Favourite Throw?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Kuniku, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Point your toes folks , dont reap with the heel .....:woo:

Smurf

2. mattt

mattt Valued Member

This throw is more of a bump with your thigh, the bump comes nicely from stomping your heel (on the ground). It's not a reap.

3. Alansmurf

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2013
  4. Alansmurf

Not o soto gari....o soto gake perhaps

5. mattt

mattt Valued Member

It isn't either, just the entry is in osoto style and the chin/neck push is akin to the lapel kuzushi.

6. Alansmurf

I know the move you mean... but not its name ...

7. mattt

mattt Valued Member

As you might be able to deduce from my last few posts I'm in a similar position to you here.

8. Alansmurf

Lol....photo needed...

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Osoto gari.

10. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Osoto otoshi perhaps?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izHL_CDSx_Q"]o soto otoshi - YouTube[/ame]

11. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Seo Nage - Cuz nothing says fun like flying through the air.

12. mattt

mattt Valued Member

It's not a Judo throw. But a decent interpretation.

13. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Yeah, I learned the throw you're talking about when I did jujutsu. It's pretty good and useful for a fight scenario against a non grappler, very powerful.

14. mattt

mattt Valued Member

All throws are good in a fight scenario against non grapplers.

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Old saying said, "If your opponent is a non grappler, if you throw him to the east, he won't dare to fall to the west".

Can you get any satisfaction by throwing a non grappler?

The front cut (Osoto gari) is the easiest one to be used in combat. It's very similiar to the wrestler's "single leg", except a wrestler uses his hands to do his leg job. Why wrestlers don't use this move? I still have not figured it out yet.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  16. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Wrestlers tend to stay way too far forward (setting up and defending the shot) to make the osoto gari commonly useful. Ashi garami is very popular among a certain group though.

My big issue is that peope either reach with the osoto and get osoto'd themselves or they twist with it and blow up knees. I tend to stay away from it entirely unless someone hands me one.

17. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

At the end of training last night I was told to go through the first 18 of the 30 throws I have to do as part of my Shodan grading. The sensei watching was told to be very nit picky on his criticisms (I was doing the techniques on the main sensei)

Overall he said they were all very good, and a good improvement on the last time he watched me doing them, he did point out that on my body drops my leg wasn't going all the way past my uke's legs. I tried a few afterwards and found that it was because they were already on their way down while my leg was still extending.

I put this down to me being a good bit taller than my uke, and having very broad shoulders so that to get my hand closest to him into his armpit (like this variation in the sylabus requires) requires more of a turn away from the uke than anyone else in the class needed.

Both Sensei said that it's not a massive problem, and that the throw is still very effective, but weren't quite sure on how to 'correct' the problem lol

18. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Try telling your opponents to step around your tai-otoshi with their lead leg if they can. Should make it much more difficult for you to pull off the full throw without full extension.

19. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

Thanks Aegis, I'll give that a shot =)

20. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Vote for Tai Otoshi here especially if dropping into Makikomi. Still wince when remember when my Judo instructor first threw me with this and the feeling of my organs bouncing around my torso!

Also would have to say O Goshi as well as its a bread and butter throw with so many variants.

Special love for Kani Basami (leg scissor throw) as it was one of my favourite takedowns which I learned when I was studying Shotokan and I can pull it off generally with a high degree of success. Playing with adding it to my knockdown strategy for later in the year, bit hard to do in sparring as most Kyokushin guys do not study Ukemi and I don't think my instructor would approve.

Shame its been banned from Judo through.

Osu!

Dan93