next venture!

12. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

As already mentioned at least you have the courage and fortitude to get in the cage to test yourself, almost all of us lose at some point and you will only improve because of it. After losing my last kyokushin bout to a much larger opponent I have found myself constantly mentally going through the fight and looking where I could of improved my performance and you will do the same. All part of the forging process.

Sorry about the wall of text, hate writing on Map on my Windows phone.....

13. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

You're a disgrace to the Shaolin temple!!

A loss is never a loss, if you learn from it :)

14. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

As others have stated; a good martial artist will learn more from a loss then from victory. You have walked away without sustaining a major injury and you are already diagnosing the fight. You see holes and areas you want/need to improve and you're willing to make changes. Great job! I always saw tournaments, sparring sessions, and the like as testing myself. I was never interested in being a professional so, again, congratulations. Keep training against people who push you, who can beat you, but who can help improve your game.

Keep training and improving!

15. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

... what is it with Fish and eyes anyway? :confused:

16. Fish Of Doom

well, i gotta keep my stockpile full. if i didn't have any, i'd just be a fsh.

17. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Saying that I shoulda seen it coming is only going to make it worse, is it?

18. Pretty In Pink

Video warning: Strongly recommended to watch with sound off.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z552IBTNBY"]IMG 0284 - YouTube[/ame]

19. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Chadderz, I am glad to see that you are approaching your loss with a good attitude. I have no doubts you will learn from this and come back a stronger fighter!

I know this loss must be hard emotionally. The fact that it took awhile to post about it confirms this. So I hope you are dealing with this ok.

Is that the first round of your fight above? Sorry, but which person are you? The one in the blue shorts or the black ones? I am thinking you had the blue shorts?

Lol! I was like "why should I keept the sound off?" I should have listened to you!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  20. Pretty In Pink

Yeah. I'm the blue shorts (the tall one). I'll post the second round tomorrow.