Fighting Multiple Opponents

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by hongkongfuey, Apr 17, 2002.

1. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

We used to train fighting 2 opponents simultaneously. This could be done quite effectivly by always keeping one opponent between you and the other oppenent. If you were quick you could be fighting 1-1 for most or all of the time. This would obviously not work for 3 or more opponents.

Has anyone ever been in a situation (inside the Dojo or outside) where they have had to fight multiple opponents? I'm particularly interested in situations with 3 or more. Any thoughts about this subject welcome.

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Regardless of the number, use the opponents against each other. Try to keep them in each other's way. Use locks, balance disruption, sweeps, throws, etc. to knock them into each other. Keep moving. Don't get too focused on any one opponent or another will clock you from behind. Use the environment to restrict their avenues of attack (i.e.: get your back to a wall or get into a doorway or hallway (assuming you are relatively sure that one of the bad guys won't come from behind you. Make your way toward the exit and take it at the first realistic opportunity.

Probably the most important aspect, though, is aggression. Keep attacking and try not to let any of them get behind you. Treat multiple attackers like a life threatening situation because the mob mentality will tend to take over and, even without weapons, they're very likely to keep stomping you until you're dead (or nearly so). Don't hesitate to injure, maim, or kill. There are exceptions to this, of course. If you're just rough housing with several friends then some of this won't apply, of course, but overall, the principle will be the same you'll just have to key it down to the appropriate level.

Mike

3. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

One of the dangers with injuring / maiming / killing on multiple opponents is that if you do not 'finish the job' with all opponents and manage to get pinned down by the remainder then you are in a lot of trouble. If you have just put 2 of their friends in hospital (or worse) then they aint going to let you go with a slap on the wrist!

Saying that, there is more chance of causing them to run away if they realise that at least one or two of them will become seriously injured in a confrontation with you. Suppose it all depends on reading the situation accuratley.

I'll still stick to my secret 400m sprint technique.

4. Pablo

Pablo New Member

Ahh yes, the art of Roman Foot Fighting ( otherwise known as 'Track').
    :D

Superior running skills might be put to use against multiple opponents (under the right circumstances) by stringing them out in a pursuit, and then dealing with them one by one.
    If you are being attacked by an angry running squad, you may be out of luck tho.

As to your first point, the transition from 2 opponents to 3 or more may involve not just keeping one *between* you and the others, but shoving that one INTO the others so as to 'trip them up'. More manipulation than evasion.

paul

Last edited: Apr 17, 2002
  5. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Be very agressive, take out the leader first, move around a lot, don't get tied up, forget the locks, take downs, etc. just hit fast, hard and something important, pick up something as a weapon if you can, and run when you get the chance.

6. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

We practice three on one occasionally, the trick seems to be that you deliver powerful, single techniques and then back away. Whenever they start to get too close move forward and attack one of the three at the edge, then move off away from them all and wait.

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

If anyones ever been in a fight where your facing multiple opponents you soon realise that the majority of the time your going to take a kicking. The principles described above are (moving, single hard shots, using one guy to shield you from another) all good stuff but I was just wanting to inject a dose of reality here.
    I've been attacked by multiple opponents on more than one occasion, the worst being kicked in by five guys down a side street in broad daylight, I used that age old technique of battering one guy off all wall and legging it onto a more high profile street, I'm probably lucky to be alive (better still I've still got all my original teeth).

So I believe that even the best trained of us shouldn't even entertain such notions of taking on more than one opponent (two if you got a good hard right cross).

Thanx

p.s This all goes out the window if they're 30 kung fu trained guys, 'cause they just come after you one at a time ;)

8. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

In a huff

Not true about the Kung-fu guys.....some times we line up and throw our attacks late as well!!!!

In any event...abscense of body is better than presence of mind.

9. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

I agree with Freeform.
    but when it comes down to it i think its 10% technique and 90% luck to defending your self from more than 1 attacker two things to think about 1. you dont know what the other two plus people do (if they do MA or boxing) and 2. 90% luck for the 10% technique........for you need it to run away.
    why luck well you need it so you dont come up to a dead end when running away and so you can find a way of escaping if not try your best!!!!

10. waya

waya Valued Member

Honestly I disagree.....

Most multiple attacker situations are actually easier because they don't have any sort of strategy.... you can easily use them against each other and defeat both or escape rather than facing one person that has their head together.... given my choice I would prefer 2 or 3 on one rather than one on one.

Rob

11. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Waya, how does your strategy change if you have a ward? I mean girlfriend or sister or something, yet you still have multiple attackers.

12. STASH

STASH New Member

A while ago I was faced with a situation with multiple attackers. I knew these guys from before so I decided to just focus on the leader of the group. I beat him really, really bad and when his buddies saw that he wasnt getting up any time soon they backed off. I'm not saying that this is the most effective way of dealing with this kind of threat, but it worked for me. Unfortunetly there were consequences I had to deal with, (check: I got my black belt taken away, in the general discussion).