Fear in general

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Judderman, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

What are the most common fears your students express about self protection and how do you help over come those fears?

Do you still hold any fears as experienced instructors or users of self protection?

Budo.

2. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

No one?

3. USHY

USHY New Member

it´s not about loosing your fears, its about useing them.. Fear keeps you atentive

4. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

So what were your fears and how did you overcome them in order to use them?

5. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

This is a good one.

My biggest fear is messing up or getting hit in a personal-protection situation because people know I am an instructor and many know I have been in a LOT of altercations and some have seen me in those altercations so they put me up so high on this fighting pedal stool that I can't let them down.

Now I know that I am not as great as some think I am and I could be beat at any time giving the right person at the right time.

So I try not to think about it and just do what I have to do and if I mess up oh well S**t Happens!

A quote form a Chinese master: " It is not unmasterly to stumble but masterly to regain balance and not fall"

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

My fear BEFORE a fight is that I will not live to see my wife, family or friends again. I do not fear losing because when I do fight it is always fpr a purpose, be that defence or in the course of my job.

When I am actually in the fight I am usually in "no mind". All I am concerned with is the there and then - nothing that has been, nothing that will be and nothing that may be will intrude on my actions because that is when I find doubt creeps in. I try and use a similar approach to training - the feeling of "living in the moment". It is hard to put into words, but you will know what I mean if you hav experienced it.

Many years ago I used to have a fear of getting hit. I did not know how I would react or what what happen. Then I got chinned really hard in sparring and it wasn't as bad as I thought. It bloody hurt, but over the years you just accept it as a part of combat. Ultimately confronting this fear through sparring meant that ot does not "phase" me in the street. A punch in the street will either not bother me or knock me cold - there is no ireal in-between so I need not worry about the consequences when it happens.

Always remind students that everyone feels fear. My favourite quote is from Rickson - "I am afraid of everything...the man who feels no fear is stupid"

7. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

In my experience, a lot of women fear that if they respond aggessively in a self-defence situation it'll make it worse, whereas criminal pyschlogists tend to say that the more a woman fights back when attacked, the more likely she is to get away.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Very true. The ethos behind a lot of sex attacks is power as much as carnal satisfaction. Rapists and indeed muggers want victims rather than opponents

9. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

My biggest BIGGEST fear as a martial artist is overestimating my skill :D

10. hkphooey

hkphooey New Member

My fear is contronting that deadly situation. I have had my own, and yes it was a grave type, and I'm still here today. But I now understand much better everything that surrounds a bad situation and its not a place I want to be. I can only hope that if faced with those same type of curcumstances I will be able to apply my training and survive.

11. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I guess my biggest fear is having a situation arise when I have my children with me. I think I could come up with some sort of plan if I were alone but having the kids safety involved would distract to such a degree that I really question how effective I would be.

12. dolphindreamer

dolphindreamer New Member

Yes loads

I'm not trained in spacific martial art so i have never learned to get rid of these fears but if you thought you had no fears then wouldn't you be scared that perhapos you do have feers.

Dolphin Dreamer :)

13. hkphooey

hkphooey New Member

Its not about not having FEAR, fear can be a good thing. It keeps you on the edge, keeps you from making stupid dangerous decisions and it can be a powerfull force in a scary situation.

"Courage is acting in spite of fear. "
    Howard W. Hunter

14. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

yes, not reacting fast enough ......

getting over that log jam and actively doing something instead of being a victim

15. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Kinda with Reiki on this one. Not responding quick enough.

I can be hard on myself. I think things like "should have done that" or "why didn't I notice that" and so on. I get over quickly. I'm alive and uninjured. Chalk it up to experience.

Budo.