Fights don't start from the knee's

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Gripfighter, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

How do so many people justify not learning how to wrestle alongside Jiu Jitsu ? in my opinion everywhere teaching BJJ should devote at least a couple of of class times to wrestling a week, it should be as ingrained into the sport as anything else, or at least Judo or Sambo. I see so many people at competitions that just have no clue what to do at the start of a fight and I just can't get my head around it, it negates even the most basic self defence benefits gained from training BJJ, I find this particularly bewildering if you train no gi, especially if you compete, its still pretty strange if your mainly gi though.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

its not something I like either. If I'm with someone halfway decent then whoever wants to work from on top will just push them down anyway. There's zero point wasting 2 minutes wrestling from your knees. It never happens either in self defence or in competition.

3. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I actually think practising your grip fighting when you start from the knee's is underrated, I'd say about 80 percent of the people I regularly roll with I can dictate whether I want to play top or bottom straight of the bat simply by throwing out an arm drag or if its gi taking a basic collar and sleeve grip and pushing them down, 80 percent simply accept this and flop to there back, but that's kind of a different thing from what I'm ranting about here, you actually need to know some stand up grips before you can think about practising them even when starting from the knee's ! there in lies the issue.

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i agree. i think it's important to get in some judo and no-gi/wrestling in training. instead of just gi fighting.

5. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

People do this? When the MMA place I went to worked on BJJ (which was often) it always started from the knees, but mostly because there was limited mat space and a ton of people. Then there are wrestling days where it's all standing. Then there are days with few people and you start from standing and go to ground fighting.

I can't imagine a place just always training on their knees. I thought learning a few takedowns from standing was "part of it" and not an optional bit?

6. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

its not even so much what the gym does I find, especially MMA gyms were there will always be a wrestling class, allot of the time its on the individual, people will just come to BJJ classes and never really think about stand up until they go to a competition, to me thats weird, even worse are people who want to fight MMA but don't like wrestling classes and Iv seen this a few times, in that case its just laziness in my opinion because wrestling kicks your fitness's ass in a way striking and grappling don't and at first it seems like something that's impossible to ever get good at in a way striking and grappling doesn't, but again that's kind of another issue i.e everyone wants to be a fighter but they don't really want to learn how to fight.

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Interesting outlook, I couldn't imagine trying to compete in a BJJ comp. without having also trained stand up techniques, even if it were just a few things. From what I see they all start standing up!

Wrestling certainly does bring a different level of fitness. When comparing it to striking (boxing for me) the difference in aerobic and anaerobic fitness was certainly apparent. The only thing that might go "numb" in boxing is your shoulders, in wrestling you can potentially fall over from exhaustion and feel numb everywhere :p. The most I've ever been exhausted from MA training was during times the classes were about wrestling, and in a much shorter time frame than striking or BJJ sessions.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  8. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

There will always be a big difference between people who "want to learn to fight" and people who actually learn to fight.

Every Beejer should learn to apply themselves in stand up, just like every kung fuer should learn to apply themselves on the ground.

9. mattt

mattt Valued Member

My bjj class always follows this pattern:

30 minutes technique - starting with takedowns, then working from the floor.
    30 minutes rolling- 4 6 minute rounds starting from the feet.

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Knee wrestling is only good for fighting midgets. every minute spent doing that is a minute wasted I could of spent pulling guard or passing, the crossover to actual take downs is minimal.

Wrestling and Judo are great, but BJJ standup grappling for Gi comps is a bit different to both of these.

At the moment I take an outside Judo class, a Nogi takedowns class, and also drill BJJ Gi comp specific grip fighting, jumping, pulling guard and their counters in the BJJ classes I coach, in the last 4 weeks before competition.

11. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

if your training for Wrestling and Judo rules, not if you tailor them for what your going to be doing, and really what differences are there other than your opponent can pull guard really ? important to be aware of certainly but does it negate wrestling (jacketed or not), your dealing with the same human body what ever the style of grappling.

doesn't mean they shouldn't be called out on it, especially if they have shown they can put the work in in the two other areas of striking and ground grappling, even worse if they compete, neglecting any aspect of the game should not be excused if your going to get in the cage and represent your team, although I think you may not have realised I was referring to people who want to be MMA fighters going by your mention of kung fu.

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I don't think you'd have to alter your wrestling/sambo/judo style that much to make it applicable to BJJ comps.

13. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

training for comps specifically is smart but yeah almost not at all, arms are arms, legs are legs, the ground is the ground and the clinch is the clinch.

14. Dead_pool

At lower Levels, Bjj base is much lower, they pull guard at the drop of a hat and they stiff arm far too much, you can't wrestle if you can't prevent\cope with the stiff arm off the cross lapel and if you try to judo them, some attacks leave you vulnerable to the guard pull or their own counter attacks.

Its not that different, but it is different.

My favorite is outside foot trips, very low risk, very high reward and let's you pass guard off it easily when it works.

15. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

maybe its just me Fusen but the way I look at it someone pulling guard really isn't that big a deal, if anything its a confidence boost knowing they didn't want to stand with me and duke it out for take down points and a possible side control or better start point when it hits the deck, and stiff arming is a problem in low level Judo and Sambo too, the low base thing is smart wrestling but I think were getting our wires crossed as far as talking about gi and no gi here.

16. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

They actually banned backing up more than (two?) steps when someone butt-scoots on you, so it really does negate standing grappling. All you have to do is sit down and move in a bit and he is required by the ruleset to engage on the ground. I think some places require you to get grips before sitting down.

17. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

IBJJF Rules ? most comps I go too butt scooting is illegal.

18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You also have to remember that if you don't pull guard correctly it can count as a takedown against you. (Your opponent puts a hand on your leg before you go down, at least that's what the IBJJF says)

19. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Its legal so long as you make contact first

20. Dead_pool

Thats what standing passing is for!