Favourite TKD pattern.........

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by FireMedic, May 10, 2004.

1. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

Favourite patterns have to be Kwang-Gae and Juche.

2. paulol

paulol Valued Member

By the way I was not talking about the one where you place the arms inside the grab.

I'm talking about smashing the forearms with the ready position on L-10 & L-11. Bringing the attackers chin out. Exposing a double thumb knuckle strike to ST-10 or ST-9 instead of the block. Then excuting the kick as they fall back. :D :woo: :D

3. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Took me a couple of seconds to work this out but I think I see where you're coming with this.

Niiiiicccceee :)

4. Twimyo Jirugi

Twimyo Jirugi Me, but not

My fave would have to be my current one: Do San

It's far more interesting than Chon-Ji and it has kciks, whihc Dan Gun was lacking. Oh, and the finger thrusts are fun^^

5. Zen TKD Warrior

Zen TKD Warrior New Member

I've read a few postings here and have questions.

When you answer the question could you possibly state the name of your org. - WTF, ITF, ITA, ATA, et al. We all don't use the same names for our forms and not in the same belt color.

For the record - Hwa Rang - purple belt form - ITA. I love round kicks and this is the first form to use them. Also the down strike movement and the low X block - cool.

6. FireMedic

FireMedic New Member

Very good idea Zen.................:yeleyes:

7. shalomdokwan87

shalomdokwan87 Valued Member

me personaly i like the palgwe forms

8. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

what do you think of the release move?

I like the 360 backfist in it. I wish it had 2 fingertip thrusts in it though, one left hand one right hand.

9. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Bear in mind that patterns frequently vary from school to school due to a lack of continuity in curriculum among different schools even in the same organization. Then again there are schools such as mine that prefer not to be in an organization.

So for the most part it may be best to reference the particular patter set that you do in this case..... the:

Chon-Ji pattern set or the Chang-hon patterns
    Palgue ("original" WTF patterns )
    Taegeuk (most recently developed patterns for the WTF, developed to replace the older Palgue pattern set)

... some schools do Shotokan patters also
    Heian (Pyong-Ahn) Patterns
    Tekki 1 - 3

10. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Kickchick - I've read this thread to the end, and you have provided me solace. I have achived Green belt in Tang Soo Do, an art that I thought was closely related to TKD, and I haven't recognised ANY of the forms until now.

It could be a 'spelling' problem that I am not linking the words with the sounds they make [check my sig :D ], or it could be that you simply do a completely different set of forms to us.

We are being taught the Pyung Ahn forms, and it was a surpise to the Shokotan karate class that I have been invited to attend that I know the basic moves of their forms better than their higher belt students. (I attend purely for extra training time - no attempt to change my style).

The higher grades in my own school include Chul Sung, Nihanchi, Ba Saih, and others that I can't remember without the book. Are these other names for what everyone else has been talking about? Or are we from different planets (MArtistically)??

Currently learning Pyung Ahn Oh Dan, and was pleasently surprised at how short it was. (I thought I had been taught 75%, but it was actually complete :D )

11. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

OOPS.....

.... forgot about the Jhoon Rhee Martial Ballet forms, and the Song Am Forms

12. FireMedic

FireMedic New Member

wow, I guess you really do learn somthing new everyday. Thanks for the info KC.

13. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

:D

The five Pyong-Ann kata (based upon the five Heian katas) are also practises in TSD and MDK schools.
    Nihanchi kata are very powerful kata of the Shorin-Ryu system and the (Ba Saih) Bassai Kata being from Shotokan

14. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

A fount of knowledge - I bow to your experience and wisdom. :)

Thanks for all...

15. Buxton TKD

Buxton TKD New Member

I think all the patterns are good for allowing students to learn. But i think pattern Moon Moo is very good to look at, and has won me a few patterns comps in the past

Tae Kwon

16. shalomdokwan87

shalomdokwan87 Valued Member

what it is is a spear with the righthand after the kick

17. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

:confused: .... what is this in response to????

18. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

I'm going to a seminar with Master Willie Lim this Wednesday! I can't wait now.
    I totally agree about the U shape block in Joong Gun. I was told it was for blocking a pole but i can't imagine ever having to block a pole in that way. :confused:

Anyway my favourite pattern is Hwa Rang but i feel that the more i improve at Choong Moo then the more i like it. As for black belt patterns i like to watch Moon Moo for the side kicks and Yoo Sin because i find it amazing for someone to be able to remember 68 moves! :D

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  19. Qdmasta

Qdmasta Valued Member

My favorites are Toi-gye and Ge-baek. I can't seem to choose one.

20. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Of all the systems I have studied (which include Mood Duk Kwan, Palgwe, Tae Guk) I enjoy the Pyeung Ahn hyung the most for gup level hyungs. As for over all hyung I enjoy RaHei (may be callled LoHai). Great from!! I have been working on Jion and enjoy that quite a bit as well. The higher level black belt forms in Moo Duk Kwan are really very enjoyable.

I am not to crazy about the Tae Guk poomse because htey are wrought with "walking stances" Walking stances remind me of Egyptian heirglyphs and have no place in korean hyung/poomse in my opinion.