favorite kick

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by neryo_tkd, Oct 10, 2003.

1. praying-mantis

praying-mantis New Member

Sorry for my lack of knowledge about TKD,

I thought that with all those kicks, you probably try to keep the opponent at long range, I didn't know that there are also self-defense and weapons included.

praying-mantis

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

No need to apologize... I think most people who may not have trained in TKD tend to make an impression from Olympic style tournaments and granted, there are many schools that focus mainly on this style. Other schools try to focus on a more rounded set of skills.

Different kicks work at different ranges... for me if someon eis using long range attacks, I will go close and vice versa... so even in tournament style we need various ranges.

On the topic of favorite kicks... I'd have to go with the basics and say "side kick" although I really love the hook kick (spinning, step up, or lead leg).

3. Twimyo Jirugi

Twimyo Jirugi Me, but not

Definately has to be a Twimyo Yopcha Jirugi (Flying Side Piercing Kick)

PS. neryo, in Orthodox/ITF TKD, there are no weapons. The art is enough, that's why it was devised. You're hardly gonna pull out a katana or nekode claws when you're attacked on the street.

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  4. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

360° reverse turning/back kick. This works wonders in competition, especially if you parry an opponent's kick with your back leg first. Then just jump up and send them to the floor with your standing leg (which was originally your front leg).

5. FireMedic

FireMedic New Member

I would definatley say at this time I love the jumping and spin kicks. My fav has to be the jumping back kick. As said above....works real well in sparring.

6. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

Whip kick :yeleyes:

7. kareem

kareem New Member

my favorite jumping kick is flying side kick... which has been my signature demo kick since forever. but ive been practicing on a 540 degree back spinning hook kick, but of course i had to make it 10 times more difficult by first doing and inverted round kick, and then tornado roundhouse with the other leg and finally be4 landing finish it off with the back spinning hook kick. i now it sounds complicated and trust me it is but it is very pretty to watch. now sparring is another story i would have to say reverse cresent kick =also known as that axe kick your so fond of.

8. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Either Head Hook

or

Dropping Spin

My two favourites :D

9. RonR

RonR Valued Member

I like the front leg hook & round house.
    RonR

10. Din

Din 3rd dan

jumping back kick, spinning turning kick, reverse swing.
    its hard to choose i like all the kicks actually.

11. Kwondo

Kwondo 3rd Dan WTF Taekwondo

I love to just practise spinning hook kick, I like push kick while sparring and I love to watch the flying ones used in demos usually. Like 360 degree flying back kick

12. TKDIreland

TKDIreland TKDIreland Kicks Ass!!

well for just goofin around its definatly 360 kick but for competition i dunno well 45 kick works side kick on the odd occasion front snap kick aslways gets them. n axe kick not always gets them defiantly surprises them :rolleyes: :D

13. Mawi

Mawi Banned Banned

most TKD kicks are snap kicks. But i do TKD and Muay thai giveing me power behind my kicks so MY fav kick would be a a duble roundhouse kick but the second kick is a knee blow.... This a a great kick that let you close to your opennt and land a knee that would cause temendos pain.

(thou i got respect of TKD a muay thai roundhouse can kill any thing in its way) :D

14. Derrick

Derrick New Member

...any I can land on an opponent... :rolleyes:

15. Spaceman

Spaceman New Member

Jumping spinning back kick, and before i land, i try to throw in a spinning heel off the the other foot. Works well if it connects, surprises the hell out of your competitor, and normally sends them floor-ward!! Plus its a crowd pleaser.

Only do that kick, if i am up by a couple of points.
    Otherwise, jumping axe kick with a inside-out cresent kick before landing.

When practising tho, im working on a 540 spinning heel with cresent kick. Going to take a while tho, just got back from 8 weeks of doing nothing, almost broke ankle playing bball :(

16. Smokemare

Smokemare ITF TKD 2nd Dan

The kicks I'd most like to be able to perform well are SangBang Chagi, or twin direction kick ( Twisting kick to the front, back kick in the opposite direction -.) It's in Juche, and it's a tough one to get right.

Secondly a kick I've heard of but never seen - somersaulting twin foot axe kick, where you throw yourself into a somersault towards your opponent and land an axe kick with both feet on each shoulder....

17. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Twin foot axe kick? Commonly known as the Tumbling Kick in ITF Taekwondo. Not in any patterns, but it is in the General's Encyclopedia. It can be performed frontwards or backwards, and is mainly for demonstration purposes. The flying two-direction kick in Juche is sidewards, isn't it? The kick itself isn't really the hard part IMHO, retracting your legs and landing in the L-stance is ^_^

18. Smokemare

Smokemare ITF TKD 2nd Dan

Hmmm, haven't seen the tumbling kick (I do ITF!) but I only own the condensed Encyclopedia and it might not be in that.

On SangBang, you might be right - I only passed a few weeks ago so I only just finished learning the sequence (Gimmee a break - 45, 52, 44 in four weeks ?!) You are probably right about the landing being harder though. In Juche you are supposed to land in Sasun Sogi, which is like a sitting stance but with hte right foot backwards slightly, performing a twin palm rising block... It's nasty, but it looks good when done well....

19. kareem

kareem New Member

now that i think about it another one of my favorite jumping kicks is the scissors kick. becuz i have long legs and very flexible its looks really nice. my hang time is so bad either.

20. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

Favourite kick - fake back leg sidekick (using right leg), jump reverse turning hooking kick (using left leg). I thought I had made it up but I saw it on that Korean tigers video clip that was posted on here - only they change stance then use the back leg to kick, rather than faking a sidekick.

I like it because it surprises most people to see me flying like that as I'm a fairly large chap ;)

What is this tornado kick? How does it work - I've heard about it, but never seen it.