finding ur chi?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by liamcooke18, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liamcooke18

liamcooke18 New Member

hey evry1

i just joined the sight today & people r very helpful!!
    anyway i joined tai chi 4 weeks ago i find tiz pretty relaxing.
    Cud any1 tell me a few of the things tai chi has done for them

............................Oh ya, ive often heard of Martial artists like Bruce Lee finding there Chi! or people trying to find it. cud any 1 tell me what that is?

2. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

If your not using a mobile would you mind writing in English rather than texting? I'm sure people will be happy to assist you in your enquiries.

3. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Quote from Liam Cooke...

Ahhh English, you do know it... nearly. Burn your bridges kid, it's your experience.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  4. Shade

Shade New Member

Dear dear liam,

I am about to commence my own journey with Tai Chi this very weekend, and am confident that amongst other things I too will find it aids me in creating not just a relaxed state of mind, but also a sense of wellbeing, peace and inner calm.

You really will find much useful information on this and other sites/forums regarding not just Tai Chi but the many faceted world, neh universe, that is the internal arts.

One very little piece of advice that I would impart upon you if I may though, is that although people such as my friend Syd here may not be (and certainly do not profess to be) a world authority on the internal arts, they most certainly DO have a wealth of information to share with those who are polite enough, and dare I say erudite enough to seek such knowledge and wisdom in a socially acceptable manner.

In other words, my young friend, you are on the verge of your 18th birthday, a time of joy and celebration. Comments such as "now **** off" will not endear you to the hearts and minds of your fellow internal arts practitioners.

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Finding your chi? Try looking behind your settee cushions, that's where I always find it.

6. Shade

Shade New Member

If its behind your settee cushions, you must mean your chiwawa :D

7. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Chi is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you might get

8. moondog

moondog ch'en fake wannabe

hey shade you didn't mention you were the poet type... should've met you a few years earlier.. could've asked you to do my english homework! joke :)

9. marais

marais New Member

dear liam
    what did syd ever do to you?
    i suggest if you want to find your chi,you start by calming down.
    tai chi is most probably the one the most complex MA's to grasp because you must always think outside of the box.and a calm spirit and soul is needed for this.
    with the aggresion that you are showing at the moment i suggest you take up something like thai boxing.

just a thaught.....use it .....dont use it .......up to you

10. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Actually my chi was much more gerbillish, it burrowed into the settee, died, and started to make a terrible smell. Eventually we burned the whole thing.

11. Shade

Shade New Member

Thanks moondog.....i had enough trouble with my own though :D

12. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Agreed. At this rate, all he'll be finding is a kick in the pants :mad:

13. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

Chi means inner strength...

14. totality

totality New Member

i think it's actually the name of a field hockey team from bangladesh.

15. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

you're all wrong. Chi is a brand of soft drink here in Australia. It's a green bottle and it can be found in the soft drink section of most large supermarkets.

16. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

LiamCooke 18

Looks like the Know-it-all has struck again.
    LiamCooke 18 , be assure dyou indignation is perfectly justified.
    Syd has a proven track record of " CORRECTING and DISSMISSING " anything he encounters that is contrary to his thinking.
    Even his " Dont burn you bridges " smart alec retort hints of " Superiority and condescionn" as if to suggest that somehow you'd need his help one day.

LiamCooke 18, welcome to MAP, I hope you have lots of fun hear and learn heaps.
    Just be a little wary of people who talk like experts.
    To answer your question,according to Taoist definition, CHI is Life force energy.
    All living things humans, animals,plants have it.You need it to grow, heal wounds and ilnesses. You get it from Food, ChiKung and Meditation.
    You lose it thru mental/emotional stress, strenuous physical work, drugs/ smoking, excessive semen loss.
    Western science likes to define it as Bio-electricity, Bio Magnetism etc etc.
    Some like to completely change the original defination and say Chi is nothing more than efficientbody mechanics and optimal body alignment.

Internal Martial Artists ( IMA) strive to develop and collect more Chi to enable them to produce explosive force ( Fa Jing) with minimal physical / muscular exertion. Taoists cultivate the Chi in an attempt to attain immortality or at least longevity
    I don't believe Bruce Lee developed his Chi, but I do know his dad studied Tai Chi, but Bruce dismissed it as being "too slow" in learning and application. How wrong was he !

Please remember Bruce Lee is NOT the best fighter in the Chinese Martial Arts world. He's just the most famous competent fighter thanks to the movies. Bruce completed only 4 out of 5 forms of Wing Chun. Most of his senior classmates wouId have whipped his a*ss. It is no wonder that he dismissed Wing Chun and developed Jeet Kwan Do...to compensate for what he missed out in the 5th form.
    Some say Bruce's excessively strenuous style is not in accordance to strict Wing Chun technique ...it might explain why the blood vessel ruptured in his head at age 32. This wouldnt happen to Tai Chi people who tend to live to very old age due to the emphasis on relaxed method of fighting.

Hope this helps.

17. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

*LOL* Liam has finally found someone who he deserves! ;)

18. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

Syd had to arrogance to tell off liamcooke18 to write and spell in proper English. He was condescending in his tone.

Why should liamcook18 show any respect to those that dont show him any in the first place?
    Reread liamcook18's first posting in this thread and you'd find he did begin in a friendly manner and was promptly shot down by Syd.

Teenagers dont have a monopoly on INSOLENCE.

19. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

Here's comes that sneeering again

20. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Mate, really... get some therapy for whatever your hangup is and stop polluting the neighborhood. Nobody cares about your petty little vendetta anymore or the last post war in your mind that we seemed to have.

Why don't you show some of this Taoist wisdom and maturity that you seem to preach so strongly and just accept that some people in life are never going to agree with you.

Go ahead, make my Wu Wei! *LOL*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.