Fedor vs. Sylvia?

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by callsignfuzzy, Apr 9, 2008.

1. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

According to Sherdog:http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=12220 they've agreed to fight this summer. If it goes through, the article mentions, it would be Fedor's first ranked opponent since Crocop.

Thoughts? Personally I think Fedor's too quick for Tim in the standup, and will probably take him down for an arm bar submission. Of course he may just ride out the decission, like he did against Schilt. I'm not sure what the long-term implications are. It doesn't look like it'll be with a major organization, so this lacks mainstream exposure. If Fedor wins, he'll have beaten an unpopular and often dull fighter who's only notable wins are over Arlovski and Ricco. If he looses it'll elevate Tim in the hardcore fans eyes, but I'm not sure if the mainstream US fans will care.

2. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Interesting fight. I personally think Sylvia is very underrated as a fighter. He's been on the ground with an ADCC champ and wasn't even close to getting submitted and his standup is as solid as anyones, if not the most exiting!

I think Tim's got a chance if he keeps Fedor at a distance and jabs to a decision. he could get a KO but it'll be tough cos Fedors so quick and has an excelent chin.

Personally though I reckon Fedor will take a punch or two to get in a clinch, get a trip takedown and then Tim will be tapping from an armbar so fast it'll make his head spin!

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I personally like Tim - I think he's a good fighter with a good heart and a good attitude. I hope he has some success against fedor, but I doubt he'll be able to finish the fight or even get a decision.

Magnanimous fight though . . . 2 huge stars . . . should be excellent.

4. Elemental One

Elemental One Valued Member

I'm looking foward to this fight, Slyvia is really underrated by the MMA community.

5. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Monson wasn't really submitting people left and right at the ADCC. He tended to outscore people instead. He also got hurt early on and was only trying to survive for most of the fight, but Tim refused to risk actually doing anything. I don't think that proves anything about Tim Sylvia's incredible submission defense any more than it proves Monson can stand and trade with anyone.

6. tkdkraig

tkdkraig New Member

I have a hard time comeing up with a scenario where Tim wins this fight. But I would like to see it!

7. griffinkenpo

griffinkenpo New Member

Tims only chance is to come out throwing leather, if he lays back and jabs Fedor will destroy him:woo:

8. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

errr

fedor will win.

no questions asked.

I don't even need an explanation for this one.