Finding a Hapkido club near me...

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by DanielSan88, Jun 29, 2009.

1. DanielSan88

DanielSan88 Valued Member

Hi guys I posted this in the Beginners Section earlier, but I think I may be more likely to get a response in this section of the forum :

...after watching Phillip and Simon Rhee in the Best of the Best films not too long ago, I discovered Hapkido. I started to research the style; reading articles and watching videos on Youtube. The style really interests me. Does anyone here know of any Hapkido clubs in the West Midlands area ?

I've already tried finding one on the google and related MA club listing sites but no luck so far... :(

Any information much appreciated,

Thanks.

2. Kraen

Kraen Valued Member

3. DanielSan88

Ok sorry about that. Won't do it again... :cool:

Can anyone help me out though ?

4. Yakka

Yakka Valued Member

Hapkido school near u?

Hi DanielSan88.
    It may be more difficult than you think to find an Authentic Hapkido School near you, the Midlands is not well covered. There are a couple in Leamington spa & I know of one in Derby (Master Sam Plum) European Hapkido Alliance but I have no knowledge of their quality of hapkido.
    If Hednesford, Cannock, Staffordshire is more in your travelling distance on a Wednesday Evening 7pm - 9pm. You may enjoy it at our club. We are Cannock Chase Hapkido and our 3x !st Dan instructors are trained and passed by Grand Master Fred Adams, Check out International Hapkido.com

best regards

Yakka

5. DanielSan88

Finding a Hapkido club in the Midlands really is like gold dust, to be honest the West Midlands is a bit of dead zone when it comes to a decent variety of MA styles. Thanks for your valuble information unfortunatley your club would be a little too far away for me to get to and Wednesday evenings is one of the days I do Karate training. But thank you, I appreciate your reply... :bow1:

I'll continue looking around the "dead zone" for a while, lol. :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  6. Yakka

Yakka Valued Member

Let me know if you find any, I always like to know of any new clubs in the area.
    Good luck with the Karate, I used to love that too

7. Mr Hatfield

Mr Hatfield Valued Member

Danielsan88,

There are many great programs throughout the country. We are a support organization to promote ongoing self-defense programs in existing schools. If you are currently studying martial arts, we would love to have self-defense videos from your system for HTV. If you are looking for a school, let us know where you live and we will send you to a local school that either teaches an ongoing program of self-defense, or might want to host a seminar and start a Hapkido/ Self Defense program in their existing school.
    Let us help… “Together We’re Better”
    Ty

8. Kraen

Kraen Valued Member

I don't believe you can teach Hapkido, or any style for that matter with just a few seminars. You need a dedicated instructor.

-Kraen

9. Mr Hatfield

First my friend im not alone in what I teach I have teachers that are Way Above me in Hapkdio. I feel sad and abit funny that for 29 year of Trained Martial Artist and also teaches in four Schools and Travels around the US only trying to help people with self defense.

I think you point is taken and true to a point you cant learn anything in a few seminars or from a few times of teaching. Im talking about some schools that dont even have any self defense and or hapkido. If you teach them at some training classes and or seminars they will learn something if the teaching is good.

I feel also that some hapkido or other kinds of school can always learn something.

Thanks though for the comment anyways.

Ty

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  10. Yakka

Yakka Valued Member

Respectfully... Danielsan is based in England UK

Yakka

11. Mr Hatfield

Yakka,

Soon might be teaching out in the UK :) I have to see what happens right now working on and with Schools in Chile, Brazil, Mexico, Canada, and the UK.

12. Yakka

Yakka Valued Member

My appologies Mr Hatfield, I thought you were just US based, I have now had a look at your website & understand what you are trying to achieve, good luck with your quest.

best regards
    Yakka

13. Mr Hatfield

Yakka,
    Thanks again :) Main thing we want to do is help people and spread hapkido though true self defense.

Ty Hatfield

14. DanielSan88

I just wish someone an instructor would by chance moVe into my area and set up a Hapkido school, but thats wishful thinking, lol. Thanks for your help anyway. :)

15. Kraen

Kraen Valued Member

16. Yakka

Yakka Valued Member

Yes the Hastings brothers Paul & David in Leaminton Spa are who I was refering to earlier, they have a good reputation as excellent Hapkido Instructors

Yakka

17. NYCHAPKIDO

NYCHAPKIDO New Member

Master Sam Plumb is one of only four non-Koreans to make it to the 7th Dan level in Korea Hapkido Federation style Hapkido. He is the real deal and earned his ranking through one of the KHF top Masters. Here is a list of other KHF schools in England if this is a help.

Duk Moo Academy United Kingdom
    Master Kim Beom 7th Dan
    Bishop Auckland
    Sunnydale Leisure Centre,
    Shildon, Bishop Auckland, England
    uk@dukmoo.com
    www.dukmoo.com

Paul Stobbart & Jade Alexandria Smith
    Teesside University
    Middlesbrough
    Tees Valley
    TS1 3BA UK
    dukmoouk@btinternet.com
    www.teessidehapkido.co.uk

Master Kim Beom 7th Dan
    Durham University
    Old Elvet
    Durham DH1 3HP, UK
    dukmoouk@btinternet.com

Matthew Dundon
    Northumbria University
    Ellison Place
    Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8ST UK
    dukmoouk@btinternet.com

Additional Duk Moo Dojangs located at :
    University of Newcastle
    University of Sunderland

School of Korean Martial Arts
    Master Sung
    64 Arlington Lodge,
    Monument Hill,
    Weybridge,
    Surrey KT13 8RD UK
    Tel: 44 1932 857 222
    info@skma.co.uk
    www.skma.co.uk

The Academy of Korean Martial Arts
    Master Sam Plumb
    3, St Augustine's Drive
    Chesterfield
    Derbyshire
    S40 2RH
    Tel: 01246 - 232006
    eha@hapki.co.uk
    www.hapki.co.uk

Kevin F. Donohue
    KHF-USA
    Chun Do Kwan
    New York, New York

18. Zach2k

Zach2k Valued Member

Did you (or anyone else) ever find a decent Hapkido club in the midlands?